Your viewing journal

Genshiken Season 2 Volume 3. More Genshiken goodness. A bit less humour compared to previous offerings with a slightly more serious angle involving some of the members trying to find jobs. I hope there are going to be some more OAVs and the like as I feel like I want this to be the last I see of the characters.

Shadow Skill. Over the top fantasy fighting show. At times it felt like it was heading in a slayers direction with its humour, but then it would suddenly take a more serious turn. All in all it was a decent fantasy show with many of the over the top fighting elements you would expect in a show of this type.

Outlaw Star 1-4 (rewatch)

About ten years ago I bought the first DVD set and though I enjoyed those nine episodes, I never felt compelled to buy any more. Last year, however, I was able to grab the rest of it cheap and decided it was about time I saw the whole show.

Between then and now I've watched a fair amount of anime and I'm afraid to say that Outlaw Star, based on the first four episodes, hasn't stood the test of time. The animation is sub-par, the music is terrible, and it's all remarkably clichéd and shallow. I haven't struggled through a few episodes of anime like this since the wretched Tenchi GXP.

The next time someone says they prefer this over Cowboy Bebop, I'm going to mentally punch them on the nose.

Kindaichi's Casebook ep1

I've been curious about this one ever since I saw part of it that had been dubbed into French. As one of the two major shonen detective anime/manga franchises in Japan, it always struck me as odd how little attention it seems to get from the English speaking fandom.

Admittedly, one episode is probably not the best way to judge a whole series, but the introduction didn't do much to win me over. The art is nice enough, but the (faintly corny) story just feels po-faced and dreary compared to the tragi-comic hijinks of the other great titan, Detective Conan.

It doesn't actually resolve the opening murder in the space of one episode, so I'll at least give it until the conclusion of that before I drop it.

In the past two months I've watched...
DieBuster (Complete)
Nyan Koi! (Complete)
Zero no Tsukaima (Complete)
Bubblegun Crisis (1998) (Complete)
Lucky*Star 1-15
Basilisk 1-20
GaoGaiGar 1-5

This thread needs to be closed, or the spambots need to be banned. Seriously.

I mean, just look at how Voddas is ruining the discussion of Mononoke and mangaman with his list post!

Tattoon Master. Nothing new with its fighting and girl with a crush but it showed some promise pity it is only 2 episodes.

Gunparade March. Starts off as quite a serious mecha versus monster show along the lines of Blue Gender with some promise if not a little bit too cliched. However at about half way it changes into a romcom.

Neo Ranga. I am not sure how to categorise this sort of slice of life with mecha and monsters. It is a show about three sisters and them inheriting the kingship of a island kingdom and the god monster that comes with that Ranga. They end up fighting crime trying to make money and fighting the dodgy secret organisation trying to take over Japan. Lots of 15 minute episodes means overall it left little lasting impression on me.

Completed Basilisk last night. Took me longer to watch this series than it would normally take me. Can't say I was too impressed. This is a series I won't be watching again in a hurry.

Back