Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers)

Re: Anime Online Retailers

Just Passing Through said:
So who's going to stick with Amazon Prime, now that it's going up £30 a year, and you get what used to be Lovefilm, whether you want it or not?
I didn't want Prime before (Super Saver delivery and a free 1 month trial of Prime every year FTW) but this has actually made me slightly interested. At least for one year, while I can get it for £49.

Is there a list of the programmes on Prime Instant Video anywhere? It seems kinda obvious you'd want to see what you were buying before paying for it, but I can't find one anywhere on Amazon.

Just Passing Through said:
So who's going to stick with Amazon Prime, now that it's going up £30 a year, and you get what used to be Lovefilm, whether you want it or not?
See, I ran AP (Dropped it, not really buying enough to make it worth it) and LoveFilm for it's DVD selection, not it's streaming (which is kinda putz). If that made the DVD service £30pa then I'd go for it but as it stands I'm still dropping AP

The folks behind DVDWorldUSA have set up another website for US BD/DVD imports, DVDExpress247. The difference here is that the shipping is slower, but as a result it's free. The prices are pretty good. I haven't used them yet, but DVDWorldUSA were fine for me so this could be worth a shot.

Ath said:
The folks behind DVDWorldUSA have set up another website for US BD/DVD imports, DVDExpress247. The difference here is that the shipping is slower, but as a result it's free. The prices are pretty good. I haven't used them yet, but DVDWorldUSA were fine for me so this could be worth a shot.
They're not actually that bad...
Looking through their items I did notice that they've got the Third Berserk film listed as Multi Region too...

Ah, that's the one thing to be careful of. A lot of the time, when they mark something as multi-region, it's a guess. PlanetAxel/AxelMusic used to do the same thing, so I'd exercise caution. Unless you have a multi-region player. Then you have no worries.

...I really hope my Technika doesn't break down any time soon

Ath said:

I'm quite new to importing anime, hope you don't mind me asking if i order from DVDWorldUSA or their new site DVDExpress247 would i get import charges on items over £15?

Cheers

DragonBlaze67 said:
Ath said:

I'm quite new to importing anime, hope you don't mind me asking if i order from DVDWorldUSA or their new site DVDExpress247 would i get import charges on items over £15?

Cheers
What are you planning on importing?

No charges, they're customs friendly. They bulk ship orders from Florida to their UK warehouse.

They remind me of PlanetAxel before they went bust. No worries about import charges makes them a very tempting choice going forward. A good competitor for UP1 for my business it seems.

Morbo86 said:
They remind me of PlanetAxel before they went bust. No worries about import charges makes them a very tempting choice going forward. A good competitor for UP1 for my business it seems.

I hope so cause one thing I don tlike about UP1, is that, to me, it seems that their r1 stuff never drops price at all... just 1 or 2 in some occasions...

Does anyone know how Anime Online are for shipping?

I ordered Watamote 2 from them on 1/3/14 and there's still no sign of it. I don't know if this is because it's out of stock (because the item listing doesn't seem to say if it's in stock or not) or if they've just...like...forgotten about it or something.

They ask you leave 28 days before chasing them, so I will...but it seems a long wait for something that I think should be pretty readily available.

Yep, it got shipped today! Oh well, at least I know to maybe expect a bit of a wait from them in the future!

Anyway, I'd rather wait for a month than have to deal with UP1's horrible customer service.

After spending loads with them in the past eight years, I asked them to cancel one of the three pending orders I had. I still wanted the other two orders, I'd just changed my mind about the third one.

Keep in mind, I'd used them to buy every season/movie of DB/DBZ/GT (and was working my way through the BDs), every season of One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon season sets, loads of Pokémon seasons, numerous models, loads of manga...I must have spent a few thousand with them since 2006.

They point blank refused to cancel my order. No "hi" at the start of the email, no name at the end so I knew who was sticking two fingers up at me...they really may as well have just say "lol gtfo".

I gently reminded them that it is my right as the customer to cancel my order - I was really polite...I work in customer service and I hate it when people are snotty.

Anonymous Email Person really didn't like that and went into a little passive-aggressive huff (with terrible grammar and the occasional random change in font size/colour), telling me they would no longer accept any pre-orders from me. Fine...after the way their representative spoke to me in those emails, they can sod off. I wouldn't order anything else from them if you paid me.

I've always spoken highly of UP1 on here (search my posts, I loved them), but they're obviously doing so well that they can afford to lose their customers. Pathetic.

lelouchnarukami said:
The one thing I'm wondering... is if the Nisekoi Japanese Release is English-Subtitled or not?

It's not unfortunately but considering it's Aniplex they'll release the series sometime early next week or maybe even the end of the year in the US (SxS gained a DVD release 10 months after it first aired).

Aaron said:
Yep, it got shipped today! Oh well, at least I know to maybe expect a bit of a wait from them in the future!

Anyway, I'd rather wait for a month than have to deal with UP1's horrible customer service.

After spending loads with them in the past eight years, I asked them to cancel one of the three pending orders I had. I still wanted the other two orders, I'd just changed my mind about the third one.

Keep in mind, I'd used them to buy every season/movie of DB/DBZ/GT (and was working my way through the BDs), every season of One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon season sets, loads of Pokémon seasons, numerous models, loads of manga...I must have spent a few thousand with them since 2006.

They point blank refused to cancel my order. No "hi" at the start of the email, no name at the end so I knew who was sticking two fingers up at me...they really may as well have just say "lol gtfo".

I gently reminded them that it is my right as the customer to cancel my order - I was really polite...I work in customer service and I hate it when people are snotty.

Anonymous Email Person really didn't like that and went into a little passive-aggressive huff (with terrible grammar and the occasional random change in font size/colour), telling me they would no longer accept any pre-orders from me. Fine...after the way their representative spoke to me in those emails, they can sod off. I wouldn't order anything else from them if you paid me.

I've always spoken highly of UP1 on here (search my posts, I loved them), but they're obviously doing so well that they can afford to lose their customers. Pathetic.

That's a bit disappointing, I've had to contact them a few times about various things but never had any problems. None of my responses have had a name attached to either, which on refection is not really good service.

I've only had to cancel a few things before and I've not had any problem, though mostly because I want to re-order them via the US/UK site (dependant on currency shifts)

I'd suspect they are much like my old local shop used to be, when you pre-order something you are committing to buy and they get stock in specially to fill your order. Cancelling means they now have an item they potentially cannot sell, was it a figure or a niche/expensive DvD/BD you were cancelling?

Rosencrantz said:
That's a bit disappointing, I've had to contact them a few times about various things but never had any problems. None of my responses have had a name attached to either, which on refection is not really good service.

I've only had to cancel a few things before and I've not had any problem, though mostly because I want to re-order them via the US/UK site (dependant on currency shifts)

I'd suspect they are much like my old local shop used to be, when you pre-order something you are committing to buy and they get stock in specially to fill your order. Cancelling means they now have an item they potentially cannot sell, was it a figure or a niche/expensive DvD/BD you were cancelling?

Yep, it was a figure. I can understand their reluctance to cancel an order (they're a small company, they need the money, so do I), but the whole situation could have been resolved a lot easier if their customer service person wasn't such a tool. It was the only order I've ever cancelled with them over the past eight years and it was an awful experience.

Their threat of effectively blacklisting me for having the nerve to cancel one item just pissed me off. It irritated me even more, because in the months leading up to it, they had cancelled three of my pre-orders (that I'd made months in advance). They can blame their supplier or whoever they want, but they let me down three times and I was still willing to keep giving them my custom.

You're right, it was really disappointing. I'd always had good communication with them up to this point (there used to be a dude called "Little John" who was nice). It's a shame, because I bought loads from them...they were convenient and reliable, but they won't allow me to make pre-orders anymore and spoke to me like crap, so I don't want to give them a penny.

Aaron said:
Rosencrantz said:

Yep, it was a figure. I can understand their reluctance to cancel an order (they're a small company, they need the money, so do I), but the whole situation could have been resolved a lot easier if their customer service person wasn't such a tool. It was the only order I've ever cancelled with them over the past eight years and it was an awful experience.

Their threat of effectively blacklisting me for having the nerve to cancel one item just pissed me off. It irritated me even more, because in the months leading up to it, they had cancelled three of my pre-orders (that I'd made months in advance). They can blame their supplier or whoever they want, but they let me down three times and I was still willing to keep giving them my custom.

You're right, it was really disappointing. I'd always had good communication with them up to this point (there used to be a dude called "Little John" who was nice). It's a shame, because I bought loads from them...they were convenient and reliable, but they won't allow me to make pre-orders anymore and spoke to me like crap, so I don't want to give them a penny.

Yes, retailers need to remember that every interaction counts, 1 bad experience can and will cause them to lose a persons business.

I have 3 figures on order from them, pre-orders placed basically on the day the item went up on their site. If they get cancelled I'm going to be pissed as I had the opportunity to buy direct from Japan but chose them as it'd help avoid customs and the prices were comparable.

Back