Your viewing journal

Hell Girl (or, as MAL likes to confusingly call it, 'Jigoku Shoujo') 1-5

The idea of a 'pact with the devil' is a very old and well worn one - You get something you want without having to get your hands dirty, but at a price. What makes Hell Girl less than intriguing for me though is that the only thing you can have from her is revenge (by killing) and the only price is the somewhat boring one of your own soul, following your natural death. After five episodes, it's already getting a little old.

The first two episodes set the scene more or less, with very straightforward 'schoolgirl's worst nightmare' story-lines. Three to five had more varied subject matter such as medical negligence and corporate espionage, but they all have the same theme; That people with power / wealth / talent are above the law and can only be brought down through non-legal means. While this may be true to some degree, it's also a very simplistic way of looking at things. But most bafflingly, so far no-one has regretted using Hell Girl to solve their problems and there have been no negative consequences of doing so; hellcorrespondence.com just seems like an occult Jim'll Fix It.

Shoujo = Girl

Just a hint, like.

Also, you're an ungrateful ****. I send you the DVDs - you not even having the decency to cover postage - and, rather than bother thanking me in any form, you make a post complaining?

And, as I'm pretty sure I mentioned in my review, the second half - which you can't watch on DVD - focuses more on 'gray' stories. But, regardless, the whole 'you'll go to hell when you die' thing is a negative consequence, in case you haven't realized.

Swan* ****.

Unless you change your ways, I promise you I'll post about you - name + latest picture - on the website for women to report their findings about men. Seriously.

*I thought you were Zinki. My bad.

I watched these DVDs you sent me and you complain when I talk about them, promoting anime discussion? Ungrateful hedgehog-loving bastard.

Aion said:
Shoujo = Girl. Just a hint, like.
Yeah, but they don't call Ghost in the Shell Kōkaku Kidōtai do they?

Aion said:
And, as I'm pretty sure I mentioned in my review, the second half - which you can't watch on DVD - focuses more on 'gray' stories. But, regardless, the whole 'you'll go to hell when you die' thing is a negative consequence, in case you haven't realized.
I'll get there when I get there. Geez, I can't review episodes I haven't watched yet can I? Do you want other people to talk about anime, or would you rather we just took your word for everything?* And yeah, eternal damnation is hefty a price to pay, but it's a generous DFS-style 'pay nothing for several decades' one. All we see by way of coping with it is 'glance at tattoo, wonder if it was worth it' at the end of each episode. I look forward to it improving.

*don't answer that.

ayase said:
Aion said:
Shoujo = Girl. Just a hint, like.
Yeah, but they don't call Ghost in the Shell Kōkaku Kidōtai do they?

This is due to the quick-subs, isn't it? Whoever first stamps on the name, that name is the one that's added to MAL. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is called Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo on there.

On the same token, we call it Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann don't we? None of this Heaven Shattering Crimson Big-Face crap.

Code Geass: HANGYAKU NO RURUSHU, DESU NOTO, AOI BUNGAKU.

I hate when MAL has Japanese names of anime on the site.

Lately I haven't watched any anime at all, haven't had the time and when I do have the time? I lack the motivation, but since Zeta got released which I've been eager to see now is a better chance than any to jump back into it. So far Zeta is a lot more... serious than MGS from what I can tell, but some of the reasons that lead up to the events that have happened so far do seem a bit silly. Music is good and Kamille is overly emotional in a good way, I approve.

Lupus said:
AOI BUNGAKU.

I hate when MAL has Japanese names of anime on the site.
Considering how bad most attempts I see at translating this title are, I think leaving it like this is no problem. Also with any shows that have no official English name. I agree with you about stuff like Geass, though.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Watched the first season over the last two nights as a rewatch. I fancied seeing it again since it's been a while and I now have the 2nd season to watch.
Started The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 last night and have seen episodes 1-4. I have to say I'm suprised and slightly disappointed thus far. Endless Eight is a good concept but doesn't translate well to episodes imo. It's suppose to be repetative, and it is repetative. *sigh*
Hope it gets better.

ayase said:
I watched these DVDs you sent me and you complain when I talk about them, promoting anime discussion?

No: I'm complaining about you not offering to suck me off for not charging you £1.85. I knew I should've offered the DVDs to Geek first...[/quote]

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episodes 5-9.
Thank god!! I'm out of that Endless Eight Arc. Now that was hard going... I really feel for the people who waited a week to see the same episode 8 times in a row. I watched it back to back and it was bad enough that way. Please god let there be something to make up it now it's ended. *prays*

School Rumble 1-10

This show is the rarest of things: an anime sitcom that's actually funny. These days it usually takes absolutely filthy comedy of the South Park/Detroit Metal City variety to amuse me, but on several occasions I have audibly laughed at School Rumble--a show that, like Urusei Yatsura, doesn't rely on that kind of humour. It's so completely nutty and full of references and parodies (so far I've spotted Initial D, The Matrix, Star Wars, FotNS, and Dragonball) that it actually reminds me of UY--and that's a good thing.

My only concern is that it might get dramatic; it seems everyone's falling in love with everyone else, but none of the feeling are mutual. The show is best when it's pretending to be serious, so I hope it doesn't make that mistake.

Ocean Waves
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu episode 5
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun episode 18
Omamori Himari episode 5

and I have rewatched:
Angelic Layer episodes 14-18

Back