Your viewing journal

ilmaestro said:
Brave 10 e.2 - I hope someone at some company is watching this, because it would surely sell by the bucketload in the West (just change the title to "Samurai vs Ninja" or something). Best action show I've seen in a while.

It was speed licensed already by NISA, so even though the simulcast hopes ended in disappointment for me, at least I'll be seeing it in a nice box one day :(

---

Nisemonogatari 3

Ooh, things are happening.

For some reason Crunchyroll stutters horribly for me during the OPs and ED for this series (and only this series...) so I haven't managed to get hooked on the music, yet. Hopefully this issue, whatever it is, will be sorted out soon. I'll need to decide where to get my discs from soon.

Tatami Galaxy 7-10

I'll finish this tonight. Absolutely phenomenal series, and I love every second of it. It's particularly fascinating how the episodes aren't at all standalone, with information being thrown at the viewer which initially seems meaningless until it is picked up again later. The ending song has already been ordered.

Senkou No Night Raid 5-8 (with 2 bonus episodes)

There seem to be almost as many odd episodes as sequential ones in this series. I had to look a few things up as my knowledge of the historical issues wasn't sufficient to really understand some of the plot, but once I'd taken the time to do some light background reading I got more out of these episodes. Some of the foreign language work is (not at all surprisingly) a little wobbly, though the effort spent is very much appreciated.

The Idolm@ster 1

Bumped this to the top of my queue as it would be prudent to decide whether or not I want to fill my box before things become even more annoying to find. It's probably inevitable that I'll get the rest. Iori seems less annoying in animation so far.

It was nice to see where my film strip came from.

R

Rui said:
Tatami Galaxy 7-10
It's particularly fascinating how the episodes aren't at all standalone, with information being thrown at the viewer which initially seems meaningless until it is picked up again later. The ending song has already been ordered.
I wasn't convinced by the first 5 episodes, but like yourself I loved how it all came together in the second half. It's definitely something I'd like to rewatch sooner rather than later.

And I want that ED single as well.

Rui said:
Nisemonogatari 3

Ooh, things are happening.

For some reason Crunchyroll stutters horribly for me during the OPs and ED for this series (and only this series...) so I haven't managed to get hooked on the music, yet. Hopefully this issue, whatever it is, will be sorted out soon. I'll need to decide where to get my discs from soon.
Stutters during OPs specifically means either your network connection or CPU isn't fast enough to play the stream.
This is v common just when CR have put it up due to CDN issues.

network problems are most likely, but check your CPU isn't going 100% anyway.

options are:
to reload the page and hope it connects to another of CRs streaming servers, if their end's too slow. (most likely)
wait for a better time of day, if your end's too slow (avoid 6pm-midnight peak times)
or
change internet provider.

Rui said:
ilmaestro said:
Brave 10 e.2 - I hope someone at some company is watching this, because it would surely sell by the bucketload in the West (just change the title to "Samurai vs Ninja" or something). Best action show I've seen in a while.

It was speed licensed already by NISA, so even though the simulcast hopes ended in disappointment for me, at least I'll be seeing it in a nice box one day :(
You mean... quite soon when you import the BDs from Japan? ;)

But that is good news.

Senkou No Night Raid 5-8 (with 2 bonus episodes)

There seem to be almost as many odd episodes as sequential ones in this series. I had to look a few things up as my knowledge of the historical issues wasn't sufficient to really understand some of the plot, but once I'd taken the time to do some light background reading I got more out of these episodes.
You're not wrong! Did the Western release not come with liner notes, then?

You got an awesome iM@S film strip, considering how long after release you bought it some people would have every right to be annoyed. :lol:

Pretty sure the Nisemonogatari thing is either software (their player doesn't seem to buffer at all nowadays?) or my duff router. But as it's only Nisemonogatari out of everything I've ever watched on Crunchyroll or otherwise, I'd hope they can fix something at their end to get it running smoothly in future.

ilmaestro said:

;_; I can't really budget for it at the moment...I'm hoping they are mean with the potentially lush seiyuu extras for this one.

Hahahahaha...

It was one step above coming in a blank paper bag. It doesn't even have an episode list for each disc, so finding the extra episodes is a game in itself (some are in sequence according to the list on Wikipedia, but the recap episode was hidden away in the extras section on its own).

You got an awesome iM@S film strip, considering how long after release you bought it some people would have every right to be annoyed. :lol:

Mm, I was expecting to get Producer or something (not that I'd have minded that much, compared to some fans). I was certainly satisfied with my luck!

R

Kyaku said:
All my unlimited jelly works.
You got a film strip? Who of?

There's a screengrab of the pan on the previous page ;)

Just saw the Brave10 special CD information on the official site...argh. I'll pick it up on my trip or something.

R

Rui said:
Pretty sure the Nisemonogatari thing is either software (their player doesn't seem to buffer at all nowadays?)
Their player has been fine for me, although I did have that problem a while ago. When I emailed them they had a suggestion for a setting to change... somewhere, which did fix it, so maybe drop them a line.

ilmaestro said:

;_; I can't really budget for it at the moment...I'm hoping they are mean with the potentially lush seiyuu extras for this one.
I expect them to come with a free dinner date with Ono Daisuke, at the very least. :p

Hahahahaha...

It was one step above coming in a blank paper bag. It doesn't even have an episode list for each disc, so finding the extra episodes is a game in itself (some are in sequence according to the list on Wikipedia, but the recap episode was hidden away in the extras section on its own).
:(

The Japanese release was pretty good, it wouldn't have taken too long to translate the liner notes. :(

Idolm@ster ep 19

I HAVE MISSED THIS SO MUCH IT'S RIDICULOUS. I suspect if I watched this with the flow of the other episodes i'd be disapointed, and I must admit to being a little disapointed. It felt kind of flat like Hibiki's episode...Still! Didn't expect Chihiya hijack to happen so soon! I thought they'd save it till the end of the season.

Fate/Zero ep 1

Rewatching because I can and want too. Enough time to get caught up before it begins again. I possibly enjoyed it a bit more this time around!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished Baka to Test
Gotta say, despite it's moments, this series wasn't really for me, so I might resell it. I very rarely do that, but I'm not sure I'll ever rewatch it, so the only reason I'd keep it is to look nice on my shelf or for that niggling feeling I'll regret selling it.

The actual DVD cases are wayyyyy too dependant on fanservice artwork too which is dissapointing, as although it has it's moments, this show is primarily a comedy, not a fanservice show.

Lensman (1984)

Well, this was unexpected. The English dub does the rather familiar story no favours, but the film is remarkably nice to look at, boasting some silky smooth animation and classical-sf alien-world designs.

I'll probably do a video about this one at some point.

Blood-C 5/6
After the negative press and my own negativity towards the older film I'm really becoming glad I gave this a shot. Definitely reminds me of Madoka in that things start off light and begin getting darker.

At the moment the series is starting to dig into some of the questions the earlier episodes posed, answering some but asking more.
As long as they don't hash up from here ill be interested to see where they take this and the film coming based off this reboot.

Vampire Knight eps 1 and 2

This is an interesting one. I got some recommendations about this and started it at the weekend. I'm enjoying it so far and I'll be looking forward to watching some more. I quite like the blend of serious and comedy that it achieves, it doesn't feel like one side lingers for too long nor does it feel awkward. It's got a pretty strong cast behind it as well, despite the fact that I can't unhear Mamoru Miyano as Okarin. I half expect Zero to start throwing out Okarinisms :D

Back