Poni Poni Dash 1 - 2
The melancholi of Haruhi Suzumiya - 1 - 6
Bleach 1 - 2
Paranoia Agent 1 - 2
Elemental Gelade 1 - 2
Welcome to the NHK 1 - 2
Beck 1 -2
Death Note 1 - 2
Naruto The Lost Mission (waterfall special)
.Hack Roots 1 - 2
Pumpkin Scissors 1 - 2
The Ugly Yet Beautiful World 1 - 2
Bleach 162

Parodies:

Record of Lodub Wars
Roadbusted
Koko Wa Otaku 1 & 2
Magical Princess Pretty Sue Me

I watched Steamboy last night... dubbed. Bwahahahaha.

All sorts of "British" accents, it was hilarious to watch, but at the same time I enjoyed it. I'd also be lying if I said I didn't like the dubbing, wouldn't mind having British dubs, after all, but only in British settings.

Watched the first to episodes of Ouran High School Host Club after my friend begged me to watch it. Gald i did. Very, very funny!

Watched Paprika about 30 minutes ago. Bright, colourful, bizarre, stupid and disappointing... 7/10. I'd rate it quite low due to the 'story' if not for the art/animation and colour making it strangely enjoyable.

I just started watching Tekkonkinkreet. The early impressions are good; it seems to be better than Paprika.

Just finished watching Tekkonkinkreet. While the whole film did feel kinda pointless, with the situation being pretty much the same as when the series started by the end, it was highly enjoyable thanks to stunning visuals and excellent characterization. I'd give it 8/10.

Out of the class of 2006 (I believe they all came out in 2006), The Girl Who Leapt Through Time edges Tekkonkinkreet out thanks to the plot being mostly well explained and the slice of life/time travel parts of the story merging together well. None of them blew me away, and I feel The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is very over-rated on anime fan sites, but they weren't total disappointments.

In truth, I'm starting to hate watching anime films because nearly all of them have a vast amount of unexplained stuff, sometimes the unexplained elements being key points of the story. The few animated films I rate highly don't go for the mindfuck angle/have lazy writing.

Watched two parts of memories: Magnetic Rose and Stink Bomb, started watching Cannon Fodder but I was far too tired to see it through, so I'll finish it off tonight. Both movies were alright, nothing amazing, decent watch though.

Aion said:
Watched Paprika about 30 minutes ago. Bright, colourful, bizarre, stupid and disappointing... 7/10. I'd rate it quite low due to the 'story' if not for the art/animation and colour making it strangely enjoyable.

If you're familiar with Takeshi Murakami's work it might make more sense because I feel that the story was just a framing for that base. It seems to tie in somewhat with his critical analysis of popular and otaku culture but at the same time you get the impression that Kon is more sympathetic than Murakami. It wouldn't be the first time that Kon has done a social commentary piece.

Arbalest said:
Been working my way through Bleach once again, decided the filler arc wasn't really worth watching so watched 110-112.

I actually quite liked the Bount. It took a while to get used to them and i was glad when it ended xD but it was still enjoyable.

I'm unfamiliar with Takeshi Murakami's work: I ordered Paprika on a whim, much like the similar disappointment that was Spirited Away. I need to start watching anime movies before buying them... I've seen enough now to know how bloody bizarre and, in all honesty, average most of 'em are.

I've seen one of Kon's previous efforts; Perfect Blue. That was a also mind **** film, but all did become clear by the end and it had a fairly realistic stalker story. The one thing I've noticed that links them (aside from mind *******) is that both have a rape scene of sorts, Perfect Blue's being much more graphic.

Maltos said:
Aion; have you seen 5 Centimeters Per Second?

It's on my HDD. You've reminded me about it; I'll watch it when I get chance. I enjoyed Shinkai's other 2 movies, so I'll most likely enjoy 5cm also.

Aion said:
Maltos said:
Aion; have you seen 5 Centimeters Per Second?

It's on my HDD. You've reminded me about it; I'll watch it when I get chance. I enjoyed Shinkai's other 2 movies, so I'll most likely enjoy 5cm also.
My favourite Shinkai film, anime and any film~ full stop. Maybe my unsurpassed love for this film is not echoed quite as strongly by others, but i thought i was bloody wonderfull and well worth your time!

Back