Your viewing journal

91 Days ep1

I had serious reservations about this one beforehand, but on actually viewing it, they had me at "Hello". This is already everything I wanted Gangsta to be.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A-Episodes 7-9

Episode 7: I'm sorry, but 'to get stronger' is not an acceptable reason to betray all of your friends and become a borderline psychopath. God, the writers screwed this one really important thing up so badly, it's beyond belief.

Episode 8: Wait, are they implying that Yoshimura's wife/girlfriend somehow fed flesh to her unborn child? How does that even work?!

Episode 9: That opening sequence with all the CCG writing out their wills was very effective I thought. It really made you think about the actions of Ghouls towards the end of the episode considering we're supposed to be rooting for them.

Orange-Episode 2

This has been said a lot in this thread of late, but this second episode was a lot better than the first. I think I really liked Naho this week, I really enjoyed seeing her determination and plucking up the courage to give Kakeru that lunch box.
I think the most interesting thing is the bit in the future, where we see that Naho ended up getting with Suwa after Kakeru's death. If Naho and the others do end up saving Kakeru, where does that leave Suwa? Assuming that Naho ends up with Kakeru and not Suwa if Kakeru doesn't die. I think that could make for a real bittersweet ending if they go that route, with Kakeru living but Suwa missing out on love because of it.

Re:Zero-Episode 15

Jesus Christ

Hidamari Sketch x 365 Specials-Episode 1

This might have been one of the funniest episodes of HS. So many great gags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orange episode 1 - interesting start. Definitely going to keep up with this one.
Tales of Zestiria the X episode 1 - wow, Ufotable, you really are amazing. Not sure I'm with this show completely in terms of narrative but I am defnitely stickng with it just because DAT ANIMATION.

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-: Suffer Like Subaru Edition (Japanese audio) - Episode 15
Food Wars' Bizarre Second Plate (Japanese audio) - Episode 2

91 days ep1: Really good, I enjoyed the first episode a lot despite the tragic story. Good designs, interesting story and I'm eager to see more.
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE LOVE ep1: Silly and funny, and mostly about a bunch of boys chatting in baths.
Ange Vierge ep1: A strong contender for most boring anime of the season despite being about a bunch of girls chatting in baths.
Berserk ep2: I was suckered into watching this and although the art style still makes me sad, it has improved a lot thanks to characters with actual dialogue showing up. Or maybe I just think one of them is cool.

Drifters ep1: I watched this at an event and it was brilliant. Really looking forward to its full run and definitely buying it on BD. It's been a while since I read the manga volumes printed in English to date so it all felt fresh again and the character interactions were well done.

R

IncendiaryLemon said:

Episode 7: I'm sorry, but 'to get stronger' is not an acceptable reason to betray all of your friends and become a borderline psychopath. God, the writers screwed this one really important thing up so badly, it's beyond belief.

Hang on a minute, they actually give a reason for that event? I saw the series, and was under the impression they hadn't even tried to justify that, that how's **** a job they did. I'm excited to read the manga, although I hear Viz hasn't reached Root A material yet.

Rui said:
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE LOVE ep1: Silly and funny, and mostly about a bunch of boys chatting in baths.

R

What the hell is this show even about? At first I thought it was a cute girl show, then I was told it was a cute guy show, now they aren't even defending Earth. I feel so misled...

Buzz201 said:
Rui said:

R

What the hell is this show even about? At first I thought it was a cute girl show, then I was told it was a cute guy show, now they aren't even defending Earth. I feel so misled...

Haha, I'm sure that defending the earth will be important later on. It's pretty much a heavily tongue-in-cheek gender-swapped magical girl show which pokes fun at all of the stupid conventions of the genre (disclaimer: I love the genre) and shamelessly panders in a way which pokes fun at all of the usual pandering techniques too. I thought it was funny that it had a similar skin:action ratio to Ange Vierge's first episode, which was sort of soulless and unsubtle in comparison.

If you want to check it out I strongly advise starting with the first season as LOVE! LOVE! is a direct continuation and the super-deep plot won't make sense without the first episodes.

R

Buzz201 said:
I'm excited to read the manga, although I hear Viz hasn't reached Root A material yet.

If it helps the first part is only around 14 volumes. Volume 7 came out recently so we're half-way (Vol. 10 due December).

Rui said:
Berserk ep2: I was suckered into watching this and although the art style still makes me sad, it has improved a lot thanks to characters with actual dialogue showing up. Or maybe I just think one of them is cool.

Drifters ep1: I watched this at an event and it was brilliant. Really looking forward to its full run and definitely buying it on BD. It's been a while since I read the manga volumes printed in English to date so it all felt fresh again and the character interactions were well done.

Imagine what it would be like if Berserk 2016 looked as good as Drifters.

Then cry.

Then cry a lot.

Ep 1 of D.Gray-man Hallow...glad its back but boo to different seiyuu's.
Ep 1 of Handa-kun
Ep 2 of Arslan Senki: Fuujin Ranbu
Ep 2 of The Morose Mononokean
Ep 1 of Hitori no Shita: The Outcast

Buzz201 said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

Hang on a minute, they actually give a reason for that event? I saw the series, and was under the impression they hadn't even tried to justify that, that how's **** a job they did. I'm excited to read the manga, although I hear Viz hasn't reached Root A material yet.

It was just a single line of dialogue, I can't blame you for missing it. It's incredibly shoddy. This is the kind of thing that needs a whole scene dedicated to it, not just one line.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A-Episodes 10-12 (Complete)

Full thoughts here.

Bananya-Episode 2

I really hope introducing all these characters doesn't take away from the plot.

Mob Psycho 100-Episode 1

This had an amazing amount of style and energy; I loved it. Got a fair amount of laughs out of me.

Did anyone else notice Reigen had a Saitama wallpaper on his phone? Pretty neat easter egg.

Hidamari Sketch x 365 Specials-Episode 2

Now I really want Hiro to give me a pep talk!

Tales of Zestiria the X ep 1
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. ep 1
Taboo Tattoo ep 2
Mob Psycho 100 ep 1
Alderamin on the Sky ep 1
Ange Vierge ep 1
Sweetness & Lighting ep 2
Ace Attorney ep 14

Back