Your viewing journal

Kiba collections 1 & 2. Wow a 51 episode show that seemed to use them quite well not too much of what I would call filler and done at a reasonable pace. That aside the story is really quite simplistic and I spotted most of the twists a mile off. It is a series that is easy to just go along with. I would describe the story as sort of Escaflowne meets Yu-Gi-Oh meets Shaman King. It is about Zed a boy transported to a sort of magical and technological world from a futuristic world. There he becomes a shard caster, a sort of Mage who can use spell shards to create magical effects or if the control one they summon a spirit to fight alongside them.

Elfen Lied - Still as gory as ever, but still an enjoyable series overall. The episode on volume 3 with the puppy still gets to me though.

Ghost Hunt series 1 part 2 disk 1

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm making an effort to get back into Tenchi Muyo. I received the movie box set the other day and want to watch them. I've rewatched the first three OVA episodes and most of the 4th.

I like Tenchi but can never get myself to love it. Back when it first came out maybe the whole alien girl harem thing was fairly original, but it's been beaten with a stick since then. It seems I watched it too late and, because of other anime, it hasn't aged too well.

I keep meaning to put in my third Area 88 DVD but can never be arsed. It's a very good little series but it's also insanely predictable due to the simplicity of the story. It's hard to get pumped over a series like that.

I've also kept meaning to chuck in my third Arjuna DVD. What's stopped me is the fact that it isn't an exciting series. Nice looking, nice sounding, somewhat educational... but not great entertainment. Ill hopefully get around to finishing it sometime this week.

Finally, Planetes. I just cannot find the motivation to finish it. It's yet another solid but not very entertaining series. I find myself wanting to finishing the other series I have on the go instead...

Neon Genesis Evangelion episodes 1 and 2 (part of an anime watching group on another forum i use)

i liked the first two episodes, i liked the plot and as a plus, some hilarious subtitles on the version i watched.

Devil Lady 4-13

With the half-way point reached I feel like posting some more detailed thoughts.

The premise is simple: humans who possess a specific gene are evolving into twisted creatures called devilbeasts. But not everyone with the gene evolves completely. Protagonist Jun, an elegant but melancholy model, is a Devilman -- a half evolved devilbeast who retains her human conciousness.

Though the series soon settles into a fairly predictable monster-of-the-week format, the real focus is on the psychology of Jun as she struggles to come to terms with what she's become and how it affects the lives of the people around her. It's an engaging show with an adult tone; there's no juvenile shenanigans here.

It's not free of problems, though. Devil Lady was animated in 1998 but thanks to a tiny budget it looks a few years older than that. The flat designs, drab colours, clunky animation, and frequently off-model characters manage to diffuse much of the tension built by the good writing and music. And the dub, recorded at ADV's Monster Island studio (basically where the low profile titles went), is not impressive. Neither is the Japanese track, to be honest, but Junko Iwao's superb performance as Jun is a highlight.

Sword Of The Stranger. Anyone with any interest in quality Samurai anime must watch this film. The story is quite straight forward, but has some good deeper undertones.

Last week I watched Higashi no Eden (or Eden of the East). It took me three sittings to watch. Had never really planned to see this anime, it just kinda happened. I've got to say that I'm glad I did as it was an entertaining series. The characters were very loveable and the story line kept me addicted. The question that were asked begged to be answered, and most were, however.... this series didn't have an ending... well, it did have an ending in the "there's no more episodes" sense. But, the story line suddenly picked up speed and then abruptly ended. To me, it was an obviouse sign of more story to come in a possible second season, the Movie has already been confirmed.

Don't let what I say about the ending put you off though. This series has an intriguing storyline with great animation. The anime was very smooth and pleasant to my eyes. I'm very much looking forward to more "Eden of the East" and strongly suggest that people give it a try. I feel you shan't be dissapointed.

Besides EotE, I also watched a few "Naruto Shippuden" and rewatching Haruhi Season 1 in sub as I've previously only seen it dubbed. It's good, but I'm thinking the dub has the edge for me (rare imo). =P

Ghost In The Shell Solid State Society:Loved every second of this!After finishing second gig last year I'd really been looking forward to more of the same and the movie provided me with that and more!The ending is fairly open also,so there is a part of me that hopes for another season!(although its unlikely^_^;)Overall,a reccomended watch for fans of the series!

Utawarerumono: 1-5

Good stuff. It felt like the fast-forward button was on at times but good nonetheless.

With a series like this, you usually get a fair amount of episodes devoted to character development. But Uta has gone like this so far:

Ep 1: Introduction of lead and the village he woke up in after having been found in the forest (this wasn't shown).

Ep 2: A fight against a guardian of the forest which took place in order for the lead to become respected.

Ep 3: The introduction of the leader of a a small band of rebels who has a fort.

Ep 4: The death of the village chief, which resulted in the lead becoming clan chief waaay too fast.

Ep 5: The leader of the band of rebels vowing to serve the main character and giving him control of what he had control of.

It's all happened too quickly to be convincing. Usually, when a guy with no tail or animal ears pops up in a village full of people with tails and animal tails, you'd expect them to be aggressive. But no, they welcome him with open arms - he's even allowed to live with the village chief. And her daughter, right from the get-go, is all too willing to be submissive and care for the main character. The stories hentai roots show through with some of the females personalities.

But, fast-fowarding and the issues with the females aside, it's started out solid. I'm pretty certain it'll be an 8/10 series, one worthy of £24 when it's on the verge of going OOP.

As per the psudo-reccomendation of the AnimeWorldOrder podcast (the best there is, really) I watched the first part of the Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman OVA. It was very funny and pretty much insane. As the title suggests, it has no class whatsoever and is full of eechi but I still enjoyed it a lot :]

Aion said:
Utawarerumono

Furry.

Just joking, don't go crying now.

Rumbling Hearts 1-10 - This show is so pathetic, but at the same time extremely entertaining... it's sort of like a DragonForce song, I can watch the first two minutes and then come back for the last minute or so without the middle part and I'll still understand it. Four episodes to go, I'm on the verge of killing myself after watching through a bunch of series severely lacking action. Thank God I got all of Black Lagoon to watch next.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still remember getting called that on FFXI. At the time I assumed it had a deeper meaning than a person who loves furballs, so I was confused.

If I wanted animal love, I'd watch Horo in S&W. Moe Goddess.

Fullmetal Alchemist episode 15
Best episode yet, seeing Ling animated was awesome.
I hope that this marks the begining of awesome that will continue from now on.

Back