Your viewing journal

I'm 9 episodes into watching Patlabor the TV series and loving it. The story telling chops of this 35 year old show have not aged one bit. As a lover of cel animation, what anime viewers brought up on CGI would no doubt consider a "retro" look is also very appealing to me. You do get reminded of the age of the show when they, for example, have a storyline about a Soviet defector. I watched the original Patlabor OVAs years ago and have a memory of liking them, but not really remembering what happened. I suspect after watching the TV series, the New Files, rewatching movies 1 & 2 and watching 3 for the first time, I'll probably go back and "rewatch" the original OVAs. I notice that the first three episodes have directory commentaries from Mamoru Oshii which I may not have listened to the first time around. Will definitely check those out.

Princess Jellyfish complete series: In two minds about this show. The characters were interesting, but the depiction of attractive people being rapacious amoral monsters, while the unattractive ones can be bought off with meat and sweets, got a bit wearing. Of course, this only applied to the women, as most of the male characters could do, wear, and act however they wished without much criticism. But I'm probably overthinking it again.

I'm 9 episodes into watching Patlabor the TV series and loving it. The story telling chops of this 35 year old show have not aged one bit. As a lover of cel animation, what anime viewers brought up on CGI would no doubt consider a "retro" look is also very appealing to me. You do get reminded of the age of the show when they, for example, have a storyline about a Soviet defector. I watched the original Patlabor OVAs years ago and have a memory of liking them, but not really remembering what happened. I suspect after watching the TV series, the New Files, rewatching movies 1 & 2 and watching 3 for the first time, I'll probably go back and "rewatch" the original OVAs. I notice that the first three episodes have directory commentaries from Mamoru Oshii which I may not have listened to the first time around. Will definitely check those out.

I'll be honest, I found Patlabor TV overly dull and dry and dropped it partway through - FWIW I loved the first two movies (the Manga UK dubs are fab), I enjoyed the first OVA series, and I also really enjoyed some of the other vintage anime classic TV series from the 80s and thereabouts (Touch, SDF Macross, Future Boy Conan, The Rose of Versailles, Maison Ikkoku), and plenty of 90s series too, so I'm not averse to older TV anime. I like the vintage look, but with Patlabor I got quite bored (and I watched it subbed, so it wasn't to do with the lackluster English dub). I'm genuinely glad you enjoyed it though, we all have different tastes! :)

Princess Jellyfish complete series: In two minds about this show. The characters were interesting, but the depiction of attractive people being rapacious amoral monsters, while the unattractive ones can be bought off with meat and sweets, got a bit wearing. Of course, this only applied to the women, as most of the male characters could do, wear, and act however they wished without much criticism. But I'm probably overthinking it again.

I'm curious to read the manga for this at some point as I thought the TV anime was decent, but the manga is 18 volumes so I'm gonna tentatively guess they only covered a small portion in those 11 episodes! IIRC I purchased the whole manga in a Humble Bundle a few years ago, so should really try to get on that someday! :)

EDIT: Realised I'd typed Macross Plus when I meant to type SDF Macross XP

Last edited:
Back