Your viewing journal

Banana Fish episode 2 Another solid episode that delved into some really dark subject matters. I'm really liking the soundtrack as well.

Cromartie High School episodes 1-26 (Complete. This was some zany oddball comedy antics. It's one that has to be seen to believed, with a sentient robot, Freddie Mercury lookalike and various weird delinquents-including a gorilla. It made me laugh quite a bit.) 4/5

D-Frag! episodes 1-12 (Complete. A zany comedy series that throws in fanservice and a love triangle or two. It seemed a little mean spirited at times towards poor Kazama but was otherwise another "this-deserves-but-won't-get-a-2nd-season" situation.) 3.5/5

Durarara!!x2 Ten episodes 1-9

High School DxD Hero (Dub) Episode 10 (Uncensored)

Miss caretaker of Sunohara-sou Episode 2

Non Non Biyori (Sub) Episode 1 - 2

Seven Senses of the Re'Union (Sub) Episode 2

Violet Evergarden OVA (Sub)

Finally catching up with a load of episode 1s

Hanebado! ep 1
Seems like a decent sports show about Badminton. The animation is very good. I don't particularly like or dislike any of the characters yet.

Island ep 1
A romance VN adaptation with an outrageous plot and the dumbest police officer ever.
A bit like Kanon but without the charm or the KyoAni polish. And feel. did so well with Tsuki ga Kirei and Hinamatsuri!

Chio's School Road ep 1
A comedy skit show about the adventures Chio gets up to on the way to school. Some very funny moments in it especially teaching the rich man lesson whilst also using him as a stepping stone and then she manages to get into and wonder nonchalanty out of a love hotel 😂

Angels of Death ep 1
Horror game adaptation. Ok first episode, could go either way.

Harukana Receive ep 1
Another sports show, but about Beach Volleyball. Seems a bit less serious than Hanebado, but has a couple of similar characters: the serious one and the reluctant one. But the MC is an enthusiastic beginner who seems to also be the comic relief.

Music Girls ep 1
An idol show. I thought at first the MC was an enthusiastic foreigner who would join the group and be great at being an idol in a similar set up to HaNaYaMaTa, but it seems her parents are both Japanese, but brought her up abroad for work reasons and she can't sing for toffee!

So my next Sunday Anime Marathon is happening this Sunday in my Frey Theater, only two days from now. This time around though, I am not hosting my seventh Studio Ghibli Movie Marathon - instead of 3 Ghibli movies, I'll be showing the entire 14-episode series of Violet Evergarden to my usual crowd of old folks in their 60's and 70's. We'll start in at 1:00 pm and break for hot sandwiches delivered from the local pizza shop around 5 pm, and then it's back to the rest of the series, probably finishing up around 8 pm.

The 14th "extra episode" OVA was just released in Japan on July 4th, and a rather poorly-subtitled version of the episode came out on Wednesday. Unfortunately the English subs are not much better than "Google Translate" quality, but it at least allows you to follow what is going on in the episode. I plan to show the entire series using the English dub (ugh!) for the courtesy of my ancient guests, but I'll be dropping-in the subtitled OVA between episodes 4 and 5 where it actually takes place. The OVA is basically Episode 4.5 rather than being a follow-up episode. It is an extended 34 minutes long, and of course is yet another tear-jerker episode. It successfully fills in the big gap in Violet's development, which was missing between the original series episodes 4 and 5, so I feel it is necessary viewing, even if sub-only for my guests. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that another version with better-quality subtitles gets released before Sunday...

I mean im also waiting for the subs so I can finally close the book on it for two years as still a major disappointment of mine. It just was very average and had the terrible final scene

How Not To Summon A Demon Lord (episode 2)
Still feels like it's trying its hardest to be a cross between Overlord and Konasuba, but the fanservice is dialled up a bit to stupidly for me I think. This may well get dropped soon.

Hinamatsuri (1-9)
I like this and I regret not watching it weekly. It's surprisingly easy to marathon though.

Darling in the franxx 9&10
Trying to take my time with this, don’t really want to binge then have to wait on the last couple episodes to get simuldubbed.

Coyote ragtime show 1-6
Enjoying this so far.

DARLING in the FRANXX (Dub) Episode 22

Doreiku The Animation (Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

Hinamatsuri (Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

Kakuriyo: Bed & Breakfast for Spirits (Dub) Episode 13

Akkun to Kanojo (Sub) Episode 15

Angels of Death (Sub) Episode 2
A change in events leads to a surprising alliance.

Chio's School Road (Sub) Episode 2
Chio's adventures leads to more comedic moments.

Happy Sugar Life (Sub) Episode 1
That has got to be one of the most shocking and disturbing first episodes I have ever seen, and here I thought this was going to be a typical SoL series until I saw that opening scene not to mention that office and the last 2 scenes.:eek:

Harukana Receive (Sub) Episode 2
Haruka begins her training for the upcoming rematch with Narumi, and Kanata anxiety resurfaces.

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord (Sub) Episode 2 (Uncensored)
Diablo's skills are put to the test. Shera's past catches back up with her, which also leads to a lewd time with Diablo.

Angels of Death episode 2 A grouchy Grim Reaper continues to get triggered at poor Rachel as they proceed through their grim and dank surroundings.

Chio's School Road episode 2 Once again this was humorous and wacky.

Grand Blue Dreaming episode 1 Another zany comedy? I'll give it a shot it was pretty funny.

Harukana Receive episode 2 A lot of butt shots this episode. I like how the match didn't feel too overpowered or underpowered on either side- made it feel more realistic. Music is great too.

My Sweet Tyrant episode 15 Not sure if I'd ever use the method seen in this weeks episode. I actively avoid confrontation where I can.

Durarara!!x2 Ten episodes 10-12 (Complete. A great arc of build up that continues the various storylines and craziness that is Durarara!! This franchise is one of my favourites.) 4.5/5

Durarara!!x2 Ketsu episodes 1-12 (Complete. A fun ride and good end to the series-unless there's more to cover. The plot and its twists and turns made for a satisfying ending, especially with how the story handles such a diverse cast.) 4.5/5

Erased episodes 1-12 (Complete. This was a very good mystery anime that told a dark but intriguing story of time travel and murder. I loved the atmosphere and music, and certain scenes such as Kayo crying upon waking up to a decent breakfast for once

However, the pacing towards the end felt a bit rushed, like it could have used another couple of episodes. Some of the side characters felt underdeveloped and the main antagonists motivations are a bit hazy. The biggest problem for me was how blatant the foreshadowing could be at times.

Also, the ending wasn't great, I was left a little disappointed, it feels very bittersweet for Satoru that after his sacrifice to save the lives of his friends he does heloses 15 years of his life to a coma and has to go through a rough recovery.At least he gets some closure by the end. A few of the problems I've listed were better handled in the manga.

That being said, Erased is an engaging anime that has its faults but pulls through thanks to its strengths. I just wish the series was a bit longer and fleshed out the story more in its last act.) 4/5

Eureka Seven AO episodes 1-3

Overlord episodes 5-13 - A fun take on the isekai genre that actually takes itself seriously instead of having the same generic harem setup. The character designs, music and characters are particular strong points and the use of CGI is surprisingly good. Overall a good first season. 8/10

I'll be catching up on the second season next as well as starting Free! seeing as both are airing series.

Back