Your viewing journal

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 eps 4-6
4 - S*** keeps happening to Mirai both large and small scale. She is still a brat, but almost all the adults we've seen have been selfish bastards, apart from Mari of course.

5 - Starting a more of an aftermath arc. Finally some good adults, even ones who have had some really bad news due to the earthquake. Events are slowly changing Mirai for the better.

6 - Some backstory for Mari.

Dagashi Kashi s2 e2
Funnier than the first episode. I don't know why Coconuts didn't point out to Tou that if he spied on Hotaru in the bath he would also be spying on his sister!

Gurren Lagann eps 9–12 (rewatch)

Just soaking up the little details in the animation, like in episode 9 where Simon finds the box containing Nia. When Simon runs his hand along the front of it, his fourth finger 'catches' a couple of times on the smooth surface, making it fall out of line in relation to the rest. I get excited about the subtly of little details like that, and that was the first time I'd even noticed it — on my third viewing.

Maybe I have really bad taste but I liked it. I actually thought it was better than the first season, but what do I know :D
To be honest I'm happy someone else appreciated Root A for what it was rather than what it wasn't. As I said in my summary, though it's not as engaging as the manga storyline I liked how they integrated anime only Content with manga plot points and there's some great scenes and an awesome score to accompany it. Will you be watching Tokyo Ghoul: re when it comes out?

Boruto: Naruto next Generations episode 43 To be honest I'm not that into the current mini arc arc here.

Tokyo Marble Chocolate
OVAs 1-2 (Complete. This was a fun and quirky set of OVAs that tell the story from the perspective of the two MCs. On a side note it was cool to read the booklet and see the interview with Naoyoshi Shiotani since I met him at MCM and got a picture holding those Dominator replicas :D. Overall this was a fun inclusion into the AL library.) 3.5/5

Vexille (Film)
I honestly kept losing track of what was going on here. It was like watching an never ending PS3 cutscene at times. However around 40 minutes in I got a bit more interested in The story and characters, but I'll be honest this wasn't that good and I can't say I was very invested. 2.5/5

Whisper of the Heart (Film)
I do love a good Ghibli film, they have nice atmosphere and characters- WOTH is no exception. This was that signature enjoyable flavour of whimsy whilst being one of the most down-to-earth narratives, dealing with relationships and the like. It's worth noting how sad it is that the director Yoshifumi Kondō died due to overworking and that this was his only film since he clearly had some real talent.

As an aside something I noticed with the Blu Ray is that the picture quality seemed to have some DNR which means the colours look a bit washed out in places etc. Some have praised this and some have criticised it for not being faithful. Maybe this is one to upgrade to the newer GKids release. 4/5

Eps 32-49 of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Eps 1-3 of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz OVA...watched it as the film ages ago so i thought i watch the OVA's
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop Picture Drama...gave it a watch since it was on the extra disc in the Ultra Edition

Ancient Magus Bride ep2-3

This is fine and all, but I think it just doesn't do a lot for me.

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens ep3-4

After four episodes, I'm not entirely sure the show's sillier moments really gel with its frequently brutal nature, but it's certainly trying something different, and I appreciate that.

Hunter x Hunter - Episodes 84 & 85 - Oh man I'm so conflicted, I mean on one hand I really liked Kite and pretty miffed that he died, on the other hand he was killed by an evil AF catgirl and her being an evil AF catgirl means I kinda love her already... But more seriously, I wish I didn't already know Kite was gonna die as I reckon seeing his severed head in Neferpitous lap would have had a much better effect on me, it could maybe have shocked me even. With that said I liked how Killua reacted in this episode, pretty interesting to see him like that. I assume we're getting a training episode next, I hope it doesn't last too long (the majority of the last arc was training episodes I think...).

It's worth noting how sad it is that the director Yoshifumi Kondō died due to overworking and that this was his only film since he clearly had some real talent.

Kondo also has a co-director credit on an impressive, but curiously rejected pilot film for the US-helmed Little Nemo movie - it can be found online fairly easily. His tragic passing at such a young age is a huge loss to the industry though. Aside from showing enormous promise as a director, he was allegedly Miyazaki's choice to succeed him at Ghibli after retirement, and it's easy to wonder if they might have been in a better position today, had he lived.

Kondo also has a co-director credit on an impressive, but curiously rejected pilot film for the US-helmed Little Nemo movie - it can be found online fairly easily. His tragic passing at such a young age is a huge loss to the industry though. Aside from showing enormous promise as a director, he was allegedly Miyazaki's choice to succeed him at Ghibli after retirement, and it's easy to wonder if they might have been in a better position today, had he lived.
It is alleged that Hayao Miyazaki decided to work at a slightly slower pace following Kondos' death, likely due to the cause apparently being stress from overworking. It's Such a shame.

The Familiar of Zero (complete)
So I'd like to say it started going a bit too fanservicey towards the end, but if i'm honest it did it quite early on I just didn't put it down :oops:

Back