Your viewing journal

Watched the 2004 Appleseed movie last night. It was awesome! Whoever told me it looked like a PS2 game (think it was Sy) has very obviously not played very many PS2 games. It looked wonderful. The cel-shaded look helped it avoid the uncanny valley and the water looked absolutely amazing! Can't wait for Ex Machina now! :]

^ You didn't think the movements were awkward and the close ups looked bad at all? I still think they have a very long way to go with that style.

Well personal taste and all that but I thought it was for the most part visually extremely sterile and lifeless.

Sy said:
^ You didn't think the movements were awkward and the close ups looked bad at all? I still think they have a very long way to go with that style.

Not at all. I thought the movements were very fluid, actually; the action sequences were very entertaining indeed! Sure, the people looked inorganic, but the cel-shaded style reminds you that it's not supposed to look entirely realistic so it wasn't that jarring (except, maybe, in the case of Hitomi).

I really enjoyed Appleseed: the story and the visuals :]

Though I've had it for months, I've just finished watching Whisper of the Heart for the first time. What a lovely film. The backgrounds are so beautifully detailed and Disney's English dub is tremendous.

It might be my new favourite Ghibli.

The Melancoli of Haruhi Suzumiya 9 - 14
Gintama - 51
Ookiku Furikabutte - 26
Rental Magica - 22
Bamboo Blade - 22
Rosario +Vampire - 10
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 22 - 23

Spyro201 said:
Hunter X Hunter ep 1

Only had time for one ep :( so hard to tell whether i like it or not. It seems OKAY, but tad cheesey.
It's the best series in SJ [besides One Piece] right now. It gets WAY better. Storyline is great.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Though I've had it for months, I've just finished watching Whisper of the Heart for the first time. What a lovely film. The backgrounds are so beautifully detailed and Disney's English dub is tremendous.

It might be my new favourite Ghibli.

I wouldn't have expected such a reaction for Whisper of the Heart (which is one of the more obscure Ghibli titles) -- I'll definitely have to check it out!

Vandread: The Second Stage 1-4

Huge improvement over the first series: The first episode opened it up with great action, the second was hilarious at times and the third was a very moving character building episode. The forth episode was rather weak in comparison to the first three... I hope the quality isn't going to drop.

Lupus Inu said:
Spyro201 said:
Hunter X Hunter ep 1

Only had time for one ep :( so hard to tell whether i like it or not. It seems OKAY, but tad cheesey.
It's the best series in SJ [besides One Piece] right now. It gets WAY better. Storyline is great.

Though, one wonders whether or not it will ever finish.

I read an interesting hypothesis the other day actually. Apparently the mangaka broke his arm/wrist/whatever sometime ago, and apparently he's redrawn a bit of his previous work from that time, so that person thinks that he might be redrawing all of it from when his arm was broken... No clue as to what the date he broke it arm was though, or what part of the manga this is, or anything to be honest. HunterXHunter fans will probably know...

An arm heals within literally months, Togashi's last gap between chapters [before this one] was like a year and 6 months. I think he was just playing Monster Hunter with Naoko Takeuchi myself. There is never any reason as to why he stopped doing it except he was "sick" and if he died Naoko Takeuchi joked saying she'd carry on the manga for him.

Lupus Inu said:
An arm heals within literally months, Togashi's last gap between chapters [before this one] was like a year and 6 months. I think he was just playing Monster Hunter with Naoko Takeuchi myself. There is never any reason as to why he stopped doing it except he was "sick" and if he died Naoko Takeuchi joked saying she'd carry on the manga for him.
The dude is just lazy. There really is no question about it any more. People still buy it and therefore Weeky JUMP shall always have a gap open for it no matter how sparse the gap between each chapter may be. Naoko Takeuchi doing HxH would be quite something, actually. Magical Girl Shonen FTW.

I find this humourous, Taken of Wiki: "Since the phenomenal success of Hunter × Hunter, several major changes have been made at the offices of Shonen Jump, specifically to accommodate Yoshihiro Togashi. He receives longer vacations and bigger advances than any of Shonen Jump's other mangaka, and this situation has come to be known as "Togashi-ism"."

That basically sums up how little work he actually needs to. Eiichiro deserves some of that Togashiism.

Surely it's just kind of selfish, and rude, not to explain why you're taking a break on something. Y'know... It's not like he'd get a bad reaction or anything.

"Sorry I've not released any HxH chapters recently, I'm still butt hurt over Kishimoto totally stealing a lot of my ideas for Naruto.

Peace ~ Togashi."

... this isn't the best place for this though. >_>

Someone make a general HxH thread.

Lupus Inu said:
"Sorry I've not released any HxH chapters recently, I'm still butt hurt over Kishimoto totally stealing a lot of my ideas for Naruto.

Peace ~ Togashi."

... this isn't the best place for this though. >_>

Someone make a general HxH thread.

Been there done that, nothing new to report. :D

Vandread: The Second Stage 5-7

The second season is still going strong. While it has improved a lot, it's still far from being deep and is episodic... Neither the first or second season are top 10 series.

Back