Your viewing journal

ayase said:
Fullmetal Alchemist to End + Conqueror of Shamballa.

Very enjoyable. I imagine the parallel world twist was one of the things not in the Manga, but I thought it worked really well. The series ending was better than the film ending though.

Correct. The anime diverged fully (there had been filler/changes before) with the Greed fight. Most of the gate stuff in the anime is 'original'.

The film was pretty good. A typical 'original anime' one dimensional villain,...

Ed leaving Winry and Mustang having randomly moved to the south pole after the end of the series let it down, but it was still a good watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aion said:
The film was pretty good. A typical 'original anime' one dimensional villain,...
Who also happened to be a Nazi... That said, CoS features one of the better uses of them, because it utilised the whole Weimar Republic setting. Nazis are always better when used in context.

Mustang got his groove back at the end though. I was a little surprised at the Ed / Winry thing going on in the film TBH... Last time we saw him, wasn't Ed enamoured with Rose? At the end I felt as though if anything, it could have kept going. I guess the fact that Ed & Al were sealed in our universe would have made it hard though. But just think of the awesome alternate history Second World War anime they could have made...

Finished off Suzuka a nice simple to understand romantic drama/comedy with some sport thrown in. The end is predicable, and there were the odd bits I thought they may have expanded on but did not bother.

Seraphim Call. After watching the first episode about a super genius girl who as afraid of men who is called to defuse a bomb, I thought I was in for at least an easy to watch comedy. But every episode seems to be different. There's the one about the sporty girl bullied/tricked into being a model buy an artist. The little girl as seen through the eyes of one of her soft toys. And 2 episodes for the twin sisters, one from each perspective. I think the main theme seems to be change, and I would assume from its name there is some kind of angel theme.

Through ANN I have been watching Neo Angelique. Its not a bad show that people that enjoy things like Pretear should give a go. You have your pretty girl with powers Angelique surrounded by bishi blokes each with their own abilities and stories some of which are explored more than others. Standard plot for this kind of thing Angelique is destined to save the world, killing monsters from another reality or whatever in between sections of story. This is probably one of the better shows of this kind and had me looking straight away for season two at the end, which luckily for me was available as it is not a new show.

Gundam:Stardust Memory 1+2=I finally got round to watching this series after a fair bit of procrastination.So far it's good and it satisfies the U.C fanboy in me.

Gundam Seed Destiny 1:Its been a year since I finished Seed off,so at first it took time for me to realise that the opening scene was from midway in the first series.Interesting though,to see the effects of the battle on individual civillian lives and especially on Shinn.The scene in which he loses his family was especially emotional..Additionally,It's good to see the familiar faces of Kira,Athrun and others from the first series again as well as the new characters.Gundam Seed hasn't dissapointed me yet and I doubt Destiny will.

Haruhi Series 2: 1-4

So, two episodes then. I think three endless eps will do me for one night. Imagine watching Groundhog Day with far less variation (and comedy) and rather than sitting down to watch it in an hour and a half, watching a few minutes of it every week until it was finished. Yeah, I'd be pretty bored and pissed off too.

KyoAni sure do love that bloom effect.

Fullmetal Alchemist 21-25

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHES NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

But since I'd already been spoiled (thanks a bunch, internet) it wasn't much of a surprise. Whatever, damn it, this show is awesome. For once the hype is justified. And I'm becoming worryingly obsessed with Lust, due in no small part to the fabulous Laura Bailey turning in her sultriest performance ever. It's hard to believe it's the same actress who voices Fruits Basket's Tohru and Persona 4's Rise. MOAR PLZ.

^ Two spoilers which everyone on the internet knows, even if they have no interest in anime: Spike dies, Hughes dies.

It is brilliant, isn't it? Glad I wasn't last person in the world to watch it. Speaking of Homunculi obsession, I feel marginally insecure in my sexuality after kinda fancying Envy to begin with. He did look more female in the early eps and more male in the later ones I swear, It's not just me. Plus he was voiced by women in both English and Japanese. How was I supposed to know?

Watched the first episode of Hidamari no Ki today. It's from 2000 and based on a manga by Tezuka which he based on the life of his great-grandfather, who was a pioneering doctor in mid-1800s Japan. It was a very strong opening for a series. Funny, entertaining and interesting as history (presuming it's true, which is probably is as Tezuka tends to use historically correct facts in his works). It's cool to see the clash between Confucian medicine and Western Enlightenment medicine (in Japan, the Dutch seem to have the main proponents of this) clash. It could all turn to **** in the second episode, but so far I really like it. Very disappointed that only 3 episodes have been subbed :'[

ayase said:
Speaking of Homunculi obsession, I feel marginally insecure in my sexuality after kinda fancying Envy to begin with. He did look more female in the early eps and more male in the later ones I swear, It's not just me. Plus he was voiced by women in both English and Japanese. How was I supposed to know?
You mean Envy isn't female? That's the impression I got, too, but unlike yourself I never harboured any impure feelings towards her. Him. Whatever.

I'd just like to mention that the third op and ed songs are both ****. I loved the second ones, but even the Winry service isn't enough to make me want to sit through the third ending more than once.

GTO: 1-4

Not hot on the fast-forwarded start or the average filler thrown in to stretch the episodes. Episode 4 was like 80% filler, with something that was sorted in a few pages in the manga - the Onizuka picture posting - taking an entire episode, with a ton more picture pranks and slapstick humour added.

SP seem intent to rearrange even small scenes just to get episodes to fit. Why have Onizuka rip his teaching certificate in front of the school inatead of in front of Azusa, after they walked into school together for the first time as teachers (which wasn't included at all in the anime)? Less OnixAzusa time for no good reason.

The series isn't bad but it'll never be great when you have filler thrown in involving Onizuka walking around school hunting for ghosts, looking like a pussy. The best thing about it so far is the stylish black and white opening.

Suzuka: 1-3

A rather boring start, complete with a plain harem lead, generic harem support characters and a bitch in the role of main love interest. When the harem female lead the series is named after comes across as a bitch and lacks the looks to make my penis harder, there's something wrong.

Basically, it's nothing new and not executed in a way that makes it stand out from the romance/harem crowd.

fabricatedlunatic said:
ayase said:
Speaking of Homunculi obsession, I feel marginally insecure in my sexuality after kinda fancying Envy to begin with. He did look more female in the early eps and more male in the later ones I swear, It's not just me. Plus he was voiced by women in both English and Japanese. How was I supposed to know?
You mean Envy isn't female? That's the impression I got, too, but unlike yourself I never harboured any impure feelings towards her. Him. Whatever.

I'd just like to mention that the third op and ed songs are both ****. I loved the second ones, but even the Winry service isn't enough to make me want to sit through the third ending more than once.
Agreed. I've never paid much attention to L'arc en Ciel but "Ready Steady Go" was the perfect FMA opening.

I've a thing for skinny, androgynous looking girls anyway, as well as the curvier kind. This dualistic fetishism is why I'll probably never have a stable relationship again...

Back