Your viewing journal

NuraMago 16 - A bit of a ho-hum episode, it really feels like they're trying to drag out the start of this arc for some reason - although I do like listening to Maeda Ai as Yura. Next ep looks more exciting.

Anime society night again.

Railgun ep something - I dunno, the fan-service has mostly gone away, but the plot isn't really doing anything for me. The music's alright though.

Mitsudomoe ep1 - Seems like what you would get if they made a moe version of South Park and then removed any semblance of subtlety or satire. One kid had a "69" hat and they named the hamster "Titties".
emotughh.gif

Professor Irony said:
Mitsudomoe ep1 - Seems like what you would get if they made a moe version of South Park and then removed any semblance of subtlety or satire. One kid had a "69" hat and they named the hamster "Titties".
emotughh.gif
It is pretty awful but it gave me a cheap laugh or two so I stuck with it, not sure if I want to continue six episodes in or not.

Black Rock Shooter OVA - What did I just watch? Seemed like a bit of a mess.

Also watched the first episode of Endless Eight, probably gonna skip the next seven episodes.

Lupus said:
Black Rock Shooter OVA - What did I just watch? Seemed like a bit of a mess.
Yeah, this really didn't have the feel of a one shot OVA. Was more like a proof of concept for a future series or something, not an entirely well-rounded effort.

Toradora Episode 24 - more tears, confessions & a couple eloping

&

Xam'd: Lost Memories Episodes 3 & 4 - Enjoying it so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lupus said:
It is pretty awful but it gave me a cheap laugh or two so I stuck with it, not sure if I want to continue six episodes in or not.

Yeah... I found it funny at times, I just didn't feel particularly good about myself afterwards.

Salaryman Kintaro: 1-8

A shallower version of GTO, which highlights the submissiveness required of working Japanese men and sexism that goes on over there; there apparently being jobs in offices for women to just make drinks while they wait to get married.

I think I internally facepalmed a few times when, after a near-blind girl got gang-raped, the lead taking his love on a biker-gang tour of Tokyo, followed by letting the rapists go free in front of her, made her cry tears of joy; her having recovered and no longer wanting to die.

It's a lot of fun - the story being about an Onizuka type punching people/showing them the errors of their ways by doing nothing - but hardly stellar.

It's a comedy series, right? I had wanted to see Salaryman Kintaro as the idea of a GAR office drone amused me, but eh... I think they lost me at 'gang-rape scene'.

Jyu-Oh-Sei - Planet Of The Beast King Episodes 7 - 11

I had a half day off work so I finished watching this. I have seen mixed reviews of this. Myself, I enjoyed it.

Professor Irony said:
It's a comedy series, right? I had wanted to see Salaryman Kintaro as the idea of a GAR office drone amused me, but eh... I think they lost me at 'gang-rape scene'.

It's more of a comedy in the sense that I find myself laughing at it, rather than with it. It's a lot like the GTO prequel in terms of how the females act; sexism or a lack of understanding shining through. In a way, it adds to the charm of the show, but it's also very... off for some random woman to tearfully thank the lead for changing her views on men when all he'd done previously was ask why she didn't speak. (Her 'train separation' scene was plain bizarre.)

I'm not joking when I say all that was required for a girl to see the errors of her ways was a hard, manly slap. And all a boy needed to inspire him to treat his parents better was a manly fist. (As for the working side, all Kintaro's done is not get off an elevator when a superior stepped on; this somehow inspiring those around him to lead an internal rebellion. Sharping pencils is his job.)

Even if it's for laughing at, it's still worth getting for £5 off Amazon. The show itself looks plain and clearly had little budget - as speed-lines at the very start revealed - but the video quality is very good.

PS: The raping wasn't shown; only the naked/abused form of the victim during a flashback. It seems pretty common for manly works to have manly men overcome their women being raped through manliness, or using the white knight method to seduce their loves.

Toradora Episode 25 - The end to a very good series.

&

Xam'd: Lost Memories Episodes 5 - 9

&

Bottle Faries Episode 7 - Autumn means poetry, sports festivals and sweet potatoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time for an epic catch-up summary post of everything I'm watching:

S-Tier (Guaranteed R2 import):

Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (03) - This adaptation has far exceeded my expectations, everything is so smooth and well executed. No complaints at all.

To Aru Majutsu no Index II (03) - Feels like they've stepped right back in at 100mph, tremendous energy. Still looking forward to seeing some more characters, but very exciting overall.

Shiki (12) - The most amazing atmosphere, very difficuly to tell exactly what will happen next, somehow got its momentum straight back after a month's hiatus.

Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu (16) - The anime on its own probably doesn't deserve this spot, but as a massive fan of the series I can't really overlook the BD release. I do think the anime has improved a lot as its gone on, though.

A-Tier (Guaranteed R1 purchase):

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (03) - This is the best comedy of the season, for me, and I am a little bit in love with Hotori (and Omigawa Chiaki). The amount of SHAFTiness is just right.

Otomoe Youkai Zakuro (03) - Definitely the most beautiful show of the season, in more ways than one. Very easy show to watch, has been the surprise hit of the season.

Bakuman (03) - Another very well done adaptation, could possibly benefit from a *slightly* faster narrative pace, but is just overall a really solid series.

Kuragehime (01) - A promising start indeed, I'm not convinced that every single one of the characters is going to have enough in them to stay entertaining (depending on how long the series is), but the main two should be good enough on their own.

Shinryaku! Ika-Musume (03) - I thought this started off amazingly well, but wasn't as funny through episode 2 and the first part of ep 3. The rest of ep 3 was hilarious again, though, and Ika is just too cute to not love.

MM! (03) - Mwahahahaha. This show is so manufactured and "trendy" that it should be easy to dismiss as nothing more than that, but the sheer bare-faced cheek of it over-rides that. A guilty pleasure, I guess, but a pleasure none the less.

B-Tier (Would pick up cheap):

Fairy Tail (50) - This is one of the best shows of its genre that I've seen in a while, a great cast of characters and some cool story lines. Still suffers from some less than thrilling episodes, though. Could improve once we hit the next main arc.

Amagami SS (16) - Eh, maybe I'm getting slightly tired of this series now. I don't think the Nanasaki arc was been as strong as people were leading me to believe it would be. I'm looking forward to getting back to girls better suited to Jun'ichi. And hopefully more Haruka cameos.

Nurarihyon no Mago (16) - This has dropped down a fair bit in the last few weeks, a clip show and a couple of not very exciting eps, just after it was starting to really pick up. I still love the setting, but there's something lacking.

Fortune Arterial (03) - Nice ep 3 after a slightly uneven start, although again I do like the basic idea and some of the characters. Cool scene with Kohei and Iori playing the board game in ep 3. Could keep getting better.

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo (03) - And on the other hand, I think this is about as good as this show is. It's not actively bad, and I supposed it *could* have a decent payoff to the bigger story they're hinting at, but I think it's probably just a fairly entertaining, simple-ish show, overall.

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes (02) - I am going to give this full credit for being as clever and funny as it is possibly meant to be. Whilst that doesn't equal complete global saturation as far as entertainment value goes, it's more than enough to be going on with.

C-Tier (Could be dropped):

Yosuga no Sora (03) - I dunno, ep 1 was crazy, ep 3 was too sudden. I do like Sora, but I'm not convinced the show is going anywhere in particular.

Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai (03) - First half of ep 2 had me thinking this was on the way up, but ep 3 was just back to being way too standard. Good premise, not doing enough with it atm for me.

Star Driver (03) - Ep 1 was great, ep 2 was less convincing, and ep 3 was just totally devoid of structure. Not a massive fan of the character or mech designs, either.

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls (03) - Eh, I probably won't drop this as I generally like these sorts of shows, but nothing is happening atm.

Panty & Stocking (04) - Has got worse each week, although the second half of ep 4 had its moments. I'm not laughing at it, though, and they haven't really looked enough like they will do much with the "story".

D(ropped)-Tier:

Motto To-LOVEru (02) - Structure is OK, but didn't like the artwork *at all*, and don't really need this to get my To-LOVEru hit since Darkness has started.

Iron Man (02) - Everything was bad. OK, some of the animation was OK. Everything else was really bad.

Togainu no Chi (01) - If you told me that secretly I hadn't even watched this, I would believe you, as it held none of my attention for none of the time it was on.

Others:

Katanagatari - I guess I might catch up with this one day. It wasn't bad, it was just effort to watch.

Dragon Ball Kai - I check out an ep of this every so often. Does pretty much what it says on the tin.

Arakawa UTBxB - Need to finish the first season. I don't know why I haven't as it's hilarious.

Super Robot Wars - Need to finish the first season. I know why I haven't, because it's boring as all hell.

Hakuouki - Just didn't get around to starting it yet. I will.

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water 1-4

Isn't this supposed to be some kind of classic? It's been a while since I've had to struggle through each episode on a disc.

Nadia is basically a bad Saturday morning cartoon, with flat characters, uninteresting "adventure", and comical villains. Okay, I'm only four episodes into the series, but those four episodes have given me nothing to get my teeth into and I don't think I want to watch any more--especially with the knowledge of the infamous filler hell that descends like an evil mist over the show's second half.

The dreadful video quality doesn't help matters. When I signed up for DVD, I wasn't expecting composite transfers that look marginally better than the VHS tapes I'd left behind, but that's what a lot of early anime DVDs gave me. It's bordering on unwatchable for me.

Off to ebay with ye, I reckon.

Maes, is it a condition 2/4 of your 'S-tier' titles contain underage girls with small boobs?

No school girls = dropped/eBayed. Fabio, do you still not see why I've taken to ignoring you? You're ruining my e-rep.

The heroine is a tsundere. And she's black. You know what that means? VIVIQUEEN HAS SOMEONE SHE CAN RELATE TO IN ANIME!!! Much like the forum version, she's a bitch, but I like bitches so it's all good. The lead having glasses also helps me get into the mood.

Nadia is unusual because it provides cartoonish fun; at least to begin with. It's a lot like Laputa in more ways than one - it becoming more serious as it goes being one of the "more ways". Very soon, the duo reach an island, and the series main evil masked villain makes his appearance. His evilness and JP voice make him a great baddie. So, wait until the upcoming island drama ends before dropping.

After that, the formula switches to more familiar 'you're on our ship - meet the crew and become useful!' anime territory. And it remains good until the fillers.

I'll throw the next disc in the player but if it's a colossal struggle and I see no reason to waste any more time, it's heading to ebay. Honestly, I can't see where the massive improvement the series needs to get me interested is going to come from. The "evil masked villain" of which you speak does not inspire confidence.

You know what else worries me? The little kid in the opening sequence. And she looks annoying.

The brat loses her family and dog, FYI.

Introduction of main villain with a sinister voice. Lots of death on the main villain's island. Jude (?) and Nadia becoming crew members of a submarine. 'Team Rocket' characters becoming good guys, 'cause comical villains are never truly evil.

Laputa sucked **** for the first hour; it consisting of cartoonish characters chasing after two brats. That didn't stop your 10ing it, iirc. Laputa and Nadia are on the same sides of the coin.

Back