Your viewing journal

Armored Police Metal Jack - Episodes 23 - 27

The second half of Metal Jack has so far been consistently better than the first.

New Hurricane Polymar

A very odd, very 90's and ultimately very average OVA based on the 70's TV show. This time I watched a fansub based on the Japanese Blu-ray and it looks amazing (I remember thinking it would look good in HD when I first watched it) but it tries to be too 'abstract' at times which makes the storytelling and pacing uneven and the cancelled 3rd episode makes it very inconclusive as well.

Kaiju No. 8 - Episode 7

I am enjoying this a lot.

Is there significant changes (other than not being compressed into 90ish minutes) to the story? I think it will be something I pick up in the next few months.

There is a lot more going on with the other characters surrounding Hiromi in the TV series which gives the series much more depth. I like the film and it's a great introduction to Aim for the Ace, but he TV series is another level imho.

Space Adventure Cobra Film

I've heard so many good things about the Cobra 4k release, I thought it looked good in HD and looking forward to getting it in UHD now I have finally upgraded to a 4k TV.

Stardust Telepath ep 2
Bottle rocket.
Was going to switch to dub as the I watched the first episode months ago, but that wasn't an option. The hyper one was a bit much, but it's a cute show so one episode at a time I think.

Now onto the sequels. Was thinking of also switching to dub for these, but just couldn't for Dr. Stone as I'm very used to the Japanese VAs, so will leave it to a case by case decision.
Dr. Stone: New World p2 eps 1 & 2
In deep.

Cyberpunk edgerunners

"Regardless of how high you climb in this world, you will never amount to the lowest corpo"

This was as good as everyone says. After Metallic Rouge didn't quite live up to the effectively built up expectations, this one delivered on all counts, with a more poignant delivery of a downtrodden youngster's journey through the dystopian city alongside the usual, but effective, social commentary without getting lost in or distracted by the lore. Trigger's fantastic animation was a joy to behold with a great op - I loved how they used that Franz Ferdinand track focusing purely on the build up (that felt like a commentary in itself).

Guess I really should try and play the game I got a while ago on that psplus membership (or whatever it's called now).

Bartender: Glass of God episode 9 Peasant maiden.

Date A Live V episode 8 Applaud.

KonoSuba: God’s Blessing on This Wonderful World! 3 episode 8 Hydra.

Mysterious Disappearances episode 8 Rearrangement.

The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio episode 8 No consolation.

Psychic Squad episodes 6-17

Last edited:
Jellyfish Can’t Swim in the Night ep1

Didn’t really know what to expect from this - it feels like a more substantial version of K-On. It seems well made, but probably not for me, to be honest.

Lupin III : Part 2 ep57-59

Zenigata begging Lupin to help him steal back one of his own family heirlooms was a neat story idea, I’m surprised they haven’t tried to revisit that for one of the TV specials.

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 ep1

I’ve been threatening to watch this for years, but the lack of both Sonoda’s character art and the incredible soundtrack from the original always put me off. On the strength of one episode, it seems okay, although it‘s not in any particular hurry to go anywhere and the new music is like something off a PlayStation 1 demo disc. The background art is quite nice though, I like the design of the city, even if it does seem strangely reminiscent of Armitage III.

New Hurricane Polymar
I remember reading that this was an early directorial outing for Akiyuki Shinbo / Simbo, and was always vaguely curious to see it due to that connection, but it had kind of fallen off my radar. Might try and check it out just for the visuals.

Robot Carnival short film compilation

My final Discotek UHD until I order Belladonna of Sadness. This one is a mixed bag as most compilations tend to be. Although usually I tend to shy away from the more standard fare, instead going for the more artistic shorts. However on this comp, it was the opposite.

The stand outs were Deprive, Star Light Angel and Strange Tales if Meji Machine Culture.The first two being devoid of dialogue but with a simplistic story to follow and great music to accompany the visuals. Lots of action, with very 80s anime visuals. Strange Tales was just a fun concept that made me laugh. Sometimes it doesn’t have to be more complicated than that.

Presence didn’t quite click with me. I feel like I should have been all over it but the buttersweet story just didn’t hit right. Franken’s Gears was a fun and well animated short but I felt other than the final joke and the cool animation, it didn’t offer anything else… maybe that should be enough?

A fun item for the collection but I feel like I’ll revisit Memories more than Robot Carnival.

IMG_9094.jpeg

An Archdemon’s Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride episode 10 Duty.

A Salad Bowl of Eccentrics episode 9 I wanna be your dog.

Dungeon Meshi episode 22 Seeking Senshi.

Yuru Camp△ Season 3 episode 9 Strength and hot spring.

Psychic Squad episodes 18-30

Last edited:
Dead Dead Demons 0-1
big fan of the manga so was a bit unsure about this going in, but they've pretty much knocked it out of the park so far.
the big controversy is episode 0 being a section from later on in the manga. a lot of people are saying to skip it, but personally I think it's OK for the anime to use it as a framing device for the story.
choosing non voice actor Ano to voice Oran was an inspired choice, really captures her chaotic nature.
only real problem is with the subtitles that feel more like dubtitles, lots of signs & text messages are not being translated either. also had one of those comic moments when someone speaks English and it gets subtitled but doesn't match what they say.

Stardust Telepath ep 4
Challenge.

Dr. Stone: New World p2 eps 6-11 (complete)
Crafty foe and the next step.
After the distraction of arriving on an island still within the Japanese archipelago after the promise of going on a trip to the world, the events on the island were fairly entertaining, but let's hope that in the final season they actually get to where they want to go! Although the ambition as set out seems like it would need at least a 2 cour without having to rush too much.
Art and animation were as good as the rest of the series.
7/10

Back