Your viewing journal

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE - Episode 46

Kio just bugs the hell out of me, gonna be interesting to see how it ends.

Space Brothers - Episode 22

Continues to be brilliant!

Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse - Episode 10

This is now getting back on track.

King of Braves GaoGaiGar - Episodes 1 - 5 (Rewatch)

I watched a horrible HK DVD set of this originally and am now watching it properly, I enjoyed it first but it is much better than I remember and I can appreciate now just what a good looking series GGG is.

Re: Re:

Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu Utakoi 7-10

So good! This series was even better for having been watched in a chunk like this as the relatively minor characters popping up again didn't have a chance to be forgotten. I love the OP, and the art style, and the setting, and the short story format. I dislike almost every character when they're first introduced but by the end of their tales I'm always cheering for them. I hate the ED and the way everyone dies tragically so quickly; it may genuinely have been like that back in those days but nonetheless it's very depressing when it keeps happening. They killed Ishida Akira's character barely ten minutes after his first line *sob*...

Kuroko No Basuke 19-22

After pausing at a cruel moment, I'm finally caught up again. I'm still not really sure what to make of Teppei, but it's so exciting waiting to see what the boys come up with to improve further. Kuroko himself remains a strangely compelling lead for such a quiet person.

The Ambition Of Oda Nobuna 6-7

Easily the biggest surprise of this season from a Rui perspective. It's not my favourite series airing at the moment, but first I wasn't going to watch it at all due to genre fatigue. Then I watched the OP and the first episode, and thereafter I was hooked. The petite characters and dorky humour still remind me of the Koihime Musou anime, but the formula of the show - dredging up famous historical stories then usually subverting them in some absurd way by bringing the premise or Saru's unique way of thinking into the picture - makes it oddly compelling. If I was to have any criticism I'd prefer it if people were a little more bloodthirsty at times, and a couple of the character designs do absolutely nothing for me. Looking forward to catching up further tonight...

fabricatedlunatic said:
ilmaestro said:
(And also it implied that there was even the slightest flaw with AnoHana, which I can't take lying down...)
Well, now that you mention it... ehhh, on second thought, maybe I won't go there.

Anaru, though, eh? Phwoar, etc.

I'll stick with Tsuruko :3

Since I watched Anohana semi-recently for the first time courtesy of NISA, I'll bite...

For the first few episodes I had what I assume to be close to fabricatedlunatic's overall reaction to the series: it definitely seemed good, but not great, and I didn't see why I was supposed to care about the youthful and mostly annoying cast (other than Tsuruko) and their problems, which were thrust at me trustingly from the outset. I was almost disappointed; not because it was a bad show but because my expectations had been very high (thanks, Internet). However, in spite of this and the fact that I have a black heart and generally hate cute things, once a few more episodes had passed I suddenly started getting completely swept up in everything and it was hard not to shed tears and embarrass myself in front of my other half when watching. Especially during the cruelly nostalgic ED theme, which I rushed out and bought after finishing the series. So I guess I ended up more in ilmaestro's camp, as the show ended up completely bewitching me with its earnest quality. And I have to grudgingly now admit that everyone in it is adorable :/

My other half loved it too, though he can't remember the names of any of the characters for some reason (them all having nicknames seems to give him trouble). Separation is a very powerful theme for me and I suppose the strength of the series entirely depends on how the viewer feels about this. I want to get one of my non-forum friends to watch it soon to see how they react, as I have a feeling they will be disappointingly unmoved by it all - but we'll see.

R

Last edited by a moderator:

Rui said:
I'll stick with Tsuruko :3
She's probably the character I had most sympathy for by the end. And, tbh, I wouldn't say no...

Okay, let's be having you. I ain't afraid of no maestro...

I liked anohana a lot, actually, but despite the tragedy and the (sometimes) relatable problems of its cast, I was almost totally unmoved emotionally. I don't know if it's because there was so much crying that eventually it ceased to have an impact, or that it was too heavy handed (dat final episode...), or that Menma's personality seemed a bit artificial, but whatever the reason it just didn't get to me. And I'm no cold-hearted monster: just this week I've hadsomethigninmyeye while watching Tari Tari and Bunny Drop.

There's still a lot to like about the show, though. None of the cast are particularly likeable for long stretches of it, but they're all interesting and engaging characters throughout. A1's visuals are typically great and the character designs definitely have something about them. And that ED song must be devastating for those emotionally invested, while being merely gorgeous for the rest of us.

fabricatedlunatic said:
And I'm no cold-hearted monster: just this week I've hadsomethigninmyeye while watching Tari Tari and Bunny Drop.

It's funny how triggers affect people differently. I like Bunny Drop well enough but I don't find it particularly moving so much as sweet (at least, that's how I feel about the manga; the anime is still in my backlog so things might yet change). I also didn't find KimiNozo very emotional even though it's unquestionably got gallons of melodrama, and Key series don't seem to have the same crushing effect on me that they do on some tender-hearted chaps in these parts.

And then I feel emotionally drained watching things like the end of Maison Ikkoku and recently, at an episode of Natsuyuki Rendezvous.

Did you originally marathon Anohana or watch it more spaced out, out of curiosity? I was watching it irregularly at dinnertime over a few weeks, so the crying and cute Menma expressions didn't bombard me too rapidly.

R

Rui said:
Did you originally marathon Anohana or watch it more spaced out, out of curiosity? I was watching it irregularly at dinnertime over a few weeks, so the crying and cute Menma expressions didn't bombard me too rapidly.
I couldn't tell you exactly, but I would've gone through the series in a week or thereabouts. KimiNozo (that title is so much more dignified than its English equivalent, which sounds like a medical condition) was vanquished in a couple of days and had me continually blubbering like a baby, though I didn't find that show to be especially melodramatic.

The Bunny Drop manga never really moved me but the anime has shot me straight through the heart a few times. I put it down to the music and skilled direction because it seems to be a faithful adaptation with little or nothing added. It isn't a tear-jerker, though, so rest assured that I won't think any less of you should you not break down every five minutes =)

I'm watching spice and wolf and going to watch ep 4 it's a very charming anime and I love but there talk about money and currency I was at a total loose, I couldn't make out what they was talking about ( the currency and money) but other that that it's very charming.

So far This series reminds me of kinos journey

Back