Your viewing journal

DOGEZA: I Tried Asking Episode 11 Wash and Flash.

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World Episode 12 (Complete. For me this looked to have the potential to be my AOTS going by the story's concept. Both of the MC's are likeable in their own ways and the story itself is engaging with some interesting arcs and villains. Everything else about this show is decent, just a shame it had a few obvious issues. Overall it was OK but I do feel as though that this would have benefited from having a longer episode count.) 3/5

Strike Witches: Road to Berlin Episode 12 Liberation. (Complete. Another decent season and by far the strongest of three so far in action terms. I'm looking forward to the next instalment of this series franchise that's coming next year.) 3/5

Super HxEros (Blu-ray Uncensored) Episode 6

Golden Kamuy Season 3 episode 12 (End)
Yet another fantastic season of Golden Kamuy. Still love its bizarre sense of humour and fun characters. The story also seemed a lot more focused this time as well as developing much of the cast outside the main three. Hoping for a fourth season

Snow White with the Red Hair [Rewatch] episodes 7-12 (End)
Still good on a rewatch. Though there is some drama this is a relatively light-hearted series. Shirayuki and Zen make for great MCs and while the other characters aren't really developed too much they still have their moments. As expected from Studio Bones the production is great. Nothing too fancy in terms of animation but the art is really nice to look at.

SeriesFormatStatus
Grimoire of Zero12 episode seriesWatched
Show By Rock!!12 episode seriesWatched
AKB004813 episode seriesWatched
Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu12 episode seriesWatched
Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu Specials2 episode specialWatched
AKB0048: Next Stage13 episode seriesWatched
Snow White with the Red Hair [Rewatch]12 episode seriesWatched
Snow White with the Red Hair 2nd Season12 episode seriesPlanned
Gatchaman Crowds Insight: Inbound1 episode specialPlanned
Gatchaman Crowds Insight12 episode seriesPlanned

Kimisen, Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World episode 12 Niceness. (Complete. Likeable leads with chemistry aside this was an alright if unremarkable viewing experience overall.) 3/5

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
episode 12 Without you. (Complete. Another laidback outing for the season which also dealt with more serious topics here and there. With a second season announced I look forward to more of this series.) 3.5/5

Noblesse
episode 12 Wrong room.

NG Knight Lamune & 40 episodes 19-38 (Complete. A mostly episodic series that eventually built to a more overarching storyline with a likeable enough cast and plot ideas. I wouldn’t have discovered it if it weren’t for Discotek’s release and may pick up the sequel series eventually too.) 3/5

First three episodes of Busou Shinki which I got from MVM mystery box at some point. This show is basically if Gundam Build was about those overpriced posable Anime waifu figures you can import. And instead of being a show for kids it's aimed at the worst part of adult otaku culture who unironically want to bang said figures. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me they intended to make a new line of those figures and this anime was a glorified commercial. It's literally a harem anime but with anime statues instead of girls, and is otherwise just as by the numbers as your regular harem anime.

Once my brain made that connection the whole thing became incredibly cringey. I think I'll drop it.

Also watched Invaders of the Rokujouma which ironically enough is also a Harem anime but with supernatural girls. Just as by the numbers but this one was designed as a comedy at heart so I enjoyed that aspect.

Last edited:
Golden Kamuy s3 e12 (complete)
Echoing the thoughts of others that this is the best season yet, still the same combo of comedy, drama, anthropological lessons and cooking show, but now we learn a lot more about the secondary characters and expand the world beyond Japan. I will say that as much as I like the zany stuff sometimes it cuts the dramatic tension a bit too much, so only a
9/10

Rail Romanesque
ep 12 (complete)
Onwards
Basically an advert for various (heritage?) railways in Japan with each girl being an anthropomorphised railway engine (actually making it the first show of this genre I've watched. I do have Strike Witches, Girls und Panzer, and KanColle on my PTW list). The girls had nice designs and were cute and it seemed pretty informative about each one, but I'm not a train nerd so I was also not too interested.
Short and sweet, but I'm not the intended audience.
5/10

I'm Standing on a Million Lives
ep 12 (complete)
The value of a life.
I'm kind of mixed on this with some interesting aspects especially with the female cast of wanting to improve themselves, but of course this comes with the help of the male MC who's a bit of a jerk and whilst not as OP as some isekai MCs is nearly always the one with the plan or rescuing his, otherwise pretty competent, female colleagues. There were some good comedy and drama moments, but some of it was a little dull. There was an interesting twist towards the end regarding the isekai world and I think I may continue.
The technical aspects weren't top notch, but weren't rubbish either.
6/10

Noblesse
eps 10 & 11
How do you make a thing with Vampires and Super Humans so boring!?
Should have realised after the first 2 Webtoon adaptations that this would be a 13 episode season. I'll watch the last 2 episodes next week. Hopefully the final showdown will at least be a decent battle.

Iwakakeru -Sport Climbing Girls- ep 12 (complete)
Reach for the top.
As with most sports anime it was pretty formulaic with newb joins club in need of members, is a natural and with the help of teammates improves even more, competes in some competitions, have some kind of drama which gets resolved real easy and end up performing really well at nationals. So then it comes down to the cast and the 4 main girls were all entertaining in their different ways and the support cast had some real characters as well especially the cat pun girl and the villain of the piece who was played exceptionally well with the 2 personas that she showed.
Again pretty average technically, but good enough.
7/10

Attack on Titan Final Season
ep 3
Determination.

Moriarty the Patriot eps 9-11 (complete)
The game is afoot.
Interesting take on the Sherlock Holmes franchise. Looked at first to be a "case of the week" show, but then mixed it up nicely with the backstory arc and then the introduction of a certain someone. Maybe the aristocrats were a bit OTT in the portrail of their villainousness, but I suppose it meant you had no qualms about their deaths.
I liked the portrail of London, but the character art was that style (or means of production) that doesn't look quite right to me.
8/10

Jujutsu Kaisen
ep 12
Soul crushing.

Crunchyroll nearly done, just Noblesse and Fire Force to go and 1 of 12 Funimation shows done (I put Higurashi on hold) and then Great Pretender to finish 2020s shows.

Last edited:
Psycho-Pass: Sinners of the System: Case.1: Crime and Punishment (Japanese audio) - Film
Psycho-Pass: Sinners of the System: Case.2: First Guardian (Japanese audio) - Film
Psycho-Pass: Sinners of the System: Case.3: On the Other Side of Love and Hate (Japanese audio) - Film

Considering I liked the first season, didn't mind the second season and forgot what was going on for most of the first film, the Sinners of the System film series is pretty good. The first case is more of a side story for the crew of PP2 and was good enough for what it does, the second case was pretty interesting for a story based on one of the PP2 members, and the third case which covers Kogami and the events after the first film was way more investing than I had anticipated and is the best of the three cases. Case 1 gets a 7/10 and Cases 2 & 3 both get an 8/10 imo.

Sword Art Online Alicization
Episodes 18 - 24

Bit of a cliffhanger at the end of episode 24, makes me want to carry on with the next few episodes ASAP

Laid-Back Camp [Rewatch] episode 12 (End)
Yep this is still without a doubt my favourite series. There's just so much I love about this series that I could write an essay. Behind all the camping and the usual Kirara fun, Laid-Back Camp is at its core a series about new experiences. It executes that theme so well with regards to Nadeshiko and Rin's friendship as Nadeshiko dives straight into her new hobby while the normally solitary Rin comes to realize the fun of camping in a group. Really looking forward to the next season in two weeks!

Adachi and Shimamura episode 12 Lead. (Complete. A story focused around an unlikely bond that grew with each episode as the characters developed personally. I’m glad the alien character didn’t detract too much from the narrative as well.) 3.5/5

Akudama Drive
episode 12 Promise. (Complete. An enjoyable science fiction series that built upon its promising premise. I’m glad this wasn’t another NGL S2 situation wherein I was left a bit disappointed.) 4/5

Higurashi: When they Cry - NEW
episode 13 Massacre.

Nichijou (Rewatch) episodes 1-9

Also spent some of the day perusing Christmas specials whilst also partaking in my yearly watch of Gremlins (w/filmmaker commentary this time around) & Die Hard.

Finished Megalobox (dubbed), including the audio dramas (which were sub only). I really liked it, particularly the philosophical conflict element and the way that served to kind of avoid overly demonizing the main female character. Great music production too, and i appreciated how earnest the ending theme rap was, along with the "rough around the edges" nature of it, which really added to it's charm. The dub was fantastic too, and it was also nice to hear the Japanese voices while watching the two bonus audio dramas. The show did a good job with it's child characters as well, giving them more depth and agency than some series do as "secondary" members of the ensemble cast.

I am now rewatching The Twelve Kingdoms on Blu-ray (Discotek Release, dubbed) and enjoying it immensely. I don't agree with the show's
overly forgiving attitude towards some of the adults in the series, blaming their victims for the nasty way they were treated,
but overall it's fantastic with great character development. Just started episode 5 :)

That is the Bottleneck eps 9 & 10
Past revealed and a shock announcement.

Wandering Witch eps 10-12 (complete)
Run in with a dangerous gang parts 1 & 2, and with herself.
There were quite a few interesting stories, some quite dark for what appeared at first to be a light-hearted show, but the MC wasn't the best. Definitely came across as a bit arrogant. One of the best episodes didn't involve her at all (10) and the worst had multiple different versions of her (12).
Production was pretty good. I liked the character designs.
7/10

2/12 Funi shows done.

Last edited:
Arknights - Holy Knight Light
Was a nice surprise to see this released today. It's only a 9 minute special to commemorate the game's 1st anniversary for the global release but it's nice to see the characters from the game animated. The real surprise however was Emperor finally being given a voice and it was none other than Kenjiro Tsuda! It's hilarious seeing a gun toting penguin with the voice of Golden Kamuy's Ogata. The special was rather reminiscent of the Code of Brawl event featuring the fan favourite Penguin Logistics characters with the same fun shenanigans. The special retains the same great art direction Yostar Pictures are known for and while they may not be ready just yet I hope to see them work on a proper Arknights TV series at some point. In the meantime I would love to see Yostar Pictures do more fun projects like this.

Last edited:
Assault Lily BOUQUET episode 12 Together. (Complete. An okay watch each week - not sure if I’d watch a second season but some decent content overall.) 3/5

Jujutsu Kaisen (TV)
episode 13 I Won’t lose again.

Nichijou (Rewatch) episodes 10-21

Last edited:
Sword Art Online Alicization: War of Underworld
Episodes 9 - 23 (complete)

More fighting but a nice ending leaving it open for the movie to come next year

Adachi and Shimamura eps 9-12 (complete)
I really liked this at first with its story of 2 people meeting and discovering new feelings and improving their confidence through this relationship, but as the relationship went on it moved at a glacial pace and didn't really get anywhere by the end. Plus what was that alien side story about? Just a bit of a weird distraction that added nothing.
Art was lovely and there were some really nice shots.
7/10

Ikebukuro West Gate Park
eps 10-12 (complete)
A different type of justice and war!
Another show with interesting stories, but maybe could have done with a tighter overarching plot. At one point it was the Chinese mafia trying to move in, but the last 2 episodes were about the Yakuza instigating a turf war so they could take over.
The animation wasn't the best, though the music was good.
7/10

4/12 Funi shows done.

Last edited:
VLAD LOVE (Episode 1)

The first half hour of TV that Mamoru Oshii has directed in three decades is an intriguing if not gripping intro to a good vampire and an enthusiastic blood donor. If Let the Right One In was a rom-com...

I've seen some bizarre critiques of Oshii's direction of this episode, which have all came across as people wanting an formulaic, cookie cutter, blanket animation style for all anime series. Oshii has spent almost his entire career playing with the form of both anime and live action and he's not going to make a run of the mill seasonal anime now. That being said, there was nothing particularly unusual about this first episode other than the use of split screen a la 70s De Palma and Godard which I thought was pretty effective and in keeping with the fun, playful tone.

Looking forward to more.

Back