Your viewing journal

fabricatedlunatic said:
Familiar of Zero (series 1) 1-4

identity crisis

I think that's it in a nutshell. My overall impression of the series was basically that they had no idea where they were going with it. I genuinely liked some of the story ideas (such as the objects from the real world surfacing in the fantasy realm), but they were all gradually phased out until it was just breast fondling, blatant S&M and a half-arsed swordfight.

I do seem to be kicking this one rather a lot lately, but I think if it had just been terrible right from the start, it wouldn't annoy me so much.

Aha, I had the "obvious" question for you already written out, fabricatedlunatic, given two of the shows you have recently commented on, but google has helped me find your answer already:

fabricatedlunatic said:
I've watched Shana and, well, I wish I hadn't.

Incidentally, they really could do with splitting up these shows into far more concentrated versions of themselves - you can have your shows with just the horribly gaudy characters like Ami and Kirche, and I can keep Taiga and Louise company instead.

Professor Irony said:
I genuinely liked some of the story ideas (such as the objects from the real world surfacing in the fantasy realm), but they were all gradually phased out until it was just breast fondling, blatant S&M and a half-arsed swordfight.
The sooner the show drops the pretense of having a story, the better. Drama isn't working because the characters are too shallow and the overall tone too light. Best to just focus on the breast fondling and S&M, really.

@ilmaestro

Gaudy? You're treading a fine line here, buddy! But I am broadly in favour of your proposal to split the sexy, mature characters from the brain damaged midgets. Actually, Louise is nowhere near as bad as Taiga; at least she only goes medieval on Saito for faintly justifiable reasons!

ilmaestro said:
Incidentally, they really could do with splitting up these shows into far more concentrated versions of themselves - you can have your shows with just the horribly gaudy characters like Ami and Kirche, and I can keep Taiga and Louise company instead.

An entire show of just Kugimin are you bloody insane.

Don't mind Ami so much, she at least had a character of some kind.

Light novels do tend to be trash in general tho'. Eroge adaptaions tend to have better characters and plot development for generaly similar themes. More to do with being complete works, and authors not wanting to kill popular characters off in their serial.

Started watching new AH! My Goddess the other day. The fact they squeezed SIX discs into a single DVD size case is both an abomination and a blessing, but the show itself is just great. :D

Kiki's Delivery Service

such a fantastic film, the character design was perfect and the music amazing, all with a dub that isn't cringeworthy

i was wondering, do the DVDs have the original Japanese audio or are they just dub? I watched the dub of it (i believe there's two english dubs, apparently i watched disney's but you can't trust wikipedia), but i want to watch it again in japanese just for authenticity

memorium said:
i was wondering, do the DVDs have the original Japanese audio or are they just dub?
The Play and thehut summaries for the Optimum release list both Japanese and English audio tracks, in case that indicates anything.

fabricatedlunatic said:
@ilmaestro

Gaudy? You're treading a fine line here, buddy!
I did wonder for a second if I was being a touch harsh. Only a second though. :p

Reaper gI said:
ilmaestro said:
and I can keep Taiga and Louise company instead.
An entire show of just Kugimin are you bloody insane.
Oh yeah, and in the show!

Reaper gI said:
Light novels do tend to be trash in general tho'. Eroge adaptaions tend to have better characters and plot development for generaly similar themes. More to do with being complete works, and authors not wanting to kill popular characters off in their serial.
Ignoring the fact that "everything" tends to be trash, overall, Shana and ZnT are particularly guilty in this area. You don't really read many comments other than how people have got bored with them as they have dragged on and on and on. Obviously Toradora! doesn't suffer from this problem though, just one reason why it's a much better show than the other two.

Started on "The Enemy's the Pirates", another brilliantly titled show. Going on episode 1, I can safely confirm that there are pirates and they are indeed the enemy.

It seems like a fun show about space detectives fighting space piracy, but probably not one that's going to be too memorable. Think Lost Universe, but not as good, and you're pretty much there.

Black Lagoon ep. 9 - 12
Finally got round to the last volume, and worth the wait it was. I'll leave the proper summary for another thread, but despite my ongoing concerns it remains immensely enjoyable, and this volume comes good with some excellent characters.

9/10 - an excellent volume.

Full Metal Panic! ep 13 - nearly epic, just needed Tessa to lose. >_> Ended up feeling surprisingly melancholic.

ep 14 - Really bad. Nerima Daikon dude continually trying to grope Kaname was fairly funny, and there was a "nice" message I guess with Shinji and his Dad. Apart from that, really, really bad.

ep 15 - Really good! Nice artistic touch with the Kaname scenes, and just generally a tense and exciting episode.

Not been watching loads of anime recently with being so busy in my free time. I have however found time over the last 2 months to watch:
NANA Ep 1-32
Seto no Hanayome Ep 4-5
Durarara Complete
And Rewatched:
Kara no Kyoukai 1: Fukan Fuukei
NAUSICAA of The Valley of The Wind
Black Lagoon 1st and 2nd Barrage

Back