Your viewing journal

Astro Note Episode 10

HIGHSPEED Étoile Episode 10

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 3 Episode 58

The Irregular at Magic High School Season 3 Episode 10

The Misfit at Demon King Academy II Part 2 Episode 33

Astro Note episode 10 Welcoming.

Nijiyon Animation 2 episode 10 Pressure.

That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime Season 3 episode 58 Tact.

The Misfit of Demon King Academy II Part 2 episode 47 Pact.

The iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors episode 10 Wing spread.

The Irregular at Magic High School Season 3 episode 49 Pressure to protect.

Rental Magica (Chronological Order) episodes 18-24 (Complete. This was quite good overall, may well double-up for the ATA sets at some point.) 3.5/5

RobiHachi
episodes 1-12 (Complete. A nonsensical and fun but uneven sci-fi series that doesn’t quite reach the height of contemporaries like Space Dandy but was a decent one-time watch.) 3/5

Rozen Maiden
episodes 1-5

Stardust Telepath eps 11 & 12 (complete)
Rematch and plans for the future.
The headline is CGDCT with rockets, but there seems to be more yuri bait than other shows. One character is, or pretends to be, an alien who can communicate through placing her forehead on others. Cue lots of scenes, especially with the MC, where this happens and they're almost kissing.
The other aspect which I found different was the attitude of one of the girls, she's a loner who's two states were being abrasive or angrily lashing out! Now couple this with the MC's demeanor of being shy and awkward, a bit like Bocchi, but on steroids (or should that be downers!) and it lead to some of the most depressing scenes I've witnessed in this genre, for example they're building their rocket for the competition and the abrasive girl, who is the expert, tells her she's in the way and to go away and then after the competition doesn't go the way they want, she throws another fit and storms of. This depresses the MC even more because her dream seems in tatters, although her dream was depressing enough to begin with because her reason to want to build a rocket was leave earth and try to find alien friends because she felt she didn't belong on Earth! At least with Bocchi she had an achievable goal and one that would force herself out of her situation. Bocchi the Rock! was published in the sister magazine to the magazine this was published in and it's almost like they were trying to repeat the formula even down to the perfectly well adjusted imouto, but wasn't executed in quite the right way.
The payoff in the end was pretty good, but I felt it didn't have to go that hard to accomplish the same outcome.
The art and animation were quite nice.
7/10

Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable eps 2-12 (dub) (complete)
A bit of a palette cleanser after the drama. It was an easy watch, especially with no subs, although I'm sure they were trying to have them have a Canadian accent, but the closest they got was have the characters finish the odd sentence with an 'eh?'
It was your usual high school rom-com/mini-harem with all the usual tropes with the attraction coming down to him being kind and the girls being hot in different ways, the busty gyaru, the classic beauty and the hafu with European looks. The first girl got the vast majority of the screen time, so it wasn't particularly even in that sense (the third didn't even appear till episode 6!). There were some fun scenes, the best being full of innuendo!
Art and animation were pretty average really.
6/10

Black Butler: Public School Arc episode 9 Charade.

Jellyfish Can’t Swim in the Night episode 10 Wail.

Kaiju No. 8 episode 9 No fun.

My Hero Academia 7th Season episode 144 Children.

Ooi! Tonbo episode 10 Break.

Studio Apartment, Good Lighting, Angel Included episode 11 Sea and soak.

The Fable episode 10 Help.

Tonari no Youkai-San episode 10 Lost soul.

Yatagarasu: The Raven Does not Choose its Master episode 10 Support.

Rozen Maiden episodes 6-12 & short (Complete. The best way to summarise my feelings on this series so far is that the fantastical elements of the story are fascinating but the slice of life content leaves me cold. With that said, I’m curious to see what the other seasons have to offer.) 3/5

Rozen Maiden: Träumend
episodes 1-12 (Complete. This season mostly improved upon my issues with the slice of life aspects and continued with the solid fantasy elements.) 3.5/5

Macross Plus OVAs

So after all the chat this week, I went ahead and watched Macross Plus for the first time. Two episodes yesterday and the final two today.

Holy ****, what a banger. Nice human drama, cool action and the music is awesome too (considering it’s Watanabe and Kanno, it’s kind of expected). Considering this was done in the 90s, it sounds like “the future”. It’s like they mixed pop, avant garde and LTJ Bukem or something.

I’m still not dropping £120 on this 🤣 for those that care, I watched the Manga VHS version dubbed.

Blue Archive The Animation episode 10 Tough guy.

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Hashira Training Arc episode 5 Strained relations.

Go! Go! Loser Ranger! episode 9 Divine artefact.

Grandpa and Grandma Turn Young Again episode 10 Layers.

Mission: Yozakura Family episode 10 By your side.

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II Part 2 episode 21 Still short.

One Piece episode 1108 Seraphim stalker.

Sound! Euphonium 3 episode 10 Speaking one’s mind.

The Duke of Death and His Maid Season 3 episode 34 Open your heart.

Rozen Maiden: Ouvertūre OVAs 1-2 (Complete. A solid accompaniment to the second season.) 3.5/5

Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen
episodes 1-13 (Complete. A different approach to the story that alternates events and takes on a more somber and mature atmosphere. I thought it was very good but the lack of a continuation hinders it a bit.) 3.5/5

Bastard!! Series 1-2

I started watching this series partly because of an interest in the heavy metal it was inspired by, and because like another series I'm keen on, Magic Knight Rayearth, it makes all sorts of references to other things. In Rayearth, which debuted in the 1990s, the manga referenced cars because CLAMP wanted to give everything a theme, and as cars had to be named well in order to be sold, they went with them. 1980s manga Bastard!!, whose subtitle is Heavy Metal - Dark Fantasy, references heavy metal because the artist was a fan of the genre, which a) makes more sense in terms of origins, and b) shows there is nothing new under the sun when it comes to such things. Bastard!! also makes some surprising anime references which I doubt were in the original manga. For example, a scene in the second series that references the Gurren Lagann "grit your teeth" punch is one I very much doubt was in the original source text, given that said volume appeared in 1992.

Aside from all the metal references (the lead character Dark Schneider's first spell is called "Venom", which I guess must be the first time a manga not only referenced black metal, but also a bunch of Geordies), I enjoyed the quality of the animation, and the plot did have many surprising twists and turns to it. Slightly less enjoyable was Dark Schneider's desire to seemingly have it off with every woman around him (good job his long hair covered the ladies nipples, as that we all know is the rudest thing you can possibly see), including the dark-elf who he adopted and acted as an adult to. Yes, somewhat creepy, but I do admit that that overall I still enjoyed the series, and if a third series comes out I'll probably watch it too. 8/10

As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I'll Use My Appraisal Skill to Rise in the World Episode 10

Blue Archive The Animation Episode 10

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Hashira Training Arc Episode 5

Mission: Yozakura Family Episode 10

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II Part 2 Episode 45

The Duke of Death and His Maid Season 3 Episode 34

Sign of Affection eps 2 & 3 (dub)
Green eyed monsters.

Goblin Slayer II eps 1-3
The next generation.

The Witch and the Beast eps 2 & 3 (dub)
Book smarts.
A two parter with an interesting twist at the end.

'Tis Time for "Torture", Princess ep 2
Definitely not a binge show, the "torture" is different this time, but the set up is the same every time! Something is introduced, her sentient sword goes "ha, ha, the Princess is blah, blah, she'll never give in", cut to her giving in! Happened 4 times in this episode!!

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer eps 2-4
Next evolution.

Gods’ Games we Play episode 11 Kick back.

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf episode 11 Rabbit.

Train to the End of the World episode 11 Switch.

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- season 2 episode 35 Dispel.

Rune Soldier episodes 1-12

Chillin' in Another World with Level 2 Super Cheat Powers Episode 10

Gods' Game We Play Episode 11

I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince So I Can Take My Time Perfecting My Magical Ability Episode 11

Re:Monster Episode 11

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 11

The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases Episode 12 (Complete)

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- Season 2 Episode 35

Goblin Slayer II eps 4-6
Escape and homecoming.

'Tis Time for "Torture", Princess ep 3
Day release.

The Witch and the Beast eps 4 & 5 (dub)
Unwilling return.

A Sign of Affection eps 4 & 5 (dub)
Going shopping.
So weird seeing them go to a Cost(a)co, there's one literally around the corner from me!

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer eps 5-7
Exam.

Back