Why is this forum so dead?

CitizenGeek said:
there seems to be a general, childish aversion to any form of heated debate (as evidenced by the fact that certain members are still referring to a period many months ago during which I participated in a number of threads on Final Fantasy that became very heated). A lot of members seem to completely freak out whenever anyone dissents strongly or unapologetically. The threads that get the most activity, and that are the most productive and effective are the ones that become heated. The attitude that this kind of discussion (when you don't sugar-coat your disagreements with another poster) is horrific beyond compare is crippling to proper debate and discussion because people become afraid (or in my case, fed up) of the bizarre overreactions arguments get on AUKN. Maybe a change in attitude would also be a good idea?
But is it a childish aversion to heated debate or a mature distaste for needless conflict? Don't get me wrong, I like debating. I love it, but so many "heated debates" on here (and I would stress about anime, the off topic debates always seem healthier for some reason) seem to fast become "My opinion is so obviously right and yours so obviously wrong I'm not even going to offer reasons why or even address your points." which is not a debate. It's a pointless waste of time.

CitizenGeek said:
Oh yeah, and get rid of the Forum Games forum. It's embarrassing.
Yeah, take away the refuge of some of the biggest contributors to the forum who often spend their weekdays in there actually discussing anime with respect for one another's opinions. Stop by the counting thread and visit us sometime.

Kurogane said:
My pants got wet over that.
Oh, and I forgot about you Kurogane. Scratch my intelligent conversation remark. :p

ayase said:
But is it a childish aversion to heated debate or a mature distaste for needless conflict?

If you want to believe that you're so mature and grown up and the mere hint of conflict makes you retch, then perhaps you just - you know - not go into the threads in which all of this "needless conflict" is happening?

Don't get me wrong, I like debating. I love it, but so many "heated debates" on here (and I would stress about anime, the off topic debates always seem healthier for some reason) seem to fast become "My opinion is so obviously right and yours so obviously wrong I'm not even going to offer reasons why or even address your points." which is not a debate. It's a pointless waste of time.

Again, this is totally bizarre. That is an absurd description of how most conflicts pan out on AUKN. The arguments get personal fairly often, but what of it? If you're going to develop a childish, petty hatred for someone over their comments on the internet; then the problem is you, and not the person you're arguing with.

Yeah, take away the refuge of some of the biggest contributors to the forum who often spend their weekdays in there actually discussing anime with respect for one another's opinions. Stop by the counting thread and visit us sometime.

So, I'm guessing you missed the actual anime and manga forums? I think the purpose of those is to "actually discuss anime". The Forum Games forum is counter productive and pointless. It should go. Along with many other un-needed forums on AUKN.

CitizenGeek said:
If you want to believe that you're so mature and grown up and the mere hint of conflict makes you retch, then perhaps you just - you know - not go into the threads in which all of this "needless conflict" is happening?
Feel free to just ignore what I said about enjoying healthy debate (despite the fact that you then quoted and replied to it in your second point - not to mention the fact that you know I like to debate as per my exchanges with Chom in your own Abortion thread) and paint me as a cowardly pacifist. What I said, and will say again is that shouting "I am right you are wrong" without reason is not debating, and doesn't interest me. I do stay clear of threads like that now that I can recognise them better. I would surmise others do likewise, which is part of the "dead forum" problem - or at least why the Anime & Manga forums are quieter, hence what I said about talking in the games section.

CitizenGeek said:
Again, this is totally bizarre. That is an absurd description of how most conflicts pan out on AUKN. The arguments get personal fairly often, but what of it? If you're going to develop a childish, petty hatred for someone over their comments on the internet; then the problem is you, and not the person you're arguing with.
So I shoudn't get personal but I shouldn't mind if others choose to get personal with me? Carry on insulting me then as the "bizarre" and "absurd" individual I obviously am...

And yes, that is how most Anime conflicts pan out. I have had several good discussions, debates and even disagreements on here (Chom and Kupoartist being two people who I can have a relatively civilised debate with) but the conflicts are indeed often childish, petty and hate filled - you seem to enjoy them though, but I won't call for the abolition of the Anime & Manga forums, as unlike you I wouldn't want to deprive other members of this forum of doing whatever it is they enjoy.

CitizenGeek said:
So, I'm guessing you missed the actual anime and manga forums? I think the purpose of those is to "actually discuss anime". The Forum Games forum is counter productive and pointless. It should go. Along with many other un-needed forums on AUKN.
You don't like AUKN the way it is? Well you know what, I do, so it's a good job you're not the one in charge here. I've never had a problem with you before now either CG, I thought you overreacted a little to things but I'm beginning to see why you've aquired your reputation. Well done for helping illustrate my point about needless arguments, you've managed to goad me into one specially for the occasion.

However, here's where it ends. I'll come back and look at this thread but will no longer reply to it. I'll go spam the games forum instead.

Random Games Banzai! :thumb:

If you're not going to reply, there's no point in responding. It was not I that painted you as a cowardly pacifist, you seem to have done that yourself rather nicely in the above post ;]

Rui said:
We didn't say you were wrong. Though if you want to start a morality of fansubs topic I guarantee it will get millions of posts and become a massive flaming battleground within 24 hours until everyone is banned and it gets deleted...that seems to be how these things go.

But I don't personally watch them and won't. So if people talk about them I have nothing to say - it's easier to talk about something old we already watched than talk about something we haven't and don't know too much about yet!

R

Roy, your maths is far inferior to mine. I doubt a thread about the rights and wrongs of fansubs would get over 50 posts on AUKN, let alone a zillion. This forum has far too few posters for a decent discussion to come out out of a thread like that - the only way it would keep going would be for an opinionated, hypocritical, condescending prick to enter and argue with another poster who refuses to back down. In short, the thread would either die or turn out rubbish.

Talking of hypocrites, this has reminded me of something. I have no real problem with either those who download fansubs or those who chose not to. However, people who think they can download fansubs AND have the moral high ground piss me off. There was this one guy on another forum, an Irish fella, and he actually believed he could download fansubs of certain series and still attack fansub downloaders simply because he was selective (I believe he was watching Code Geass and Gundam 00). This guy refused to back down or even attempt to apologize, instead deciding to act like a child who wouldn't accept being wrong, and his childish actions ultimately resulted in us hating each other.

-----------

With regards to what an above poster mentioned about thread quality, I completely agree - this forum lacks creative minds. Also, the heinous actions and vulgarity on show is beyond belief; it leaves me shocked at times.

I do have to question the links that poster selected as examples, though. Two of the threads linked to were question topics; they clearly weren't created with the intention of starting 10 page typing contests. I'm at a loss as to why that person tried to support his argument by linking to topics that have nothing to do with the point he was attempting to make... Could it be possible that he happens to have some kind of grudge against the topic creator?

As for the other two threads linked to, if similar threads have been created then it would seem they are old threads. And, on a forum where most members haven't watched too much anime compared to certain other individuals, surely it's better to make topics you know that every poster can post in without needing to be a more experienced fan? More in-depth discussions have there place, certainly, but it isn't wise to create topics that the majority have no interest in.

One last topic point: I'm rather surprised the person mentioned previously was critical of another posters creativity when he doesn't seem to have attempted to create any interesting topics of his own to help a forum so lacking his intelligence. The only time I've actually seen him posting more than once or twice here of late was, rather surprisingly, in a thread about an older series called Evangelion, which turned into an argument for some odd reason.

Lupus Inu said:
So why isn't this topic dead yet?
Because a select few people here like to flail their e-peens around.

Speaking of which...

*unzips and flails*
Aion said:
The only time I've actually seen him posting more than once or twice here of late was, rather surprisingly, in a thread about an older series called Evangelion, which turned into an argument for some odd reason.
That is indeed, surprising.

Aion said:
This guy refused to back down or even attempt to apologize, instead deciding to act like a child who wouldn't accept being wrong, and his childish actions ultimately resulted in us hating each other.

Hah, I don't hate you. I honestly don't care anywhere near enough about you to "hate" you. If you "hate" me, then I think you probably have too much time on your hands (and the level of inane threads you routinely create would also seem to back up my hypothesis).

I would also like to remind you that you earlier said you wouldn't be baited by my taunts (something about you being too clever or something) and now you've gone on to post 5 sizeable paragraphs centring entirely on me. I guess that makes you a hypocrite, too, huh? :]

Since you'd already attacked Ayase, turning the thread into yet another trademark The Geek argument, I saw no reason not to indirectly play with you some more. You're too amusing not to attack in every other post - I didn't even need to do much; you started arguing with someone else over nothing, adding further weight to my theory that no-one can stand you once they see your true wonderful self.

Hate might be a bit too strong as I've never truly hated anyone. It'd be more accurate to say that I simply dislike you the most out of all the twats I've ran into on my internet travels over the last 6-7 years.

As I don't want to upset you too much and my poor thread has already been dragged off-topic by your heinous actions, I'll leave you in peace until the next time you wish to show your overly argumentative personality.

Was the term "Love thy neighbour" mentioned in a World War or something? 'Cuz it seems like everyone was more concentrated on the fighting rather than the speech. XD

Hmm, if I recall correctly; I'm not the person of us two that was banned from AUKN for being "overly argumentative". That was actually you. I'm not detested on Eurogamer, and I wasn't banned from there twice because of how much the other members complained about me. Again, that was you. And I don't target a specific member for ridicule and insulting in almost every second posting I make. I think - again - that's you. Oh, and I'm fairly certain I am disliked on AUKN; but you're fooling only yourself if you think you're admired on here. You're not ;]

ayase said:
I've never had a problem with you before now either CG, I thought you overreacted a little to things but I'm beginning to see why you've aquired your reputation. Well done for helping illustrate my point about needless arguments, you've managed to goad me into one specially for the occasion.

Just ftr, this is exactly what I was talking about. An argument can't be a simple argument on AUKN, it has to degenerate into needless personal attacks like this. For crying out loud, grow a pair, ayase. I was arguing with your points, I wasn't trying to upset you or make you dislike me. AUKN is, in general, far too sensitive, but you, my friend, take the cake when it comes to bizarre, overtly emotional responses to a mere debate.

________ says:

CG and Aion are very similar.

_______ says:

And use incredibly long posts where tl;dr versions would be appreciated.

Name removed to protect the innocent.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t7wJ8pE2qKU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t7wJ8pE2qKU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DissidiaSephiroth.jpg

"You think you can beat me... CitizenGeek? Pitiful."

DissidiaCloud.jpg

"I know I can, I hold the light within me to do so, Aion."

Lupus Inu said:
________ says:

CG and Aion are very similar.

_______ says:

And use incredibly long posts where tl;dr versions would be appreciated.

Name removed to protect the innocent.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t7wJ8pE2qKU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t7wJ8pE2qKU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DissidiaSephiroth.jpg

"You think you can beat me... CitizenGeek? Pitiful."

DissidiaCloud.jpg

"I know I can, I hold the light within me to do so, Aion."
This thread:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xwBK31tC5QM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xwBK31tC5QM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

...Look like a few people were right. Why have a brain and act civilized, when you can throw out absurd trash and hope it 'hurt' someone. Citizengeek and Aion are 'really' as bad as each other.

But Aion provoked Citizengeek with his needless comments, just to get a reaction from him. Though CG replied once and just left the topic alone. It's been a while since CG went into egotistical mode and argued with Aion.

Aion... Why do you need to do that? Like I said earlier, just troll him around when HE ***** UP. That way, he deserves it. But for the past few weeks, he actually ignored your comments. Do you really need to be a moron and start this up again?

CitizenGeek said:
Hmm, if I recall correctly; I'm not the person of us two that was banned from AUKN for being "overly argumentative".

Stop being a hypocrite, Citizengeek. You have been banned from countless forums for being overarguementive and even 'insult' the admins. Actually, I say countless, but it was 2 forums from as far as I know.

Don't accuse and degrade someone down when they 'get' banned. You have been banned for worse things.

I have nothing personal against you. But being a hypocrite isn't one of your traits.

Wow, this thread sure went downhill fast. Cue me running a mile, this personal stuff is way too heated now.

R

Oh just to add... about the forum.

This reminds me of a guy on a KH forum I visit. Saying we should get rid of the personal, general and anything non-KH. Well according to Citizengeek.

But I'll be honest. If it was just anime discussion, at some point, I will hate anime. We need a bit of everything, even the forum games.

Just because 'you' don't like it, Citizengeek, doesn't mean everyone will not like it as well. Even the site-owners or admins hate have some sections, but still add it because of 'request'. Yes, they should disable the post count in the forum game section, but big whoop. Post count is nothing... Its there for people to have fun and release all the stress.

But hey, if you don't like the forum, you can gtfo? Right? And make your own forum. I'm sure you'll get a lot of joiners who appreciate your character and sense of justice ;)

Chrono Mizaki said:
Yes, they should disable the post count in the forum game section, but big whoop. Post count is nothing... Its there for people to have fun and release all the stress.

i agree with everything after "but"
if anyones actually bothered to take a look in there in recent light (yes about 4 months) there's more to the post counting thread. we don't just put down numbers...we talk, its ourown part of the forum that we can talk to each other off topics without someone coming in all guns blazing and complaining that its off topic. a place we can talk about anything we want and not many people actually take the time to post in it...only certain members are regulars in that thread, and its more than just a thread...its a way of beating off all the boredom we endure at work or college (home in 1 members case) so leave us be.....*retreats to thread for safety*

Back