Your viewing journal

Fate/Extra ep4-6

At what point do we just start calling this Fate/Monogatari?

Tonegawa's Middle Management Blues ep2

This was fine, I guess, but is it just going to be an entire cour of Tonegawa sitting in meetings? It's already starting to feel like some kind of instruction manual.

More first episodes:

Planet With ep 1
Seems to be a spin on the mecha/hero show where instead of the hero losing his memory and then regaining it and his powers its a villain, or is he?

Cells at Work! ep 1
An educational show about the human body.

Asobi Asobase ep 1
Another skit show based in school. The "comedy" is a bit too weird for me and the reaction faces are way over the top (think Hinamatsuri or the faces Asirpa pulled in Golden Kamuy turned up to 12). I'll give it one more show, but at the moment it's getting dropped.

Holmes of Kyoto ep 1
Says its a mystery show, but this episode just introduces the 2 MCs. The male one does seem to be a copy of his (nick)namesake, but the female one isn't your typical Watson in that she seems to be just a normal high schooler, although seems to pick things up quickly.

Anglomois: Record of Mongol Invasion ep 1
Historical show about the Mongol invasion of Japan in the 13th Century.

Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs ep 1
An ecchi comedy harem show. Some amusing bits and maybe hints that Yuuna might have a sad story to tell, but it might not make it to the end of my season.

And one show continuing from last season:
Persona 5 the Animation ep 15
The next foe is revealed.

Assassination Classroom [Season 1] (Japanese audio) - Episodes 20-22 (Complete)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (English audio) - Film

That's the batch of on-disc backlog I had planned sorted for the time being. I'll be sorting out simulcasts next.

Cells at Work episode 2 Those cute af platelets are too pure for this body! Also our blood cell buddies find themselves in a tough scrape.

Music Girls episode 2 So does every idol anime have to have a stuck up tsundere character or what?

My Hero Academia 3rd Season episode 52 Ultimate move time, plus best girl Mei Hatsume gets more screen time.

Persona 5 The Animation episode 15 Best girl finally arrives on the scene as the Phantom Thieves try and deal with Medjed.

The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar episode 2 Was decidedly nonplussed about this episode. I may drop it next week if it has the same effect again.

The Thousand Musketeers episode 2 This seems to be getting a poor Rep on MAL but it's alright, I'm sort of interested in what the story will do. At least they're trying to develop the cast.

Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs episode 1 A comedy I'm unsure about, seems to retread a lot of familiar ground, but I'll give it a few episodes to prove itself.

Eureka Seven AO episodes 4-24 (Complete. Despite some of the very negative responses I've seen to ES AO I thought this was good though unneeded sci-fi sequel. Calling it a sequel feels kind of strange considering how different it is to ES, though this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I didn't mind the characters and story, even if it did divulge in sci-fi anime cliches such as overly complex plots, betrayals and other worldly shenanigans, and not doing them in a particularly great manner.

Ao as a protagonist was fairly likeable, as were the rest of the cast for the most part-some felt a little frustrating to watch at times due to the aforementioned cliches.

All in all this was fine, good even, but it could have been better based on its ideas and themes.) 3.5/5

Fate/Zero episodes 1-2 - Wow a Fate series with a genuinely interesting cast? I'm already hyped for the rest of the series seeing as it's an Ufotable written by Gen Urobuchi with music by Yuki Kajiura.

Cells at Work episode 2

Angels of Death episode 2

More first episodes:
Grand Blue Dreaming ep 1
For some reason I got the impression that this was going to be a SOL about diving. But its a another crazy comedy with extreme reaction faces. A bit funnier than Asobi, but still might get dropped at some point.

Happy Sugar Life ep 1
Umm, OK. That was something alright.

Dropkick on my Devil ep 1
Cute Girls Doing Cruel (and Cute) Things. A human summons a devil and one way she can get back to hell is to kill said human, but she constantly fails. In between they have lots of hot pots with 2 other devils and an angel whose lost her halo.
Lots of slapstick and some 4th wall breaking, seems like it'll be a fun show.

That's it for first episodes, I think, apart from the sequel shows. Not much has immediately jumped out at me. Some interesting, some OK and some might be dropped. Potentially very good shows are Angolmois and Banana Fish. Talking of, on to episode 2s:

Banana Fish ep 2

Catching up with more 2nd episodes:
Hanebado! ep 2
The serious one sorts out her demons, but the problem with the reluctant one is still unresolved. Thought it was a bit too early for a resolution to the problem really and happened too easily.

Island ep 2
Plot got a bit more ridiculous, the male MC
may actually be one of the earliest inhabitants of the island who was frozen after a priestess was asked to curse him because another girl was jealous of him and his sister for having an incestuous relationship! Either that or a reincarnation that comes from the future somehow. The 3 girls in the legend were from the 3 families that ruled parts of the island and are still there now. The 3 girls in the present all have the same names as those in the legend!

Chio's School Road ep 2
Very funny episode, especially the first skit:
Bloody Butterfly
chio.jpg

Angels of Death ep 2
The next level of the building.

Harukana Receive ep 2
Basically this whole show is going to be one long beach episode! The match was fairly intense and the end actually a little moving!

Darling in the franxx wherever I was-15
really didn’t like how the main pair turned out to have history together but conveniently forgot.

D-frag episode 1
Looks like this could be a fun little thing.

2018-07-15_22.png

My first batch of Summer 2018 anime simulcasts have begun!

Banana Fish (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2
HANEBADO! (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-3
Harukana Receive (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2
How Not to Summon a Demon Lord (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2

I have captured some screenshots for Demon Lord and Harukana Receive because they were great reaction moments to use :3

Asobi Asobase -Workshop of fun- episode 2 Another funny set of episodes, this is good stuff so far.

Hanebado! episode 3 Damn this episode presents some truly poor parenting, abandoning their child to coach another person what sort of justification is there for that? The manga which so far is very different offers some explanations so hopefully the anime adapts this too. On the upside at least Nagisa is growing as a character.

Planet With episode 2 I'm still curious as to what's going on here. Will continue to watch out of curiosity for the plot unfolding.

Fate/Kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA 2wei! episodes 1-10 (Complete. This was alright, it uses the clone trope and doesn't really do anything new with the storyline. The action picks up towards the end and tells a somewhat interesting setup. Throw in some slightly uncomfortable fan service and you have yourself an okay second season.) 3/5

Fate/Kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA 2rei Herz! episodes 1-10 (Complete. A more SoL orientated season that also manages to develop some backstory by its climax. A better season than what came before for sure.) 3.5/5

Flip Flappers episodes 1-13 (Complete. This anime is a little hard to pinpoint, I loved the animation and creativity in certain episodes, such as the MCs being spilt between two halves of the same person. The characters themselves were decent, each with their own hang ups and pasts that were explored, though some fared better for me than others.

The last few episodes presented some very interesting concepts though I wish they had more than just a one cour 13 episode run to develop. It also partially relied on the whole "misunderstanding/lack of information/falling out" cliche to get it going which was a bit meh. Overall this was good, and I do feel like it'll be worthwhile rewatching it in the future. The art book that came with the LE is superb also.) 3.5/5

Last edited:
Back