Your viewing journal

Pseudo Harem episode 11 Oversee.

(Motto) To LOVE Ru episodes 1-12 (Complete. Though not a bad follow-up I didn’t enjoy the variety of stories here as much as the first season.) 3/5

To LOVE Ru Darkness
episodes 1-2

Days with My Stepsister Episode 11

Failure Frame: I Became the Strongest and Annihilated Everything with Low-Level Spells Episode 10

I Parry Everything Episode 11

The Café Terrace and It's Goddesses Season 2 Episode 23

Dungeon People episode 10 Downtime.

Quality Assurance in Another World episode 11 Purified.

That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime Season 3 episode 70 Midnight meeting conclusion.

To LOVE Ru Darkness episodes 3-12 & OVAs, To LOVE Ru Darkness 2 episodes 1-10

A Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero Episode 12 (Complete)

ATRI -My Dear Moments- Episode 10

Dahlia in Bloom: Crafting a Fresh Start with Magical Tools Episode 11

My Hero Academia Season 7 Episode 17

Plus-Sized Elf (Uncensored) Episode 11

Why Does Nobody Remember Me in This World Episode 10

Train to the End of the World, episodes 1-7

vlcsnap-01249.png

Whoops, wrong image, let's try that again:

snapshot_05.27.619.png

There we go. There's probably a whole book to be written about anime and train journeys into the strange and unsettling, whether it's Night on the Galactic Railroad, Galaxy Express 999, Evangelion, Spirited Away or even Elfen Lied, the convention of the train as a conduit not just to other physical places but to realms of the psyche seems to have embedded itself into the Japanese cultural landscape as surely as giant-robots-as-golems that grant mere men the power of gods to use for good or evil or say, four archetypal girls on an adventure of some kind. Here we have the girls and we have the train, what happens when you combine GE999's railway to weirdness with Cute Girls Doing Wacky Things? Well, you get that one 10 minute segment from MagiPoka or you get this full 12 episode series, I'm certainly on board for that.

The tone of the show is certainly set early, I don't think anybody would be under any illusions about what they're in for after the very first pre-credits scene. I knew I would get along with its sense of humour as soon as the Mad Max style spike and blood covered delivery trucks of the post apocalypse arrived playing a cheerful ice cream van tune. And boy, do things just get odder from there. I was pleasantly surprised with just how off-the-wall this show is prepared to get, I mean perhaps I've just been missing out (it's entirely possible) but it felt like this kind of insanity went out of style for a while as the isekai and the slow-paced relaxing CGDCT shows reigned supreme. Are we back? Do we have the return of Urusei Yatsura to thank for this (which I shamefully have still not gotten around to)?

It's not all wacky hijinks though and the show does have something of a heart, even if it feels a litle contrived at times and a bit like the staff would rather just be chucking the girls headfirst into another mishap than slowing down for a heartfelt moment. It does however provide the impetus for the girls to continue on their journey any sane person would 'nope' out of in search of their disappeared friend. Most of this is provided by Shizuru who so far is so capable-but-mildly-flawed-protagonist and Nadeko who is... well she's not there for me, let's put it that way. She's kind and pleasant and sensible and all those kind of boring things. As far as the main characters go, Akira and reiten Reimi reichōrui are carrying the show hard for me. The love-hate relationship between the airheaded genki girl and the arrogant cynic makes me feel like I'm watching an anime adaptation of Planes, Trains and Automobiles at times, I'd be perfectly okay with the show just being about them. Please, if there's a definitive ending after these 12 episodes I want a road trip spin-off. But so far this show is very definately not what I was expecting in the best of ways.

snapshot_10.06.522.png

Makeine: Too Many Losing Heroines! episode 10 Challenges.

Monogatari Series: OFF & Monster Season ONA 9 Mummies.

My Hero Academia 7th Season episode 155 A lost light.

My Wife Has No Emotion episode 12 Settings. (Complete. This ended up being more wholesome than I expected though it wasn’t one of the stronger anime of the season overall.) 3/5

Plus-Sized Elf
episode 11 Mentor.

SHOSHIMIN: How to Become Ordinary episode 10 Parting. (Complete. I came away from this series with mixed feelings but may give the second season a chance when it airs.) 3/5

The Elusive Samurai
episode 10 Wonders.

The Fable episode 23 Shots.

Yatagarasu: The Raven Does not Choose its Master episode 19 Tears roll down.

To LOVE Ru Darkness 2 episodes 11-12, OVAs & Specials (Complete. The first Darkness season was mostly solid but the second didn’t do as much for me - this was a raunchy enough show but it did grow rather repetitive over time.) 3.5/5, 3/5

Toriko
episodes 1-15

Shoshimin 1-10
I was enjoying this show ok enough for the first few episodes, like a more bland Hyouka but pleasant enough. the last couple of episodes however really shook things up and took things in unexpected directions, my jaw was on the floor for some of it and I'm dying to see what happens next. only 6 months to wait I guess! Osanai is an absolute nutcase, good luck to her new bf lol

Train to the End of the World, episodes 8-12

snapshot_16.42.017.png

Shinkansen-like, that went by much too fast. I did enjoy that ending, I was particularly delighted to see it avoid the cliché of everything returning to normal and life going on just as before, it fit nicely with the theme that things and people change and don't stay the same, but if this doesn't get a continuation I will be quite annoyed. There was so much going on I feel like I've only just got to know the characters properly, Shizuku and Yoko especially, for whom most of the development seemed to happen in the last couple of episodes. To not continue their adventures after that would be a real shame.

These last few episodes really crammed in both the exposition dumps and the action required to get us to the end of the line on time, but the pace was pretty frantic even before that so none of it feel too jarring. Nothing hugely deep or meaningful here in the end (which I doubt anyone was expecting from this show anyway) but it was nice, in a way that felt both entertaining and refreshingly different, that turning back the clock to how things were is not as easy as simply pressing a button or saying you're sorry.

Happy to see Kurokin return for the finale, she was too fun a character to just make a one-off and her little side story did end up serving a purpose to the larger plot after all. Huh. Well done show, I like it when seemingly random stuff ends up mattering. I'm not sure she's quite as cute now she isn't blue though.

snapshot_13.38.527.png

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest episode 11 Heaven.

Mission: Yozakura Family episode 24 Weak Point.

Narenare -Cheer for You!- episode 11 Regrets.

One Piece episode 1119 Taken.

Tower of God: Return of the Prince episode 11 Plotting.

Toriko episodes 16-31

The Dangers in My Heart Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 13-25 (Complete)

Fairy Tail: 100 Year's Quest Episode 11

Mission: Yozakura Family Episode 24

Wistoria: Wand and Sword Episode 10

Back