Your viewing journal

Pokemon Black & White Ep.23-25

Sigh, Team Rocket are going to go back to being idiots aren't they?

At least Emolga is super cute and easily the Pokemon with the most personality in quite some time.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Ep.3

It didn't help that the Team Rocket v Team Plasma 2-parter was shelved due to the Tohoku Earthquake. They do get more serious again later on though.

Professor Irony said:
Little Nemo - Osamu Dezaki Pilot (1987)

Seeing Little Nemo mentioned on Google's front page today prompted me to have another look for this ten-minute pitch film, which I failed to track down several years ago. Compared to the shorter (and more well known?) Andy Gaskill/Yoshifumi Kondo pilot film from '84, this one is far more impressive in scope, with plenty of surreal imagery and Dezaki's distinctive directiorial style obviously shining through. I think it's a tremendous shame that Dezaki wasn't given the job, as the pilot is beautiful to look at and I'm sure the film would have been assured cult status on strength of its visuals alone. In saying that, I can well imagine that the sight of the increasingly alien dreamscapes was probably thought too bizarre for a children's film of the time, especially after the financial failure of Disney's dark fantasy, The Black Cauldron, in 1985.

Having said all that, I've actually never seen the Little Nemo film that did finally get a release, so I'll need to pick up the DVD :)
I,m sure you know but if not,Discotek are releasing Little Nemo on Blu-ray next month with both dub and sub,the dvd release is dub only,as for the actual movie it is nice enough and charming but you will be left with the the feeling of what could have been,but still an essential purchase if only for historic reasons.

Ah right, I'd heard that Discotek was doing a BD release, but I didn't realise it had the Japanese audio on it. I'll be sure to hang on for that one.

Honestly, it's getting to the point where I might as well just keep Discotek on a retainer, sending them a fixed amount every month in exchange for whatever they happen to be releasing...

Professor Irony said:
Ah right, I'd heard that Discotek was doing a BD release, but I didn't realise it had the Japanese audio on it. I'll be sure to hang on for that one.

Honestly, it's getting to the point where I might as well just keep Discotek on a retainer, sending them a fixed amount every month in exchange for whatever they happen to be releasing...
I know what you mean,they are such a breath of fresh air these past years and i,m always excited to see what they will release next,i still cant believe they are releasing Cutey Honey and Mazinger Z next year that news just blew me away.It,s just a shame they could not get Galaxy Express 999 and with out question they would have done the series justice,it will be interesting to see how the S'more Entertainment release turns out in ways of video quality and subs,i,m not expecting much though but it is good i suppose that Galaxy Express 999 is finally getting a domestic release but a show of such legendary status should be in better hands.

I stayed up way too late watching Kanon was only planning to watch the first half but ended up dragged in and up to the wee small hours watching the lot.

It was a superlative piece of television, with engaging characters and just the right blend of humour and sorrow. It certainly tugged on my dusty old heart-strings!

Doraemon666 said:
Professor Irony said:

I know what you mean,they are such a breath of fresh air these past years and i,m always excited to see what they will release next,i still cant believe they are releasing Cutey Honey and Mazinger Z next year that news just blew me away.

I agree with both you, I really admire Discotek for having the balls to continue to release older classic anime when so many publishers (and fans) are so dismissive of it, I was gobsmacked with Samurai Pizza Cats but Mazinger Z is the icing on the cake!

Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse - Episode 15

I feel more pointless episodes are ahead.

Yeah, long may they continue. I can hardly wait to see what Discotek pick up next!

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - ep2

I'm thinking of trying to get this genre tagged as "EPIC HATS" on MAL and ANN. Honestly though, I cannot remember the last time I was this enthusiastic about a shonen series. It's like Fist of the North Star finally stopped taking itself so seriously.

Tokyo Marble Chocolate 1-2 - was the only two shorts for the "Anime Shorts" showing at SLA today, and this was pretty damned nice. It was a short, but very sweet couple of episodes basically about a couple who couldn't find the words to express how they felt for one another(and had deemed themselves worthless all the time) and cover it pretty nicely. The two episodes basically do a "his side, her side" kind of thing which adds to the episodes a fair bit. What i can definitely say i did love about it was the art, there was no CG, it all looked fairly hand drawn, and it added to the charm. It's well worth watching if you can find it, and even more so if you got a chance to today.

Mass Effect: Paragon Lost - This kind of defeats the "anime shorts" title, since it was an hour and a half long, but it was an interesting watch. For one it was in english(which was fine, considering it's a western aimed project), and for two, it was the mass effect anime everyone has probably heard some here-say about along the way. The story was pretty interesting, and it kept to the ME mythos well enough, however the characters where all your typical archetypes, womaniser, new recruit, run-of-the-mill hero, you get the idea. What didn't help them, was the dialogue. At times, it was fine, at other points, it was extremely cringe-worthy. It felt decently paced though, the action was enjoyable and the end was pretty good too. All in all, it was a pleasant surprise, especially when my only thought going into this is "how much are they going to cock this up", and they didn't, for the most part. Just, dialogue needed work.

Saw Wolf Children over the weekend. Came in 20 mins late thanks to the awful state of trains in London on Sunday (and a girlfriend who wouldn't leave the poor hedgehog alone long enough to get ready to leave) but it hardly seemed to matter. Wow was it a long film.

Great though, pretty sure it's my favourite work Hosoda has directed so far. Nothing really too clever about it but it's very cute.

Back