Your viewing journal

Level 1 Demon Lord and One Room Hero Episode 4

Malevolent Spirits: Monogatari Season 2 Episode 16

Sweet Reincarnation Episode 5

The Dreaming Boy is a Realist Episode 4

Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos - Episodes 41 - 47 [Final]

Revenge of Cronos is a really good mecha show it's got a bit of everything and has some really nice mecha designs in it as well. It's a real shame that it always seems to get overlooked and live in Transformers' shadow in perpetuity, there's lots of similarities but it I think it's one of the absolute highlights of that transforming robot genre. The series actually ends with episode 44, the remaining three episodes are clip shows.

Ranma 1/2 - Episodes 145 - 146 (Blu-ray)

Synduality Noir - Episode 2

Despite appearing to have not a single ounce of originality in it, I have rather enjoyed the opening episodes of Synduality Noir.

NieR: Automata Ver1.1a eps 9 & 10
Would you Adam and Eve it?

After dropping quite a few of a smaller than usual bunch I thought I'd pick up another show. And seeing as this is the second highest rated new show and seeing some AniTubers rave about it I thought I'd give it a go.
My Happy Marriage eps 1-3
From the synopsis I thought, despite the title, that this sounded like a much more depressing version of Taisho Otome Fairy Tale and thus didn't pick it up. There's certainly lots of terrible things that happen to our female lead that we see both current and flashback, but the central romance does seem like it'll live up to the title of the show. But there's a lot more intrigue than in TOFT too with the supernatural element and some political drama with her seen as a prize to be fought over. I'm betting she ends up being super powerful and her mother's death and subsequent treatment prevented it from manifesting. I hope she gets to put her step mum and half sister firmly in their place at some point.
Oh, and it's flippin' gorgeous too.

Uncle from Another World eps 8-10
Help for heroes, cooling off and onsen.

Detective Conan episodes 367, 371-372, 374-375, 381-383, Detective Conan Movie 09: Strategy Above the Depths (Film)

Ōoku: The Inner Chambers - Episode 2-10 [English Audio]
I understand this isn't close to a complete adaptation, but I think it gets point across well enough here. Very good and thats despite some issues in how its presented, as the animation is pretty workmanlike most of the time and pretty awful in others (intimate scenes being particularly bad/unintentionally hilarious at points). I don't get the impression there is gonna be more but I would be up to see it. The dub has its fair share of problems too, like awkward editing, technical issues and while its more functional most of the time (if sometimes over the top), the 2 male leads (for both the first episode and the remaining episodes) feel noticeably miscast.

Ultraman Final (Season 3) - Episode 1-5 [English Audio]
This continues, too early to tell if it escapes the mediocrity this show has largely been in since the beginning. probably won't but if its fun enough

Moriarty the Patriot
Episodes 10+11
The Two Detectives.
Sherlock gets on a train at York. Funnily enough I got on a train at York today.
Station has not changed much.

So they used the real-life location for the artwork in the show? Pretty cool.

I work in York, every weekday - York, Pennsylvania, that is! And I live just outside of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, so I'm in Red Rose vs White Rose territory over here. No war going on right now, though! :)

Eva Rebulid 1: OK, this is fairly safe so far. Feels pretty much just like a recap of the first half of the series but with flashier visuals. Enjoyable enough but uncontroversial. Well apart from the pervy camera angels which weird me out when they're letching over 14 year olds...

Eva Rebuild 2: Seems to mostly be in the same vein and again very enjoyable, though I'm sure a lot of stuff is diverging from the original now. It's hard to be sure because my memory of the details of the original show is already sort of hazy, but it seems to be forging its own path now, interesting.

Eva Rebuild 3: WTF, it's all gone batshit really quick! This must have been a bit of a curve ball after 5 years or so of audiences thinking Anno was delivering them a restrained subtly different retelling of their beloved show. He must've been in an "End of Eva" sort of mood when he made this. I've got so many questions. My grip on things was already tenuous enough, but now I've really lost the plot on what's happening or why, or what everyone's motivations are. Stuff just seems to be sort of happening.

However my body is now ready for Eva Rebuild 4! Let's see if Anno can pull this all together somehow, or just doubles down on the lunacy, either way works for me!

Last edited:
Bungou Stray Dogs 5th Season episode 53 Falter.

Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Wander the Dungeon episode 4 Taken.

Undead Murder Farce episode 4 Sunrise and nightfall.

Detective Conan episodes 385-387, 390-391, 394-396, 398-402

Uncle from Another World eps 11-13 (complete)
Quite a fun romp with the titular Uncle recalling his time in an isekai to his nephew and at some point his nephew's childhood friend joins them (I can't remember when she joined, the show started a year ago! before going on hiatus). In splitting the story up like this it has it's cake and eats it, with the Uncles fish out of water/OP antics in the isekai and man out of his time jokes about old media in the real world.
The art is a mixed bag with some weird stuff, but the all girls character designs are cute AF. Some good fight scenes animation wise, but again some of the rest of it felt basic.
8/10

My Happy Marriage
ep 4
Bound together.

So they used the real-life location for the artwork in the show? Pretty cool.

I work in York, every weekday - York, Pennsylvania, that is! And I live just outside of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, so I'm in Red Rose vs White Rose territory over here. No war going on right now, though! :)
As the train was leaving the station, they even had the 13th century walls in the background.
The Transport Police turn up in the second part. My Dad was in the British Transport Police. This is the only time I've seen them on anything.

He must've been in an "End of Eva" sort of mood when he made this.
Exactly right, he very much was from what I've read and one can experience from the third movie, as you did. Fortunately he saved the melancholia for the penultimate in the series and not the final one, much to fans' delight and relief!

Ah, and I just read your bit on the 4th one so you've already seen it yet. I certainly agree with your views, but did find the last 2 movies get better and better with repeat viewings, though I'm never one for an objective opinion on Eva.

I'll be honest I watched the rebuilds after the main series and my opinion was much along the same lines as well, after the first couple of films I just kind of lost track of what was going on.

This unfortunately ruined the next two films as a lot of stuff was just happening and I couldn't get behind the reasons why.

There were some good/redeeming bits, such as
slice of life Village section which I was really digging
but I kind of shut off when events were flying at me and I was lost some way back in the plot.

I'd say that the rebuild films suffer from a lot of the same issues as the main series, failing to explain the narrative sufficiently and instead relying too much on user interpretation. Interpretation can work if you leave a bit of room for it, but there are vast chasms of it here.

I am a big fan of the Nolan movies (Inception, Interstellar etc), they explain the mechanics pretty well and repeat re-watches show some more details, along with some space to allow you to fill in the few gaps that aren't called out. Tenet however was for me a confusing mess of a movie, and I had no desire to watch this again to even see if it would start to make sense. This is the closest thing I can think of to the last two Rebuild movies.

I hope Oppenheimer is better than Tenet was!

I'd say that the rebuild films suffer from a lot of the same issues as the main series, failing to explain the narrative sufficiently and instead relying too much on user interpretation. Interpretation can work if you leave a bit of room for it, but there are vast chasms of it here.
My personal opinion as always is that the tech mumbo jumbo and lore in Eva should be taken as flavouring to the characters and their stories, and would even go as far to say the same for the action scenes, though the latter can certainly be enjoyed without the need for a guide. I also wasn't a fan of the CGI in the 4th rebuild - much preferred the treatment in End of Eva.

The lore can be fascinating but is barely to be found in the show itself and definitely needs a review of multiple resources online, if one is intrigued enough by the mysteries. Additionally more reading is required for the story of the creators, especially Anno, which is also key to experiencing Eva in my opinion, especially for what is for me the pinnacle of it in the End of Eva. For someone who enjoyed the show (even if not immediately after the first viewing, like myself), the further reading is quite enjoyable and even a desirable way of keeping the show and characters' stories alive for a little bit longer, kind of like playing new game+ for your favourite video game heh.

I am a big fan of the Nolan movies (Inception, Interstellar etc), they explain the mechanics pretty well and repeat re-watches show some more details, along with some space to allow you to fill in the few gaps that aren't called out. Tenet however was for me a confusing mess of a movie, and I had no desire to watch this again to even see if it would start to make sense. This is the closest thing I can think of to the last two Rebuild movies.
I love Nolan's work and Interstellar is one of my all time favourites (it also had a very Anno feel, including like the time distortion story aspects of gunbuster). Tenet I just found so boring that I couldn't even be bothered to concentrate on the plot intricacies and was on my phone for more than half the runtime. It's the same issue I have with some pretentious art house movies, where yes there's lots to infer and interpret, but none of that would matter if the subject matter is not entertaining. I watch such media for entertainment first and psychoanalyses/thesesa distant second.

I love Nolan's work and Interstellar is one of my all time favourites (it also had a very Anno feel, including like the time distortion story aspects of gunbuster)

It's funny as I watched these in the opposite order so I wound up seeing the time dilation stuff from Interstellar, when in reality Gunbuster probably influenced Interstellar quite a bit with how this played out.

It's funny as I watched these in the opposite order so I wound up seeing the time dilation stuff from Interstellar, when in reality Gunbuster probably influenced Interstellar quite a bit with how this played out.
It could also be a similar case to Inception and Paprika where many have assumed an anime's influence on Nolan's work. Planet of the Apes has also dealt with time dilation so the idea predates Gunbuster.

Back