Your viewing journal

Started Sword Art Online [new season]

Only two episodes in and I'm enjoying it so far

Edit: What happened with the Aspect Ratio on Episode 3, how did they even manage that one :/

Last edited:
Space Dandy ep 2-3:
Yeah I think the charm has already worn off for me. I'm very much in the mood for something satisfyingly low brow, but I just can't manage to sit through the incessant sexist humour and objectification. This is going to be the kind of show where every single female character is lavished with pervy camera angles, isn't it? I just can't hack this stuff.

Space Dandy ep 2-3:
Yeah I think the charm has already worn off for me. I'm very much in the mood for something satisfyingly low brow, but I just can't manage to sit through the incessant sexist humour and objectification. This is going to be the kind of show where every single female character is lavished with pervy camera angles, isn't it? I just can't hack this stuff.
I’d personally recommend giving it a few more episodes, the stories get more inventive and the humour a bit less sexually oriented. For me the series got stronger as it progressed, as well as more creative. When I first watched the series I found the first few episodes to be the weakest, though they’ve slowly grown on me with rewatches.

Space Dandy definitely isn’t just pervy angles, there’s some great content to be had, or at least that’s what I’ve grown to love. Of course I understand that it’s not for everyone, as Dandy has a certain type of humour at times that can be offputting.

Last edited:
A Certain Magical Index III episode 12 The pacing feels better here which is good.

IRODUKU: The World in Colours episode 12 The ending is shaping up to be very bittersweet.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Golden Wind episode 12 Witnessing a flashback for Fugu whilst waking up feeling so horny.

Ms. Vampire who lives in my Neighbourhood episode 12 (Complete. A very cute and comfy supernatural SoL. It’s a simple premise executed efficiently, and it delivers exactly what I wanted from it.) 3.5/5

Tenchi Muyo! GXP episodes 15-26 (Complete. After the dull doldrums of Tenchi in Tokyo this was a step up, though it still wasn’t quite as good as either the original OVAs or Universe. It sits in the middle, and the new cast are fine, if unremarkable. I get the feeling this is a franchise that didn’t need as many entries as it had but is still a decent watch overall.) 3.5/5

Also delved into a few Christmas specials, namely Bottom “Holy”, the AVGN Christmas episodes and Blackadder’s Christmas Carol.

Zombie Land Saga episode 12 (Complete) - Cygames has done it again. As with Uma Musume in the spring season they've delivered a show with a ridiculous setup and yet it just works. While it doesn't reach the greatness of Uma Musume it's still one of the highlights of this year for me with great comedy and memorable characters. No other series could hire The Legendary Kotono Mitsuishi only for her to make zombie and chicken noises for the whole 12 episodes. Really hope there's a season 2 since there's still so much potential left for this series. 8/10

Tokyo Ghoul:re episode 11 - Okay the scene with Donato and Amon was actually quite good

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai episode 12 - Damn this arc really is delivering so far. Hopefully this ends well with the final episode.

Bloom Into You (English Dub) Episode 9

Senran Kagura Shinovi Master -Tokyo Youma Chapter- (English Dub) Episode 7 (Uncensored)

A Certain Magical Index III Episode 12
Much better pacing.

Bloom Into You Episode 12

Boarding School Juliet Episode 12 (Complete)
A series similar to Shakespeare's famous tragedy but with a school themed twist. The premise is simple enough that it basically delivered pretty much everything that I expected it would. 3/5

IRODUKU: The World in Colors Episode 12
Hitomi really deserved to see those fireworks before her departure. Bittersweet ending incoming.

Ms. Vampire Who Lives in My Neighbourhood Episode 12 (Complete)
A cute light-hearted supernatural SoL series about the story of girl meets girl, human meets a vampire and their unusual but friendly relationship. As someone who enjoys vampire anime series, I liked this quite alot as it hit all the right notes for me. What this did so well at was (as shown in Demi-chan) is that humans and vampires can coexist together despite the day to day problems that vampires have. Overall this was a fun and enjoyable series. 3.5/5

Operation Han-Gyaku-Sei Million Arthur Episode 9

Senran Kagura Shinovi Master -Tokyo Youma Chapter- Episode 11 (Uncensored)

UzaMaid! Episode 12 (Complete)
Honestly, I'm not even sure how to describe this series, other than that it made me very uncomfortable every week all the time watching this. 2/5

Space Dandy ep 2-3:

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen any of it, but if memory serves, Dandy had a different director for just about every episode, so it’s nothing if not varied. Some of it was a bit fanservicey, but I think the tone of each instalment depends a lot on who’s in the driving seat.

That said, I also remember finding it a bit insubstantial, if I’m honest. There were a handful of episodes I thought were real standouts, but otherwise... eh.

Bloom into You eps 11 & 12
Summer camp for practicing the play. Touko receives some information about her sister that reveals a side of her that she wasn't aware of and throws her for a loop. After summer camp finishes in 12 it's over to Yuu's place for another tender scene. I hope Touko gets to like herself better so they can be together as Yuu has definitely fallen for her now. Last episode next week, can't wait.

Side note. I watched 11 on the HiDive website and 12 on the app. It remembered that I chose white subs when I went over to the app, which have a small black outline, which is good. I noticed on 11 that the OP/ED subs were yellow and also with a black outline, which weren't there previously so maybe they've changed the style slightly since I last watched something on HiDive.

A Slime in Time ep10-12

Apparently I was three episodes behind on this. Feels like it's actually developed some tension now too, even if it is threatening to become a low-key harem show.

Ghost in the Shell: Arise Border 1: Ghost Pain

While Arise seems to have met with a mixed response on release, I quite enjoyed that. Very much in the same mould as SAC, it suffers a bit with the character art being noticeably blobbier and the sad lack of Yoko Kanno on the score, but otherwise that was a perfectly solid outing for Kusanagi and co. I hear the first instalment is the best of them, though, so we'll see how it goes.

Fairy Tail: Final Season episode 289 Tragic villain backstory time as Obit...I mean Zeref lost his love interest.

Goblin Slayer episode 11 The final arc begins with a goblin raid that hits close to home.

Radiant episode 12 The fun side of Radiant comes through again.

SSSS.Gridman episode 12 A very fun finale. (Complete. Very much the sum of the parts for me. The action and Gridman homages were fun and inventive, but the characters just weren’t very likeable or enjoyable for me.

Yuuta was an alright protagonist but the whole amnesia angle sort of limited his appeal for me. The Gridman alliance, though quirky, weren’t developed enough and when it came to Akane and Rikka I’m not sure who I was supposed to dislike more.
The defining scene to sum up my dislike of the latter was when Yuuta was stabbed and almost died. Rikka barely reacted and cared more about Akane’s situation. She spent most of the series just acting cold towards Yuta and didn’t have much of a personality outside of that.
That being said the finale was decent but this is a series that really needed a second cour, though after Trigger’s last attempt at one maybe it’s for the best that the series ended here.) 3/5

The Familiar of Zero episodes 1-13 (Complete. A good if not great fantasy seriees with a tsundere main character that borderlines on irritating but has some interesting stories and fun scenarios to keep the proceedings tolerable. I loved how the integrated real world items and objects into fantasy-a dragon being a fighter plane, a staff of destruction being a rocket launcher etc.
I was let down however by a faux marriage arc towards the end though as it was clearly a cheap tease considering the three seasons that followed and used the mind control cliche that I loathe.
Thankfully the ending episodes were better, despite some of the dramatics again feeling pointless since Saito was clearly never going to leave. Nevertheless I’m looking forward to the subsequent seasons.) 3/5 [would have been 3.5/5 if not for episodes 10 and 11.]

Watched a few more festive features including Arthur Christmas, the Porridge Christmas specials and the Ed Edd n Eddy ones too.

Last edited:
Karakuri Circus ep 11
Seems to have been another skip of info from the manga because suddenly there's a whole army of Shirogane!

Banana Fish ep 24 (complete)
That was a very good final episode, apart from maybe Golzine still being alive somehow to save Ash! And boy what an ending. I just read the epilogue story that was discussed above, and whilst it would add to the ending by telling you that Ash did actually die, I think I liked being somewhat open to the possibility he lived, especially as he survived worse during the show. Also it brings up the question of why didn't he seek medical help especially as Sing says in the epilogue that the knife missed all his vital organs!
I also noticed the "in memory of" at the end of the OP was for the voice actor of Golzine, Unshou Ishizuka, who also did Jet from Cowboy Bebop, Van Hohenheim from FMA and Joseph Joestar! RIP
As to the series itself I think @HWR has said everything about the plot. Just to add the music and animation we're good and both OPs are great.
7/10

IIRODUKU ep 12
School Festival day and everything goes off without a hitch. With a whole episode dedicated to sending Hitomi back, I think something is bound to happen that means she can keep the happiness she's found. Either the magic works to extend her time in the past or Yuito somehow goes with her?

Boarding School Juliet ep 12 (complete)
That was a close shave, for a moment I thought they went where the original inspiration went! Such a great last scene and I assume there has to be more to come, I hope at least.
The show overall was very good with a likeable central couple, which they were very quickly so there was none of the 'will they, won't they' stuff. The comedy came from them trying to hide the fact that they were a couple and the various situations they found themselves in. A lot of the obstacles came in the way of the supporting cast who either wanted Inuzuka or Persia for themselves. Of these Hasuki and Char were both great as well. I really liked the character designs and some of the animation was pretty good as well.
8/10

Last edited:
Banana Fish - I feel Ash chose death. He saved Eiji and kept him away from his life and chose death to save Eiji. But I do like the epilogue makes it canon they love each other which of course them not saying it is an anime trope.

Laid-Back Camp (rewatch) episodes 4-5 - I suddenly want to cook soup-style pasta! Episode 5 is easily one of my favourites just for this scene alone,
Screenshot_20181223-011128_Crunchyroll.jpgScreenshot_20181223-011305_Crunchyroll.jpgScreenshot_20181223-011403_Crunchyroll.jpg
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind episode 12

Goblin Slayer episode 11 - This was a great episode with a nice start and a pretty metal 2nd half. Can't wait for the finale.

Conception: Please Give Birth to My Child! (English Dub) Episode 9

Radiant (English Dub) Episode 9

Release the Spyce (English Dub) Episode 5

Goblin Slayer Episode 11
Some major goblin slaying.

Radiant Episode 12

SSSS.Gridman Episode 12 (Complete)
Quite the all out final episode, as expect of Trigger. This was a fun series, and an enjoyable one imo. 3/5

Sword Art Online Alicization Episode 12
Some interesting info revealed & delving deeper in order to discover the truth behind the system of the underworld world.

Boarding School Juliet ep 12 [end]

First complete of the season for me, it was a ok end episode, the follow up to it felt stronger to me. Either way would love a 2nd season, but it’s highly unlikely. it’s the kind of anime I can see myself rewatching often so even being a 6/10 I still hope some region B publisher gets it.

Back