Your viewing journal

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki (English) - Episode 4 - 6 (Complete)

It has been good to finally watch Tenchi Muyo! for the first time and it was a decent time though I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped but that may have partly been due to the English dub being quite poor, should had went with Japanese.

I still have the two specials and the second OVA series to go with this set so my feelings may improve but I don't dislike the series, not at all.

Space Emperor God Sigma - Episodes 33 - 38

The second half of God Sigma has been really good so far.

Dorami-chan: Mini-Dora SOS
Dorami-chan: A Blue Straw Hat

Simple (it's aimed at little children not middle-aged men) but entertaining Doraemon spin-offs and as joyous as anything Doraemon related should be.

MD Geist - Director's Cut
MD Geist II: Death Force

I dug out my 'Mecha Masters' collection (kinda like a collection of Koichi Ohata's greatest hits) and watched these 'classics' again (for the first time in over a decade) for a review on the podcast.

Code Geass: Rozé of the Recapture [English Audio] - Episode 8:
Following on the last week, more action, trauma and then taking every possible opportunity to use the ropes and chains that a character is bound in to create provocative shots. Code Geass, naturally.

NieR Automata Ver 1.1a [English Audio] - Episode 14:
yet again the dub has just started, only for another delay to be on the way, hopefully its short

The Elusive Samurai [English Audio] - Episode 1-2:
certainly inventive animation, do wonder whats going on with the dub, casting is good but theres something about it, can't place exactly what it is (I had thought maybe they are using the rhythmo-band, but not sure). Less of an issue in episode 2.

Last edited:
Kurayakaba: Finally got around to watching this. It was a lot weirder than expected and I'm not sure that watching it on a sweltering afternoon was a good idea, because it was very hard to stay focused. As a short story there's not much resolution or explanation of the setting or even the characters, and I'm not even entirely sure whether I liked it or not! Still, it was certainly an interesting experience either way. The stylised, old fashioned visuals are lovely (like Yamishibai, if Yamishibai had a significant budget) and the details in all of the text and scenery design added a lot of atmosphere. We'll watch the other part later in the week, by which point I might have decided whether or not the first of these two films has stuck with me or not.

True Beauty ep1: I wanted to like this because the clean, poppy art style looked fun, but it's an extremely superficial story about a girl who is bullied and changes schools, then gives herself a makeover and enchants everyone at her new school. And there is a haughty conventionally handsome guy who actually engages with her when she's in ugly mode, but because she's a bit of a disaster she makes it weird. The animation is decent but the heart of the drama - that the lead is ugly without her makeover skills - makes no sense when she looks exactly as hot in and out of makeup, with the only relevant difference being her visible acne and lack of tracksuit. I also find it deeply implausible that she has enough money to pay off her brother, support her various fandom habits and buy such a broad range of cosmetics for use every day. This is a typical fantasy series and while I get that being conventionally attractive and 'the hottest girl in school' matters to some people, it doesn't to me, so I was hoping for a bit more from the lead than what we got in this episode. The series hasn't really explained why I would want to root for her or given any hint that there might be some hidden depths later on.

Delico's Nursery ep1: A bunch of pouty vampire guys get together to solve mysteries, with the gimmick that they're all dads and have to do so while raising a crowd of excitable vampire infants. Setting aside the awkward hilarity of the main plot device being called 'TRUMP' (a name which is reverently blasted across the screen more than once) and the bizarre tonal inconsistencies in nearly every scene, there were two things I didn't like. Firstly, the character designs were great but all of the backgrounds and props seem to be CG with a grubby texture overlaid, which made everything look cheap in spite of the lavish designs (the horrible sped-up horse animations were notable too). And secondly, the entire first half of the episode was a dramatic build-up to the joke that the main character was unavailable because he wanted to be with his kids... except that they already explained that at the very start, so I didn't understand why the narrative was setting everything up for a 'twist' that had already been telegraphed. It was one of the most uneven first episodes I've seen in a while. Weirdly my partner really likes this, so I guess we'll be checking out the second episode anyway!

R

Mayonaka Punch episode 6 Prove.

Shy 2nd Season episode 18 A kind heart.

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf episode 19 Flashy things.

The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible episode 6 Leg sweeping.

The Galaxy Railways episodes 17-26, The Galaxy Railways: A Letter from the Abandoned Planet OVAs 1-2

Last night, watched first four episodes on Blu-ray of I Got A Cheat Skill In Another World And Became Unrivaled In The Real World Too and after the first episode, I wasn't sure what to make of it. Like a lot of other anime that has me hooked from the off with me thinking "Yeah, this is going to be wonderful" it didn't happen with this one. At one point during episode 3, I turned it off halfway through and thought of doing something else. But, I put the disc in and watched the remainder of it and episode 4.

The model Miu was lovely, Kaori is beautiful and sweet.

The Devil Lady ep3-5

Perhaps I’ve just become so used to anime series framing characters in such a way as to fuel fan shipping without seriously intending to follow through on it, but it struck me as a bit out of nowhere that one of the villains taunts protagonist Jun about being sexually interested in her fellow model Kazumi, especially considering that she has far more chemistry (albeit in sadomasochistic fashion) with sneering, callous government agent Asuka. In the past I’ve accused Konaka of not being able to write convincing character interactions; maybe it‘s just that he‘s not good at writing relationships that don’t feel horribly messed up.

Last edited:
Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest Episode 6

Mission: Yozakura Family Episode 19

No Longer Allowed in Another World Episode 6

Shy Season 2 Episode 18

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 19

The Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies Episode 6

The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible Episode 6

Wistoria: Wand and Sword Episode 5

Back