Your viewing journal

Kira Kira Precure - Episode 1 ngl bar the last 7 minutes I hated this it’s so forced cutesy and the girl liking cakes was too cliche for me but when she actually became a magical girl I liked it a lot more. I’ll try the next few to see if the other girls are more exciting that Cure whip

High School Of The Dead rewatch

Goofy fan service aside this is an great action horror show. Its intense and everyone goes a bit nuts from the insane pressure and the animation is great.

Anenome Hi Evolution 2
Part of the ScreenAnime watch along. Really enjoyed it. It's crazy and goes nuts with the franchise but was highly enjoyable because of that. The ending was so bombastic it felt like a Satoshi Kon film. The mix of visual styles and aspect ratios to show what time/universe we're in was a great touch.

Golden Kamuy s1 eps 10-12 (dub, rewatch complete)
This what I wrote last time:
Overall, quite enjoyable with lots of strings to its bow: the main plot, the comedy and the interesting facts about the Ainu and their way of life. Although sometimes that was to its detriment when instead of blending them nicely together they seemed to have their own segments within an episode.
Indeed it was the same this time, in fact even more so. Some episodes the tone was all over the place. Still each different aspect was either exciting, funny or interesting, but just a bit jarring when shifting between them. I think I remember season 2 being better, we'll see when I get to it.

No Guns Life 2nd Season episode 19 Discussion and confrontation.

The Millionaire Detective - Balance: UNLIMITED episode 6 Too far?

Kyo Kara Maoh! 2nd Season episodes 73-78 (Complete. Some arcs here were stronger than the others like the first season. Another solid watch overall.) 3.5/5

Kyo Kara Maoh! R
OVAs 1-5 (Complete. A series of side-stories that were of a similar vein to what I’ve seen so far from KKM. I’ve found the overall franchise to be decent but will be using this as a stopping point for the time being - season 3 will be watched eventually, however.) 3.5/5

NG Knight Lamune & 40 - Episodes 16 - 20

Past the halfway point now and still easy good fun.

Detonator Orgun - Episodes 1 - 3 [Final]

Not watched it since 2018 so needed to watch it again, still my all time favourite after 20 years and countless watches.

Doraemon - The Record of Nobita's Spaceblazer (Blu-ray)

A Certain Scientific Railgun T (English Dub) Episode 17

A Certain Scientific Railgun T Episode 20 Thrill of the hunt.

Fire Force 2nd Season Episode 32 Pi.

Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Fifth Plate Episode 8 Rivals forever and Unbreakable bonds.

Rent-A-Girlfriend Episode 7 Complicated.

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Episode 7 Purrrfect teasing and birthday drinking.

Re:ZERO s2 e7
A few tidbits, but at least half seemed a repeat of the last episode, I guess by the very nature of Subaru's curse/power it happens. And when it did diverge it just brought a load of questions, the main one being, if Garfiel and Ryuzu didn't want him to leave for whatever reason, it wasn't particularly clear, why let him go last time? Feels like this "life" should have come before the last one.

Gibiate ep 6
A new ally and more backstory.

DECA-DENCE ep 7
Power of persuasion.

Balance: UNLIMITED ep 6
Bad cop, badder cop.

No Guns Life s2 e7
Storytime.

Rail of the Star (sub)

A Certain Scientific Railgun T episode 20 A week passes.

APPARE-RANMAN! episode 8 Showdown.

Fire Force Season 2 episode 32 Ominous affairs.

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! episode 7 Birthday.

Flash Gordon (Film) A cult classic that is gloriously over the top and brings together some great actors early into their careers like Brian Blessed and Timothy Dalton. I found it very enjoyable to watch.

Land of the Lustrous episodes 1-12 (Complete. LOTL utilises its premise and core concepts in inventive ways, analysing psychological themes of self-worth and personality through the frequent physical damage and repair caused to Phos and the Lustrous around them. I’m curious to see how a second season could continue the story and how much darker it could go.) 4/5

From Thursday:
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 (Japanese audio) - Episode 7

Today:
Sword Art Online Alicization -War of Underworld- (Japanese audio) - Episode 19 (Part 2 Ep 7)

Fire Force s2 e8
Dying for death.

Rent-A-Girlfriend ep 7
Doki doki.

SAO Alicization: War of Underworld s2 e7
And lo super Jesus-kun did smite the bad guy and verily turned him to a tree for the LOLs!

Super HxEROs ep 7
Sweet dreams.

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou (English Dub) Episode 1

Lapis Re:Lights Episode 8 Storytime and a glittering performance.

Peter Grill and the Philosopher's Time (Uncensored) Episode 7 Drunken shenanigans.

Sword Art Online Alicization –War of Underworld– Episode 19 Race against time.

The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 8

Shirobako ep3-4

Still not feeling massively invested in the ostensible main characters (the sameface syndrome affecting the non-senior members of staff really does not help), but the goings on at the studio do frequently feel true to life, and I think that's what makes the show.

Chio's School Road ep3 (English dub)

The op gave me some incling that the gay wrestler character would not be handled well and, yeah... It's not a deal breaker, but for a show that otherwise does a pretty good job at avoiding cheap character stereotypes, the joke being that she's a predatory lesbian is a disappointment.

Lapis Re:LiGHTs episode 8 Orchestral manoeuvres in the dark.

The Misfit of Demon King Academy episode 8 Use of power.

Last Exile -Fam, the Silver Wing- episodes 1-9

Started my free trial with Screen Anime to get 2 films in the 3 days. First up:
Ride Your Wave (dub)
Well that was... unconventional!
I thought at first when in the first scene you see the 2 men watching the female MC, love triangle incoming, but then after the first 25 minutes or so that's out of the window as 1 of them is dating her. OK, where's this going from here? Then the bloke dies and it just goes very silly with the water ghost stuff, but recovers a bit after we discover the truth as to why he called her a hero, although you can see that coming after the sister recounts the reason he wanted to help people. Then in the finale which you can see a from a mile away as soon as the sister decides to play detective it just jumps the shark with the water climbing the tower and them surfing it back down, as spectacular as that was.
Production wise it was very pretty and well animated, although Yuasa's style can be a bit weird with some of the characters movement. The dub was OK, but the female MC can't sing for toffee, at first it was OK, as "OK, they're dating and singing along to their favourite song and if it was perfect it would be a little unrealistic", but it kept coming and there's a lot of it! I thought, looking at the Japanese VA's MAL page that it would be perfect as she is ex-AKB48, but managed to pull off the "normal" singing voice without being bad.
To me it's a bit like Fireworks, pretty, but the stories a bit lacking, although this at least had a message to its story.
6/10
Well that saved me some money, probably won't buy it physically now, at least not straight away.

Back