Your viewing journal

Tamako Market-Episodes 1-4

Seems pretty enjoyable so far. I really loved the episode with Shiori, and her character. As someone who also has social anxiety, I could really identify with her issues a lot.

ACCA 13-Episode 5

Maken-Ki! eps 1-3 - Fan service ahoy!!
Martian successor Nadesico eps 1-9 - this series is bonkers but quite good at the same time. the dub is pretty decent as well.

Tamako Market-Episodes 5-7

Not sure if this is too much of a controversial opinion, but of all the KyoAni shows I've seen thus far, I think this one is probably the weakest. It's not bad by any means, but it's just not living up to their other works. I'm not as emotionally invested or attached to the characters like I was K-On or Chu2Koi, and it's not as funny as something like Nichijou or Lucky Star. There are a couple of good characters, Midori in particular I'm fond of, but I was let down that Shiori only has one good episode of focus and is not kinda just faded into the background a bit, and I don't think Tamako herself is a particularly interesting lead. The whole romance aspect feels kind of out of place and half baked, at least so far, but I guess that's what Love Story is for. I'm curious if this Dera plot is actually going to pan out into anything worthwhile.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid-Episode 5

No tears this week, but it was still good!

KonoSuba S2-Episode 5

A good episode (if a little lacking in Megumin) but it did feel a little bit odd in terms of placement. Kind of felt like a finale, yet there's still half the show left...

Last edited:
Sabagebu! ep4-5

Another thing I likely wouldn't have touched if the local club weren't showing it, this is actually fairly funny. The characters are a bit unmemorable and, even as someone who's played airsoft in the past, I still find it weird seeing people casually shooting each other, but the show does manage a nice line in surreal imagery - I thought the episode about the broken toilet handle recalled the inspired idiocy of Miss Critical Moment.

Last edited:
KonoSuba Season 2 - Episode 4 - This was a silly episode, a silly silly episode.....I love it.

Persona 3: Movie 3 - Falling Down - Not much to say tbh, I liked it but again I'll be curious to see how people who didn't play the game and can't fill in the little gaps between things happening react to it.

Ulysses 31 - Episodes 1 - 3

A perennial favourite of mine, the first time I saw it back in 1985 I was instantly hooked. Despite seeing most of the series on TV several times I have never actually seen the final episode. Browsing YouTube last year I noticed some guy was doing his own restoration the series (and doing a fantastic job of it) and now that he has finished the project it's time to re-watch Ulysses 31 properly from start to finish.

Tamako Market-Episodes 8-12 (Complete)

I did end up enjoying Tamako a fair bit, but I'll have to say, of all the KyoAni shows I've seen thus far, it's almost certainly the weakest. Well, I wasn't overly fussed on some parts of TSR, but I digress.

Biggest issue for me was I really struggled to invest myself in the characters, which is an issue given this is a very character driven series. Considering it was from the director of K-On, a series that legit made me cry at the end, twice if you count the film, I was expecting a little bit more on that front. Granted, K-On had two series, one of which was two cour, but still, I can't help but feel as if I was more emotionally invested in K-On by the end of S1 than I was here. I think Tamako herself might be a big reason, as she wasn't really a great central character. Sure, she was pretty cute, but she wasn't exactly interesting, and she was lacking any real flaws. Personally, I was much more interested in the Midori, and her seemingly having some hidden feeling for Tamako, but I felt like this didn't really go anywhere or amounted to much. The signs were clearly there, albeit fairly subtle, so it was disappointing to see them not really do much with it. The romance on the whole did come across as being quite half baked, but given there's a whole film to follow up on that element alone, I can't complain too much, but as I think @Joshawott said, the fact that Tamako here seems very aromantic, and almost totally unaware of Mochizou's advances, it would actually feel somewhat jarring for her to suddenly start taking an interest.

Complaints aside, I still thought the show was on the whole rather enjoyable. Dera was a lot of fun to watch, and I also was quite the fan of Kanna towards the end too. It also has the relaxed, SoL vibe that I love so much. It was just generally quite pleasant, and had a great atmosphere about it. The attempt at some kind of a story was neat too, and not something you generally see in SoL fare such as this, so it was a nice change of pace, and I felt the ending was satisfying enough, romance aside. As I mentioned in a previous post, I absolutely loved the one episode with Shiori and her social anxiety, and I think that episode probably stands as the highlight for me, as it's something that I actually could relate to on a personal level, but I was pretty dissapointed that nothing more was really done with Shiori, as she pretty much disappears into the background after her single episode of focus.

Honestly, I'd still recommend this series at the end of the day, for those seeking out the usual KyoAni SoL fare, just don't expect it to be the next K-On or something.

Ulysses 31 - Episodes 1 - 3

A perennial favourite of mine, the first time I saw it back in 1985 I was instantly hooked. Despite seeing most of the series on TV several times I have never actually seen the final episode. Browsing YouTube last year I noticed some guy was doing his own restoration the series (and doing a fantastic job of it) and now that he has finished the project it's time to re-watch Ulysses 31 properly from start to finish.

Great series with an amazing soundtrack, very fond of Ulysses 31

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Episode 42

As already stated on this thread, this episode sets up the arc that will take us to the series finale.

Ulysses 31 - Episodes 4 - 6

Great series with an amazing soundtrack, very fond of Ulysses 31

I've always really liked Ulysses 31 and its soundtrack was a big part of that, but so far the show and the soundtrack is actually even better than I remembered originally!

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Episode 42

As already stated on this thread, this episode sets up the arc that will take us to the series finale.

Ulysses 31 - Episodes 4 - 6

I've always really liked Ulysses 31 and its soundtrack was a big part of that, but so far the show and the soundtrack is actually even better than I remembered originally!

Mysterious Cities of Gold was done by the same people and has an equally epic soundtrack, im sure sunrise were responsible for some of the animation (even though they are French production)

Back