What you guys doing right now.

@memorium - I had no idea my request would cause so much trouble. Gomei... But thank you for persevering. From the demo I heard earlier, I'm sure it will be awesome. :)

What am I doing?... Practically zonked out in front of my laptop, been a tiring day. Went to meet with a recruitment agency and they kept asking the same question over and over again: What have you been doing for the last eight months? My answer - learning Japanese and volunteering. No matter how many times she asked, my answer was still the same...

Manga Girls said:
@memorium - I had no idea my request would cause so much trouble. Gomei... But thank you for persevering. From the demo I heard earlier, I'm sure it will be awesome. :)
Haha, it's more of a fault on my part, no need to be sorry, I'll definitely get it to you, but it'll sound much rougher than the original version I recorded, the only thing I'm not happy with at the moment is the 2nd guitar part, it's a bit out of sync with the rest of the instruments at this moment in time

memorium said:
Manga Girls said:
Haha, it's more of a fault on my part, no need to be sorry, I'll definitely get it to you, but it'll sound much rougher than the original version I recorded, the only thing I'm not happy with at the moment is the 2nd guitar part, it's a bit out of sync with the rest of the instruments at this moment in time

... Use a click track? It'll all be in time then.

Godot said:
memorium said:
Manga Girls said:

I just use my ear mate, I can get it, but it takes pratice

memorium said:
Godot said:
memorium said:
Manga Girls said:

I just use my ear mate, I can get it, but it takes pratice

Lol. You record multiple parts by ear? That's really, really not advised. Recording everything to a click track is harder, but everything will fit perfectly at the end of it. The only ones who used to record without a click were those who would perform as a full band and hit 'Record' while all being recorded seperately. Trying to record multiple parts by yourself, and layering them, without a click? That's just ridiculous man lol. It'll take you way longer. Jus' learn to stay in time with a click, and you'll never have the problem again. I mean, if you get recording in a band, you'll just have to do it. I remember the time it took to record some of my old bands stuff 'cause it was my first time to a click; took ages, but was worth it in the end.

Jayme said:
Ohhh! Is a click track a metronome?
Kinda, and Godot I've managed to do it without and nothing sounds out of sync from what I hear, I know how I want everything to sound in my head, all I need is a countdown and I'm sorted, even if it's not the best method in the book, it's just the way I work :)

It is rare that I become frustrated with ANN, though their decision to re-direct me to their UK domain each time my browser restarts is quite disgruntling.

This being the case, I have penned a strongly-worded letter to the Times, so to speak.

memorium said:
Jayme said:
Kinda, and Godot I've managed to do it without and nothing sounds out of sync from what I hear, I know how I want everything to sound in my head, all I need is a countdown and I'm sorted, even if it's not the best method in the book, it's just the way I work :)

That's the real problem though - from what you hear now. I remember having to re-record things because weeks later I noticed one of the strings was slightly flat (Re-recording solo's or riffs involving string bends will have this effect). There's nothing to say that in a week or so's time you wont hear the problems.

More to the point if you intend to do something musically in your life (Be it in a band or education), it's likely you'll need to use a click track. Why not just learn now? The finished product will invariably sound better, and it'll arm you for later life. It's a bitch to get used to at first, but eventually it's worth it. If you had used a click track from the start you probably wouldn't have had the problems you were experiencing.

Also, with regard to you knowing how you want things to sound in your head, I'd honestly be worried if you started recording without that lol.

Godot said:
I'd honestly be worried if you started recording without that lol.
Is it not possible to just create something with just an idea or beginning? Or was that what you meant? That's got to be more fun, it is with writing.

Jayme said:
Godot said:
I'd honestly be worried if you started recording without that lol.
Is it not possible to just create something with just an idea or beginning? Or was that what you meant? That's got to be more fun, it is with writing.

Why the heck you'd just record **** for no reason (with a click moreso) is beyond me. I've heard of some people literally just playing for hours with everything on record to listen to a later date but... bah. I can see how you could start recording but, the way Memo is talking about this, he genuinely has to actually well... do something. You'll always just freeplay something, or work some basic structure/progression out before you start recording. It's too much effort to wire everything up properly for a good quality recording if you're just gonna dick around, really.

Godot said:
memorium said:
Jayme said:

That's the real problem though - from what you hear now. I remember having to re-record things because weeks later I noticed one of the strings was slightly flat (Re-recording solo's or riffs involving string bends will have this effect). There's nothing to say that in a week or so's time you wont hear the problems.

More to the point if you intend to do something musically in your life (Be it in a band or education), it's likely you'll need to use a click track. Why not just learn now? The finished product will invariably sound better, and it'll arm you for later life. It's a bitch to get used to at first, but eventually it's worth it. If you had used a click track from the start you probably wouldn't have had the problems you were experiencing.

Also, with regard to you knowing how you want things to sound in your head, I'd honestly be worried if you started recording without that lol.
With string bends I generally notice the problem right away when I playback along with other problems, I'll try a click track at some point when I start writing more Rock/Metal again, I'm not disregarding your advice in any way, shape or form.

memorium said:
With string bends I generally notice the problem right away when I playback along with other problems, I'll try a click track at some point when I start writing more Rock/Metal again, I'm not disregarding your advice in any way, shape or form.

Yeah, that's cool. I just thought it might make life easier for you is all.

Just in work, sorting out my pay for thursday.... had a great weekend, will discuss further in the general waste thread.

Man i hate the idiot who thought up daylight savings, just move time back 30mins that way it'll be constant, no more hour back and forth.

Gonna go watch the Eng U21s over at Deepdale against Iceland U21. Gives me something different from the norm.
Ryo pointed it out to me, so I'm just gonna hang around and enjoy it in what's left of the sun.

Just wondering if i can get away with changing the radio over from heart... to radio 1.

wish me luck!

Just spent about 20mins looking online for what my tv is, as the psp bundle comes with a component cable i didn't really think to check my tv accepts component... it has scart and hdmi. so anyway i've been having a look and finally found it.

Acoustic Solutions LCD 32805 HD

Bought it years ago, but i was stood in tesco's lastnight, at a 42 and 50inch tv. looked great on the display, would have been amazing in my room :p sadly i'd have to take off 1 of the sliding wardrobe doors to fit the tv in, so i'm gunna wait till i've got my own place before splashing out on a new tv.

anyway, no luck with the radio... yet.

Lawrence said:
Watching Takeshi Nogami draw on Ustream, live right now.
Sure he's drawing tank witches, but its just interesting to see someone draw manga, regardless of series.

I have to say from what I can see so far, that drawing with ink takes a lot of precision, but he's rather quick in doing so.

do all manga artist drew in the speech bubbles? I always assumed that it was processed digitally

Back