Your viewing journal

One Piece episodes 9-17: Eight episodes to tell the story of Luffy's third crew member. I'm guessing they were commissioned for a lot of episodes from the start, as this could have been told in two episodes if it wasn't for all the intro's, previews, reviews, recaps, flashbacks, and extended emotionally tearing scenes. That Captain Kujo was a nasty piece of work, wasn't he? And his glasses got smashed at least twice in the fighting.

At least they have a proper boat now.

Mobile Suit Gundam Movie I, II & III

I've been itching to watch AL's 4k boxset since it arrived and I got a chance to watch all 3 films on Saturday. I've been a bit skeptical about old anime in 4k but I have to say all 3 films looked absolutely fantastic, there was a noticeable improvement over the Blu-ray and I was really impressed with how clean and crisp the video looked. I was also skeptical about how effective the Dolby Atmos soundtrack would be but once again, I was really impressed and it actually produced some decent and effective overhead sound effects that created a very immersive viewing experience in a number of scenes. The spelling errors in the subtitles are a shame and not acceptable in a premium set like this but it didn't spoil my enjoyment in any way.

I've seen these films countless times now and they are perennial favourites of mine. I had a really good time watching them again and my enjoyment of the trilogy hasn't diminished at all

Ringing Bell

I last saw Ringing Bell about 20 years ago but I was reading a blog the other week that referenced it and prompted a re-watch. My opinion has changed since I last saw Ringing Bell, it's not a masterpiece but it is still a very effective film that I think has aged pretty well.

Grendizer U - Episodes 8 & 9

Last edited:
Mayonaka Punch episode 11 In too deep.

Shy 2nd Season episode 23 A shared pain.

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf episode 24 Ride.

The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible episode 11 A special trip.

Toriko episodes 32-41, 44-45

The Case Study of Vanitas
Episodes 1-12.
It's taken me a while to get this far.
A bit of an average show for me.

Tsugo Tsugomomo
Episodes 1-4.
An enjoyable continuation of S1.
Sadly not enough Kokuyou.
I'm going to do my best to make this the only show this week.

No Longer Allowed in Another World Episode 11

Shy Season 2 Episode 23

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 24

The Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies Episode 11

The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible Episode 11

Villainess Level 99
Episodes 1-3
Well that was fun. I wanted to watch the next episode.
At first, I thought I was watching the wrong show then the deadpan MC turned up.
Very enjoyable and fortunately the weird horse has only appeared a couple of times so I could just ignore it.

Galaxy Express 999: Episodes 71-78, I will finish this show before I die edition.

vlcsnap-01254.png
Nothing new there, then.

Even for GE999, the morals of "It's more noble to spend your life literally hacking dirt in a barren wasteland out of a sense of duty to your father and a bunch of dead people than to abandon this clearly futile endeavour and try and better your situation" and "It's better to work yourself to the bone being paid a pittance and freezing in poverty than to accept charity" seem particularly harsh. The second gets undermined anyway since almost immediately after teaching someone that questionable moral, Tetsuro gifts them with a frigging gun anyway.

Then we're off the Africa, the Dark Nebula, which is pointed out is exactly the same shape as Africa, has planets named after places in Africa and we're even treated to a brief history lesson about Africa beforehand. So naturally, just like Africa, the planet Maetel and Tetsuro visit here is an ice planet of technologically advanced 2-dimensional ghost-grasshopper men out to conquer the stars. "Please give up on science and learn to live peacefully," pleads the Queen of the grasshopper people to her subjects, before cowing them with the powerful laser weapons of her sleek, featureless spaceship so advanced as to appear magical. Typical hypocritical elites.

vlcsnap-01265.png
I've seen enough of this show to know the answer is going to wipe that smile right off Tetsuro's face.

We also learn for the first time (I think) that the Galaxy Railways is a public company. Finally, an explanation for how it can possibly afford to operate with single digit passenger numbers. The poverty stricken citizens of Earth are subsidising Maetel and Tetsuro's little jolly through the stars and their nuclear armed security force with their taxes like British Rail, NASA and Trident all rolled into one. Perhaps that's the reason the people of Earth are so poverty stricken in the first place.

At least some of these episodes had kind of a decent ecological message. Even if they did also include a tribe of underwater native Americans (where did they get the feathers for their headdresses on a world that's entirely ocean?) who immediately know how to pilot a spaceship they find in order to pursue the people who destroyed their planet. And Tetsuro chooses this moment to start believing in due process after all the extra-judicial punishments, killings and planetery scale genocides he and Maetel have been responsible for up until this point?

Speaking of, that's another planet blown to smithereens in the wake of the 999. Not that anyone will probably miss the planet of endless rain where a cruel witch-queen is sucking the life out of her people, her minions will only save your life if you give them bags of cash and the whole atmosphere seems to have a corrupting influence making formerly decent people just as selfish as she is. Wikipedia informs me these episodes were broadcast in May 1980. Hmm.

vlcsnap-01260.png

Last edited:
Back