Wildcard's pics

Page 10

Been an embarassingly long time since I did my last page, but my work FINALLY cleared so here's the next one.

Summer will hopefully allow me to reach an acceptable rate again, really want to finish this story if I can.

Outlawstar said:
Lookin good Wild.......quality getting better and better, keep at it.:)

Thanks a bunch Outlaw, it's great hearing that the gradual improvement shows in the work. Here's a new page anyhow.

Page 11:

I love that top panel on page 11. That's some good terror right there! ;)

I'm not sure the pyramid style page layout works however... leaves a lot of white in one place. One of the hardest things I thought, when I had a short lived attempt at drawing a narrative, was how to set the page out. It drove me nuts.

ayase said:
I love that top panel on page 11. That's some good terror right there! ;)

I'm not sure the pyramid style page layout works however... leaves a lot of white in one place. One of the hardest things I thought, when I had a short lived attempt at drawing a narrative, was how to set the page out. It drove me nuts.

Thanks Ayase. I see your point about the layout, it's not particularly efficient with the page space. Arrangements are generally hit and miss with me, at the moment I'm experimenting with what works and what doesn't. I wanted it to reflect the rising tension here, though I guess it needed to be more subtle.

Anyway, I appreciate the honest criticism I'll keep it in mind next time :)

You did well indicating the tension with the panels themselves though. The narrow mouth closeup worked nicely as the reader may well smile at the same time when they realise what's going to happen.

And you're still doing a lot better than me with layout most of the time. If I ever decide to try again it will be Love & Rockets style 6 to 8 square panels to a page...

I've been leaving this thread for a few weeks to allow you to get a few pages done.

Loving what I see!! I have to agree with Ayase on the top panel of Page 11. That is some good fear right there! Nicely done. I also find it easy to read. I'm impressed as to how you've succeeded in getting the right narrative and converstaions down on paper. That sounds like a wierd thing to say when I read it back... what I mean is that it's not childishly simple or making the characters sound wooded.

I hope I'm making sense coz I feel I'm going on a bit now.

Bottom line is... good job! :thumb: Keep them coming. ;)

Voddas said:
I'm impressed as to how you've succeeded in getting the right narrative and converstaions down on paper. That sounds like a wierd thing to say when I read it back... what I mean is that it's not childishly simple or making the characters sound wooded.

Cheers Voddas, glad it reads well and that the characters don't seem wooden. I constantly fret about the little details: whether it's all cohesive and consistent, whether characters are out of character, whether it's even interesting to others. Still, it's good to hear that the end results work.

ayase said:
You did well indicating the tension with the panels
themselves though. The narrow mouth closeup worked nicely as the reader may well smile at the same time when they realise what's going to happen.

And you're still doing a lot better than me with layout most of the time. If I ever decide to try again it will be Love & Rockets style 6 to 8 square panels to a page...

Thanks for saying, the mouth closeup was probably my pick of the page. Though as always I feel like I need to pull back and get more longshots instead of relying on panels of faces.

Thinking about the layout too, I think I should use my page space more carefully, since professionals are constantly forced to make the most of each page to fit their stories in. Eventually I'll figure out a system that works. You should give yourself more credit anyway: you clearly have a critical eye for details, so if anything I imagine your layouts would be better than mine! Should you try again post it up, I'd be interested to see.

Anyhow, on a general note thanks to everyone who's following my amateurish work - I appreciate the feedback and interest.

Page 13:
A fairly bleak moment this time around I'm afraid. This page took longer than it should of due to some of the background details - I spent more time on them as I wanted to clearly establish the scene change.

I'm still reading, even thought I have not posted here. You're doing a pretty good job so far mate, keep 'em coming!

chaos said:
I'm still reading, even thought I have not posted here. You're doing a pretty good job so far mate, keep 'em coming!

Thanks as always Chaos, and yep I'll keep churning them out whenever I can :)

Here's a new one anyhow-

Page 17:

Keep em comin Wildcard. I may not have been posting but I'm still keeping uptodate. Looking fwrd to seeing where the story is going to take us. Loving some of your frames and art work too matey.
:D:thumb:

Voddas said:
Keep em comin Wildcard. I may not have been posting but I'm still keeping uptodate. Looking fwrd to seeing where the story is going to take us. Loving some of your frames and art work too matey.
:D:thumb:

Cheers Voddas, it's always pleasant to recieve feedback but I understand people have their own things to do. Pleased you're still following and still intrigued.

chaos said:
one thing I noticed is that background art is increaasing in recent pages...

Probably because I've got more free time at the moment to work on them. I try to get them in whenever I can, but often they can drag out work on a page by hours. I like using them as frequently as possible though since they add a stronger sense of setting and context, preventing the story from feeling like it's set in a barren expanse.

Back