Your viewing journal

Free!: Dive to the Future episode 12 (Complete. Another solid season that reinforces the themes of free swimming and bonds from prior seasons that unfortunately became fixated on conflicts that made some episodes a bit tedious. Regardless I’ll be tuning in to whatever 2020 has in stock, and will likely watch the films in the meantime.) 3.5/5

Gintama Season Three episodes 131-134, 136, 138-149, and Season Four episodes 151-163

Last edited:
Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan episodes 6-12 (Complete) - A pretty unique series with fun characters and interesting art direction. The story and conflict between characters was handled pretty well and the dragon designs were cute. 8/10

Steins;Gate 0 episode 23 (Complete) - Having been put through hell by the original series we've been treated to more time travel suffering as the mad scientist becomes a sad scientist. I really can't find much to fault it for as it really does serve as a worthy sequel(?) to the original series. 10/10

BanG Dream! Girls Band Party!☆PICO episode 13 (Complete) - A great series of shorts featuring the Bandori girls. As a fan of the game I've come to enjoy the characters so it was pretty fun to see them in such a chaotic series. The theme song is also a banger so I can't wait to attempt that when it's included in the game. 8/10

Frankenstein Family episodes 5-6

Last edited:
Chio's School Road (English Dub) Episode 10

Hanebado! (English Dub) Episode 10

Harukana Receive (English Dub) Episode 10

OVERLORD III (English Dub) Episode 9

The Seven Heavenly Virtues (English Dub) Episode 1 - 10 & Specials (Complete) (Uncensored)

Beatless: Final Stage (Sub) Episode 1

OVERLORD III (Sub) Episode 12
So much death, talk about overkill. YIKES.

HisoMasoo
HisoMasoooooo
HisoMasoooooooooooooooo
eps 7-12 (complete)
A fun series with a likeable cast. I particularly liked Hisone, very Mako-ish (fun fact the English VA played both, not that i watched Kill La Kill dubbed). The plot was pretty wacky, but I felt fell apart a bit with the romance stuff. Sada's story especially didn't make sense, if she loved her friend so much that the mere memory of her would cause Maso-tan to stop cooperating surely it would have back then! Also if we ignore that plot hole for a moment I think a more fitting end would have been if she had sacrificed herself, it would have made sense given what happened and would have made for a more bittersweet ending, rather than "yay happy ending". Also Hisone and Maso-tan survived because "yay happy ending" it seems!
The animation was great and some of the painterly backgrounds were lovely and I liked the soundtrack, but the plot brought it down from a higher score than I was thinking of earlier.
8/10
TThis review was brought to you by Yakult

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord (English Dub) Episode 10 (Uncensored)

Kakuriyo: Bed & Breakfast for Spirits (English Dub) Episode 24

Beatless: Final Stage (Sub) Episode 2

Iya na Kao sare nagara Opantsu Misete Moraitai (Sub) Episode 6

A Fish Called Wanda (Film) A cleverly crafted comedy with a nice blend of more subtle and over the top humour and setpieces. The cast are on top form, with Kevin Kline in particular giving it his all. One of the funniest films I’ve seen in a while. 4.5/5

Gintama Season Four episodes 165, 167-170, 172, 175, 177-184, 186-201 Catching up gradually. The series gets better and better as it progresses asides from one or two arcs that were skim fodder, but given how long the series is not every one can be to my taste. I love how seemlessly the stories can go from lighthearted ridiculousness to well thought out and poignant depending on the story being told it’s great stuff.

Iria: Zeiram the Animation ep4

Some iffy pacing hurt this one (budget problems creeping in?) but it certainly came to life at the end. Creature designs also seem to be predicting the boss monsters from Resident Evil.

The Disasterous Life of Saiki K ep8

Pound for pound, this is still the funniest gag show I've seen in a very long time.

A Fish Called Wanda (Film) A cleverly crafted comedy with a nice blend of more subtle and over the top humour and setpieces. The cast are on top form, with Kevin Kline in particular giving it his all. One of the funniest films I’ve seen in a while. 4.5/5

Been a long time since I've seen it, but I really loved A Fish Called Wanda - they absolutely nailed that Ealing comedy feel.

Bleach: The Soul Reaper Agent Arc
That was pretty damn good. Loads of moments I remember from the anime and the CG isn't bad on the hollows. The fight scenes are all very good, especially with Renji after the fight with the Grand Fisher. The tone is darker for example the dad is still goofy, but not over the top and no talking toy bear, that's not to say that there aren't any humorous moments.

Having a quick look through the episode guides of season one of the anime the order of events have been changed and obviously lots of stuff has been cut, but everything important remains and there's a slight change to the ending IIRC (Ichigo loses his powers like in the anime, but also forgets Rukia which I can't recall).

Akai Hayate - Episodes 1 - 4 [Final]

I quite enjoyed this OVA, definitely going to cover it on the podcast.

Mobile Police Patlabor - Episodes 1 - 3 (Blu-ray)

A long overdue rewatch of the TV series, it's always been a favourite but I'd forgotten just how perfect a mix of drama and comedy it was.

Twin Star Exorcists (English Dub) Episode 12 - 13 (Blu-ray)

Revue Starlight (English Dub) Episode 8

Beatless: Final Stage (Sub) Episode 3

Happy Sugar Life (Sub) Episode 12 (Complete)
This is a show I really liked. That was an insane final episode. Asahi finally finds shio, Satou's luck comes to an end and the aunt does something insane. This has been one of the edgiest series I've ever seen, but at least it was a decent watch. 7/10

Revue Starlight (Sub) Episode 12 (Complete)
A rather decent show. This is a series I really liked with it's unique setting. I also liked the fight scenes, they where pretty good. I also liked the different relationships between the different characters. 6/10

Grand Blue Dreaming episode 12 (Complete. Lewd and sometimes hilarious, other times not so much. Whenever they actually did some diving it did so quite well. Not the best comedy this season but it did have some of the best set-ups, my favourite being how the gang kept intruding someone’s traitorous private time.) 3.5/5

Muhyo & Roji’s Bureau of Supernatural Investigations episode 9 Genuinely pretty eerie. Reminded me of the first episode, shame more of the series hasn’t been like this.

Crimes of Passion (Film) A sexually charged thriller that depicts the darkest aspects of the life of a prostitute known as China Blue (Kathleen Turner) The film is executed effectively by Director Ken Russell Who doesn’t shy away from humanising the leads and showcasing just how depressing and meaningless it can all be.

Another memorable aspect was Anthony Perkins Who turns in another signature creepy role as a twisted and perverse priest who becomes unhealthily infactuated with the lead. I digged the Rick Wakeman score as well, since I’m a sucker for synths. 4/5

Day of Anger (Film) Renowned for being one of the finest Spaghetti Westerns, this is a story that focuses just as much (if not more) on the teacher-pupil Bond between leads Talby (Lee Van Cleef) and Scott (Giuliano Genma) than it does on gunslinging action.

The main story here is Scott’s rise from a dirty outfit and street sweeping, with all the town looking down on him, to him taking in Talby’s teachings and becoming a certified badass who takes revenge on those who wronged him before.

It’s not a perfect film by any means, the secondary cast are generic and the film feels a bit long, but Scott is a fairly developed character with nuance and the ending is great. 3.5/5

Back