Why is Neon Genesis Evangelion so darn popular?

Wildcard said:
There was an Animatic (is that the right word?) in the special features for the final episodes - I was surprised how much of the animation used in EoE was complete in this. Most of the key scenes such as Asuka's fight were almost finished. It does seem as though the original ending would have gone ahead had it not been for the networks intervention.

I was fairly shocked at how closely the animatic resembled Asuka's fight in EoE, too. In a way, I'm kind of glad that TV Tokyo freaked out over episode 24 and stopped Anno from making the ending he had planned, because otherwise we wouldn't have gotten End of Evangelion (which is my all-time favourite movie!).

Maxon said:
CG, some people like EVA, and some people don't, The sooner you accept that, the better. Stop telling everyone they're wrong (and don't pretend you aren't or try to feign ignorance because you do that far too often to be sincere).

I don't know why do-gooders like yourself feel the unrestrained need to point out that some people like Eva and others do not (erm ... d'uh?) as if you're making some kind of new point. If disagreements upset you so terribly, why not just stay out of this thread?

skikes said:
i personnally think the eva dub is one of the best out... altho i admit, it took a good few eps before the characters find their feet, probs most noticable with misato :/

Are you deaf?? Cause its a frickin horrible dub.

Spyro201 said:
skikes said:
i personnally think the eva dub is one of the best out... altho i admit, it took a good few eps before the characters find their feet, probs most noticable with misato :/

i dunno, maybe its becus i watched it so young and i'm just used to it, but really if you've the end of eva dub i really dont think u can find fault with it.

skikes said:
Spyro201 said:
skikes said:

i dunno, maybe its becus i watched it so young and i'm just used to it, but really if you've the end of eva dub i really dont think u can find fault with it.

I found the main guys voice so freakin annoying, and the main chick wasnt much better. (Sorry; if forgot thier names)

I like the EVA dub too, it's just that all these sub purists hate anything which was dubbed in their own initial language, but because it's foreign is sounds OH SO BETTERU and cool. ^_____^

Also on a serious note before X member starts complaining Evangelion is alright, fine, good, I enjoyed it, I don't like it for this apparent superficial complex deepness with Ark and CitizenGeek go on about. Also, if people don't like Evangelion accept it, god damn unless of course they haven't even seen it.

Spyro201 said:
I found the main guys voice so freakin annoying, and the main chick wasnt much better. (Sorry; if forgot thier names)

You obviously know so much about Evangelion. So much that you can justify making grand sweeping declarations like the entire Eva dub was "frickin horrible".

:roll:

CitizenGeek said:
Spyro201 said:

You obviously know so much about Evangelion. So much that you can justify making grand sweeping declarations like the entire Eva dub was "frickin horrible".

I said "Freakin'" not "Frickin".

Also I confess to not knowing much. It seemed an enjoyable series but the voices I found annoying. It was only really the 2 I mentioned, the rest werent so bad but the main guy (Shinji?) has a really REALLY annoying voice.

Spyro201 said:
CitizenGeek said:
Spyro201 said:

Also I confess to not knowing much. It seemed an enjoyable series but the voices I found annoying. It was only really the 2 I mentioned, the rest werent so bad but the main guy (Shinji?) has a really REALLY annoying voice.

Actually Sypro you did say "Frickin" a while back, which i think CG was refering to, anyway, the dub takes a while to get used to but now i can't imagine anyone other then spike spencer in that role, you just have to watch more :wink: Actually he does that kind of character well. Personally i quite liked the dub, everyone did their parts well, and after watching it all the way through none of them seemed out of place unlike other anime where the voices don't match at all (case in point Gundam Seed's Lacus)

BlackWolf said:
Spyro201 said:
CitizenGeek said:
Spyro201 said:

Actually Sypro you did say "Frickin" a while back, which i think CG was refering to,

Look at the quote. He quoted me saying "Freakin" end of.

And all the same; I dont need to know alot about the series to have my opinion on the voice acting.

Ark said:
Lupus Inu said:
superficial complex deepness

Didn't know something could be superficial and complex.
You learn something new every day. Like you apparently notice new things in EVA each time you watch it.

EDIT: Also in the Japanese version if my son had a voice as deep as Shinji's [deeper than Gendou's] I'd generally be concerned and take him to see a doctor right away.

Spyro201 said:
BlackWolf said:
Spyro201 said:
CitizenGeek said:
Spyro201 said:

Actually Sypro you did say "Frickin" a while back, which i think CG was refering to,

And all the same; I dont need to know alot about the series to have my opinion on the voice acting.

thats the stupidest thing i ever heard :?

skikes said:

thats the stupidest thing i ever heard :?[/quote]

Why? Sure I dont know all the indepth philosiphy etc. of the series but all I need is my ears to decide if I like the dub surely?? I didnt say anything about the animation, what the show tries to portray, what the show is about, or anything like that. As far as I can see il enjoy it; but I wont like the voice actors. Shinji sounds like a twat and so does the chick (whos name I cant think of right now). The others are OKAY but nothing special.

Spyro201 said:
skikes said:

Why? Sure I dont know all the indepth philosiphy etc. of the series but all I need is my ears to decide if I like the dub surely?? I didnt say anything about the animation, what the show tries to portray, what the show is about, or anything like that. As far as I can see il enjoy it; but I wont like the voice actors. Shinji sounds like a twat and so does the chick (whos name I cant think of right now). The others are OKAY but nothing special.

no... its stupid because ofcourse u need to know about the series have a proper opinion on the actor or you cant understand what they're trying to portray.

skikes said:
no... its stupid because ofcourse u need to know about the series have a proper opinion on the actor or you cant understand what they're trying to portray.

No you dont. I can see what your saying but its still pretty stupid. I dont like the dub because his voice annoys me and so does Misato's. I dont care what hes trying to portray, as far as im concerned he can portray it in a less irritating way. As I said its not the WORST dub; its only really those 2 characters. The worst dub had to be the original Hellsing for me with the dodgy upper class english accent kinda thing.

skikes said:
Spyro201 said:
What?! Are you dense? Are you retarded or something?! I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN! You dont need to know anything about a series to know whether the dub is good. I've dont know the birth dates of the members of Take That, but i still think they sound like shite. Its ridiculous to assume just because you understand the characters, that their voices are gonna sound any better.

skikes defending NGE, supporting CG's view, proves that NGE isn't that good.

In all seriousness, why even bother talking/arguing about this? It's daft. Fanboys will never have anything said against what they like and anti-fanboy people will argue with fanboys because they get annoyed with them; it's an endless circle. Just agree to disagree.

As I said before, I like NGE, I just don't feel it's worthy of all the praise it gets simply due to it having an incomprehensible ending that the fans view to be deep as a result of how badly the events were explained. A great character driven series, yes, but the heart of the story didn't get revealed until the end and when it did not a lot actually made a great deal of sense.

I'll have to re-watch it one of these days. I have Vol. 4-7 of the R1 platinum releases - I got them off eBay from a seller who was getting rid of a huge amount of stock he'd got from UK import store closure. I wasn't able to get Vol. 1-3 and now it's a pain in the **** to complete my R1 collection. :/

Back