Your viewing journal

Space Brothers e.21 - a pretty smooth transition out of the big arc, I hope we won't be losing sight of characters like Furuya as attention moves back to the mains. The thought of either Kenji or Mutta missing out on the program is an interesting one.

Sword Art Online e.8 - Now the story really begins, and I guess you can see some of the payoff from structuring the series in the way they have right off the bat.

With the relatively slower pace of a LN compared to an anime adaptation, there is far more opportunity to establish the Kirito/Asuna relationship even after throwing them together in the manner of this episode - and even then, the pace of volume 1 of the LNs is at times a little rushed in its current state. With the four or so episodes that have already featured Asuna, this all flows quite nicely without any internal monologue or exposition required.

It will be interesting to see how much the anime adaptation reflects any corrections that might be made to the events of volume 1 in the upcoming SAO: Progressive LNs, if at all.

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE - Episodes 44 - 45

A good couple of episodes and the pacing feels right for things to wrap up in the final four episodes.

Space Brothers - Episode 21

A good transistion episodes from the third exam arc but I feel that there is a lot of story to finish in the remaining 5 episodes.

Circuit no Ohkami II: Modena no Tsurugi

Was having a conversation about Gainax the other day, when this OAV caught my eye in their back catalogue, carrying as it does the genre tags "cars" and "seinen".

Unfortuantely, I found it pretty underwhelming. The racing scenes are let down by the (very) limited animation and the strict adherence to the basic artwork of the original (1970s) manga makes it feel much older than something made in 1990.

Due to it being untranslated, I only watched the first ten minutes or so, but I'm not convinced the film would suddenly pull itself together in the remaining half-hour. Probably one for the Gainax completists only.

Back