Why is this forum so dead?

This thread won't turn into me vs. The Geek thread for one reason: I'm not daft enough to fall for the same sort provocation The Geek does time and time again. :D

The main problem with this forum is that, out of the few active members, not many people bother to talk about anime. For some weird reason, most people like to just post rubbish in the random chat section or play tedious forum posting games, such as 'Count to a million'. It's a strange situation for an anime forum to find itself in.

The other issue is the amount of (putting it bluntly) idiots who can't string a sentence together properly. It's hard for a forum to attract members when there are so few people worth having typing contests with. I suppose it isn't too surprising when the vast majority of anime fans are under 20 and the world has far more idiots than it does geniuses (such as myself)...

The final issue has already been highlighted: There are too many separate forums. Anime news, general anime and anime views should all be one - there's no reason for them to not to be. All keeping everything separate does is make navigating the forum more troublesome than it should be.

If I'm being honest, the only solution to this forum crisis I can see is for me to be promoted to admin. :(

On the anime part: If the anime isn't mainstream no one really talks about it. I could go make a thread on the works of Hitoshi Iwaaki, guess how many replies I'd get? Lucky if I got four. Make a Ken Akamatsu or EVA thread? Replies by the DOZENS. Which is also a common thing with the gaming section, RPG topics are ignored unless it has "Final" and "Fantasy" attached.

Also, you want the idiots gone? Make me moderator. Start a petition, and I will make it a reality, I promise if you support me, you will never be betrayed.

Lupus Inu said:
On the anime part: If the anime isn't mainstream no one really talks about it. I could go make a thread on the works of Hitoshi Iwaaki, guess how many replies I'd get? Lucky if I got four. Make a Ken Akamatsu or EVA thread? Replies by the DOZENS. Which is also a common thing with the gaming section, RPG topics are ignored unless it has "Final" and "Fantasy" attached.

Also, you want the idiots gone? Make me moderator. Start a petition, and I will make it a reality, I promise if you support me, you will never be betrayed.

i think if u god mod lupis, people would of left before you could ban em ;)

Ryo Chan said:
Lupus Inu said:

i think if u god mod lupis, people would of left before you could ban em ;)

No questions....bow down to your greasy master ;)

Now I've put my thinking cap on and in a rather sincere mood I can honestly say I don't want any of you gone, you're all wonderful people and the past three years on these forums has been a delight talking [down? lol] to you all! But some of you -really- do need to improve, most of the you spam the hell out of forum games, I acknowledge they're there for fun but some of you get so carried away, honestly.

This forum is probably the biggest UK anime source, and we have a lot of lurkers but not many join, and when most do they don't stick around, though people have made accounts and one day they may find a reason to use them. Also, I demand you bring back members from back when I was a newcomer here, they were all great people but since I never really knew them I can't say why they left.

Alright, positive time is over, get back to work!

tl;dr? I love [hate] you all and this forum has potential limitless forum activity but it hasn't been activated yet.

My posts here recently have been about more general things, since I'm going through an anime interest drought anyway. Only series I've watched in the last year has been Gundam 00, which despite being surely a point of interest (upcoming US TV debut, possible revivial of the franchise in the West) hasn't really seen much discussion. Even if it was, the UK anime scene is so... all over the place. You've got positive reviews on the front page of series I saw and hated four years ago, whilst everybody has interests in different genres and is watching questionably legal fansubs of stuff I still haven't heard of (case in point: the recent character battles where I know all of 1/50th of the characters, and usually dislike them anyway :p).

That and the petty in-fighting. Every other forum I go to has problems with people jumping on newbies for asking frequently asked questions and the like. Here, there just seem to be established mud-slinging tournaments between certain long-term members, or on certain topics (First and second rule of AUK Club: don't mention Final Fantasy. Or mention only certain bits of it to certain people), and I can never even remember who I'm supposed to be moody to. Because Neptune2Venus hasn't been seen in years and ghibli hate is more widespread :p

Maturity in forum membership is never something I've come to expect, it just seems that AUK is some dark outpost of fandom where immaturity is actually malicious. Then you get members being guarded and offended at every blatantly sarcastic remark you make, because they're always on edge. Forums shouldn't make you paranoid.

edit: Also... 'Forum Games'? I'm only vaguely aware that they exist. They're not a problem to me because I don't 'play' them.

edit 2: Oh, and I forgot the biggest problem. Whoever it is who gets a stick up their butt over 'duplicate threads' (You know who you are, I don't.) when someone refuses to trawl through four years of threads to check that someone didn't create a discussion on their chosen topic several months or even years ago. Congratulations on your encyclopedic knowledge of animeuknews history, but please give the forum a chance to breathe.

kupoartist said:
My posts here recently have been about more general things, since I'm going through an anime interest drought anyway. Only series I've watched in the last year has been Gundam 00, which despite being surely a point of interest (upcoming US TV debut, possible revivial of the franchise in the West) hasn't really seen much discussion. Even if it was, the UK anime scene is so... all over the place. You've got positive reviews on the front page of series I saw and hated four years ago, whilst everybody has interests in different genres and is watching questionably legal fansubs of stuff I still haven't heard of (case in point: the recent character battles where I know all of 1/50th of the characters, and usually dislike them anyway :p).

That and the petty in-fighting. Every other forum I go to has problems with people jumping on newbies for asking frequently asked questions and the like. Here, there just seem to be established mud-slinging tournaments between certain long-term members, or on certain topics (First and second rule of AUK Club: don't mention Final Fantasy. Or mention only certain bits of it to certain people), and I can never even remember who I'm supposed to be moody to. Because Neptune2Venus hasn't been seen in years and ghibli hate is more widespread :p

Maturity in forum membership is never something I've come to expect, it just seems that AUK is some dark outpost of fandom where immaturity is actually malicious. Then you get members being guarded and offended at every blatantly sarcastic remark you make, because they're always on edge. Forums shouldn't make you paranoid.

edit: Also... 'Forum Games'? I'm only vaguely aware that they exist. They're not a problem to me because I don't 'play' them.

edit 2: Oh, and I forgot the biggest problem. Whoever it is who gets a stick up their butt over 'duplicate threads' (You know who you are, I don't.) when someone refuses to trawl through four years of threads to check that someone didn't create a discussion on their chosen topic several months or even years ago. Congratulations on your encyclopedic knowledge of animeuknews history, but please give the forum a chance to breathe.

I agree with this.

Personally i find AUKN a fairly decent place, alot quieter than it was when i first joined and were not sure what the cause is. but all of us talking about it is good coz atleast weve noticed somethings wrong.
there's uptight people in every community whether online or not, and at first you get some new members (yes i'm talking about myself too) who made a fairly awkward impact when first arrived (thinking back to the Tachi Vs CG bouts) but people become more laid back through time, and thats what we need to do. stop being so uptight and aggressive, the worlds got enough jerks who make up the PC Brigade so just take it easy (you know who you are who get arsey over little things)

Well here's my two pence worth.

For me finding the time to get on here is more of a struggle for some reason at the moment. So I am on less do a bit of a hit and run, try to workout what the latest argument is about and who is pissed at who and decide not to get involved.

Now for actual content, if does seem new threads are added and some even get talked about, but again for me as I do not download fansubs or read scans I can’t join in. When at a later date I have seen or read things through legal methods and I am ready to talk, nobody else is as they have already moved on.

Then again I really don’t get that anal about having to see or read everything by a director of mangaka, for me the test of anything is did I find it entertaining enough to tell somebody else to give it a go.

As with many A&M forums I do find it staggering how little A&M is discussed whilst random threads seem to go on for ever. For active posters the A&M sections of ANUK are actually doing quite well compared to Animeleague which is as far as I can tell a pretty large international site, but has relatively few posters in A&M.

There are a few overly negative and opinionated forum goers (not naming names and maybe not who you think) to whose heads I would like to apply the heavy blunt force of can it, as I feel too much negativity and in fighting is possibly scarring off new people that may have had a good voice, or brought new ideas.

On a final bit CitizenGeek seems to be appearing in many peoples posts, however I have no problem with the guy. Sometimes I find him opinionated and reluctant to step down once he has started in a direction, but then that’s how people of conviction work if everybody just gave up it would be pretty boring really. Also he does really seem to have a passion for some A&M.

Dracos said:
Now for actual content, if does seem new threads are added and some even get talked about, but again for me as I do not download fansubs or read scans I can’t join in. When at a later date I have seen or read things through legal methods and I am ready to talk, nobody else is as they have already moved on.

This is the clincher for me too. Next time I get something on release in the UK (possibly Wolf's Rain box set if I manage to pick one up tomorrow with my voucher...) I will start a thread about it. The review threads seem to do quite well for this reason too.

R

Rui said:
Dracos said:

This is the clincher for me too. Next time I get something on release in the UK (possibly Wolf's Rain box set if I manage to pick one up tomorrow with my voucher...) I will start a thread about it. The review threads seem to do quite well for this reason too.

R

Now that would give me a reason to go back and watch it again so I could converse politely about it, even if my opinion was different from others in the thread.

Immature, immoral youngsers who have no issues downloading anime and oldies who think they have the moral high ground. I wonder, is it the person who is inflexible who is right?

'Tis too bad bad some people can't just think of fansubs as a free rental service. As long fansub watchers actually buy anime then I see no issue with watching fansubs. Some animation studios are already starting to give up, decided to stream their own new shows instead of battling against groups releasing their shows.

We didn't say you were wrong. Though if you want to start a morality of fansubs topic I guarantee it will get millions of posts and become a massive flaming battleground within 24 hours until everyone is banned and it gets deleted...that seems to be how these things go.

But I don't personally watch them and won't. So if people talk about them I have nothing to say - it's easier to talk about something old we already watched than talk about something we haven't and don't know too much about yet!

R

Rui said:
We didn't say you were wrong. Though if you want to start a morality of fansubs topic I guarantee it will get millions of posts and become a massive flaming battleground within 24 hours until everyone is banned and it gets deleted...that seems to be how these things go.

But I don't personally watch them and won't. So if people talk about them I have nothing to say - it's easier to talk about something old we already watched than talk about something we haven't and don't know too much about yet!

R

yes but we get a new version of the same topic atleast once every 6 months anyway :D

OP: Because I haven't been around, obviously. ;)

Some people have talked about imature posting, but I think AUKN is a bastion of intellegent conversation compared to some anime boards out there. At least there isn't a single person here who's only posts are insults against other members. That said, we do seem to get a disproportionate amount of trolling for the size of the forum which could do to be shut down early to avoid things getting ugly (girlfriend thread, D*ath N*te H*lder).

I think it's quiet because it's a UK leaning board, but that's also the reason I like it. I don't have to deal with any annoying, insolent 12 year old yank kids having flame wars over their preferance of Naruto characters.

To sum up, yeah it's pretty dead - but it could be far, far worse.

I think, perhaps, we are exaggerating how "dead" the forum is. If one post an interesting thread, then you're guaranteed to get replies and you'll usually get a good, provocative discussion or debate going. Maybe we just need better threads, rather than rehashes of over-done topics and basic, inane subjects (for examples, see here, here, here and here).

Also, there seems to be a general, childish aversion to any form of heated debate (as evidenced by the fact that certain members are still referring to a period many months ago during which I participated in a number of threads on Final Fantasy that became very heated). A lot of members seem to completely freak out whenever anyone dissents strongly or unapologetically. The threads that get the most activity, and that are the most productive and effective are the ones that become heated. The attitude that this kind of discussion (when you don't sugar-coat your disagreements with another poster) is horrific beyond compare is crippling to proper debate and discussion because people become afraid (or in my case, fed up) of the bizarre overreactions arguments get on AUKN. Maybe a change in attitude would also be a good idea?

Oh yeah, and get rid of the Forum Games forum. It's embarrassing.

If you look back at the forum about 3 years ago you pretty much see how each thread ends up, someone makes a thread with their opinion everyone else somewhat agrees everyone moves on.

Back