Your viewing journal

Last night worked my way through the first two discs of Fafner not normally a giant robot anime fan but this is definatley watchable, up there with Raxaphon and Evangelion in this genre.

Just watched 1-4 of Koi Kaze.

I feel like I've just spent 80 minutes watching something and nothing has happened. There's been the character introductions and we've got to the stage where Koshiro is sniffing his sisters bra/masturbating about her...that's it.

Koi Kaze's story is about two siblings who weren't raised together starting to live together with their father due to Nanoka (the 15 year old girl) moving in to be closer to her new school. The brother and sister feel emotions for each other that are certainly not just brother and sister feelings, resulting in much awkwardness on the part of Koshiro, her 27 year old brother.

The story about incest isn't really disturbing, I'd call it more unusual. They hadn't grew up together and managed to spend a few hours at an amusement park before they discovered they were family, where they discussed how they both had recently had their hearts broken...or, in Koshiro's case, broke up with someone he had no feelings for - It's not too shocking they don't have brotherly/sisterly feelings for each other. The most disturbing aspect of the story is their ages, Koshiro being 27 and Nanoka being 15 (15 is actually legal in Japan).

Koshiro spends most of the first volume hating himself for feeling like he does about his 15 year old sister. He first attempts to be nasty to her when he discovers she's his sister, eventually stopping when his sister reveals the obvious by proving he does care about her, before starting to act more friendly towards her as the volume progresses. The volume ends with Koshiro starting to give in to desires by masturbating about her, followed by him smashing up his room in anger/disgust at himself.

I'm not really sure about the series at the 4/13 mark. It's slooooow, the art/animation isn't amazing, there's no stunning music... Nothing special. The only thing it has going for it right now is the unusual plot.

Koi Kaze is officially the most depressing anime I've ever watched. I went through just about every emotion imaginable when watching, but depression was the main feeling I felt throughout.

I was wrong to judge the show based on the first 4 episodes alone. Koi Kaze is the sort of series that gets better as you get more emotionally involved; when it makes you feel uneasy watching the tragic story unfold. With every minute that passed I felt more and more depressed when watching a situation where there's no true right or wrong and only pain.

While I'm sure many people (correctly) have major issues with incest, the way Koi Kaze is told makes you view it as a tragedy rather than something disgusting. Incest is in no way glorified (the opposite is true), only true love is.

Koshiro (the 27 year old male) felt guilty/disgusted with himself throughout, fighting a battle inside his own head constantly and trying to make himself act 'normal'. Nanaoka (the 15 year old girl), on the other hand, didn't understand her feelings or why her brother acted the way he did towards her at first, slowly coming to terms with her feelings much later than poor Koshiro. Neither person was a villain - It's impossible to feel anything other than pity for the situation they found themselves in.

The ending didn't help cheer me up... I was hoping they would somehow manage the impossible and find a way to get their relationship to work, but the ending seemed to strongly hint they were going to part ways without explanation. It was impossible to get closure from such an open ending.

It was one of the very best series I've watched - I'd rate it somewhere between 9-9.5/10. However, I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch it again... It's enough to send a suicidal person over the edge.

I'm very happy to announce that Bleach is back on form after some 100 episodes of being fail. The animation has been slightly kicked up a notch and some of the better music has arrived again. There is still some flashbacks which really aren't needed, Even if its just happened. It was a great episode and I feel like I did when I was watching the Soul Society episodes.

Finally... I can only hope it can keep up this storytelling. ;D

Working my way through the Fafner discs over the last couple of nights just the last episode left had to go to bed before I feel asleep. So far I think I prefer this to Raxaphon.

Gundam 00 ~ 19 - Very cool series, now. Don't think the Saji-Louise relationship deserved a montage, though - I think they were very obviously portrayed more as friends rather than lovers. Bring on episode 20! ^_^

Back