Your viewing journal

Sgt Frog

I popped this set in when my other half was having a bad day as some light entertainment to cheer him up and was amazed to find it one of the most enjoyable series I've seen in a long time. We motored through the whole first set at record speed. Why is the next set so far away? I knew I'd like it immediately from the concept, however the humour and cuteness is perfectly tuned to be hilarious without grating or resorting to rehashing old tropes so it ended up far surpassing my expectations. Some of the more shameless parodies were great fun. Unless it goes downhill later this might be my replacement for Slayers as a lighthearted comedy which I rate far more highly than the genre usually deserves.

Code Geass

So far I've only watched one disc. I can see why Aion enjoys it already. The Death Note comparisons people make are understandable but so far this feels like a different beast in enough ways to be interesting; more like a mix of Death Note and one of the more political Gundam shows with a generous dollop of its own ambition thrown in as well. The Clamp designs and vocal online fanbase almost made me steer away as yet another fanservicey show with a gimmick. Having now picked it up and given it a watch it looks as though it will be a fun ride after all and I'm looking forward to continuing. The setting has potential and the designs are also a lot more fluid and less drooled over in motion.

Maria-sama Ga Miteru season 3

Not as good as the previous two seasons due to the new format. The longer episodes mean we got fewer plots and they felt more dragged out - I love MariMite but it moves glacially slowly at times. The usual episode length mitigated this somewhat by breaking things up; here though they go through the usual school anime cliches (school trip episode, sports day episode, cultural fair episode etc) and spend almost a solid hour on each. The animation quality was high as usual, as was the voice acting and music. Glad that the next season is back to the usual episode length.

R

Gun x Sword 20-26 Complete - 8/10. Gotta say i thought this was a great show a great end to the series too. I'll post more tomorrow in the other topic, but i only had one real problem with the end: I like how it went a few years later at the end, but i would've liked to have seen maybe an epilogue for every other character and not just Wendy and Van. What of Joshua and Yukiko, Pricilla, El Dora Five..er..Four, Carmen99 and so on. It bugs me we where left without any real conclusion for them

Gonna watch a few episodes of One Piece tonight as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rui said:
Maria-sama Ga Miteru season 3

Not as good as the previous two seasons due to the new format. The longer episodes mean we got fewer plots and they felt more dragged out - I love MariMite but it moves glacially slowly at times. The usual episode length mitigated this somewhat by breaking things up; here though they go through the usual school anime cliches (school trip episode, sports day episode, cultural fair episode etc) and spend almost a solid hour on each. The animation quality was high as usual, as was the voice acting and music. Glad that the next season is back to the usual episode length.

R

I bought all of Maria Watches Over Us during a deepdiscout sale, but have been a bit reticent to watch it after watching Strawberry Panic which I felt quite heavy going for a yuri title. As I think this might be similar should I watch Maria-sama or am I right to leave it a while?

I watched Blade of the Immortal More fun samurai violence to continue on for Shigurui. Something made me think of Champloo at time when watching this, but it was all good.

Honey And Clover. A real slice of life show that just seems to drag you along. It has comedy but if you are looking for action try somewhere else.

Code Geass R2 Part 1. I was a little confused at first as to where it was starting after the first series ending. Things start to fall into place as the story unfolds at a reasonable pace. Lelouche is starting to suffer from the Light God complex during these episodes and is cracking up as he realises he can't control everything and have it all his own way.

Dracos said:
I bought all of Maria Watches Over Us during a deepdiscout sale, but have been a bit reticent to watch it after watching Strawberry Panic which I felt quite heavy going for a yuri title. As I think this might be similar should I watch Maria-sama or am I right to leave it a while?

I haven't seen Strawberry Panic so cannot give a clear comparison; Marimite isn't really a girls love show though (though a few side characters are arguably lesbians - it's mostly more like innocent Mallory Towers style "crushes" than relationships though and the characters act their ages rather than like most ravenous GL characters). It's a very slow, sweet show about friendship and I really love it. You might want to alternate discs with something a little more action packed if you find it slow going.

It also comes with some bonus shorts which are cute, making fun of the characters and plot points in the real episodes.

R

The Sacred Blacksmith ep 1.

Only one ep, admittedly, so it could all go wrong, but I'm inclined to advise people not to sleep on this show. Going into it I thought it would likely be a one-and-done, but manglobe just might have produced yet another quality series here. Some good action and one absolute standout sequence, an inexcusably cute mascot character of sorts, very interesting start.

Back