What was your first manga?

My first manga was Fushigi Yugi vol 1. I got it for christmas years ago but back then i didn't know what the hell it was, but when i opened it i thought " oooh cool pictures". Now i love manga and i can't get enough of it :) (btw i read the storys now and don't just focus on the pictures lol)

considering I do some light work in comics, how is it that I've never posted on this part of the board before?

Truthfully, I don't read a lot of manga. But AKIRA was one fo the forst books I read that made me think 'holy cow - amazing things can be done with this medium'. I still maintain that it's the best comic book story ever told.

From there, I picked up pretty much everything Masamune Shirow put out, and then... it all sort of went a bit wobbly.

The only other manga that I have at home are the Cowboy Bebop and Heat Guy J books, and... they're fun, but nowhere near the level of sophistication of those first books I picked up.

My first manga? Bloody hell...it was probably Naruto. The first one I was interested in was .hack//Legend of the Twilight, but Mum wouldn't let me buy it (it was back during that age when I had to ask Mum for everything...a few years later I'd buy all the volumes myself xD).

The very first manga I read was Mint na bokura. I didn't really like it and then didn't read any manga for 1 year or 2. Afterwards, a friend of mine lent me +Anima and... I didn't like it either. u__u But at the same time I discovered anime, and that's what saved me ! xD The first manga I bought and enjoyed was Genshiken. ^^

My very first manga was Bleach Volume 1. I was quite hesitant to start reading manga as I've never been a fan of comics or anything but it was love at first sight :D

For me it was Love Hina, God I loved that series...I got into manga late (Even though I'd been watching anime since I was 10). 16 Years Old, and animated girls with a huge rack dressed in skimpy outfits was too much to pass up on.

One Piece: Volume 1 was my first, was supposed to be the first Volume of Yu-Gi-Oh! but the retailer cancelled my order (never did get around to getting the series)

That's odd, I thought I'd posted in this thread. Oh well.

Mine was the UK edition of Ranma, which memorably left me quite shocked at the sight of exposed cartoon breasts. Changed days...

Ranma 1/2 - the UK volumes 1 & 2. (equivelant to US Vol 1)

Was quite a few years later that I went into a local comics shop and saw the US releases on shelf kick starting my collecting

Professor Irony said:
That's odd, I thought I'd posted in this thread.
As did I. There must be another thread.

The first manga I read was probably Akira or Dominion in Manga Mania. The first manga I bought might have been those UK-published Ranma books.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Professor Irony said:
That's odd, I thought I'd posted in this thread.
As did I. There must be another thread.

The first manga I read was probably Akira or Dominion in Manga Mania. The first manga I bought might have been those UK-published Ranma books.

I think your the 3rd person to post UK Ranma, I was feeling a little old but I see I have some good company :)

My first manga was Chobits volume 1. A friend in high school was reading these strange backwards comic books and she lent me Chobits one day. I then went and got myself a copy from the pitifully small selection in my local small town bookshop. Nearly 1000 volumes and 8 years later, I REGRET NOTHING! Clamp are still one of my favourite creators, but I have plenty of other awesome stuff as well.

My very first was "Akira", but in the american run of it, coloured and reverted. Unfortunately, the publishers called the series off when they go half-way through the fifth volume. Fast Forward ten years and I come across Gunsmith Cats, which is one of my all time favourites and the reason the only car I ever really wanted have was a GT500 Cobra.

The first manga I read was Akira, like many other people here it seems, and its still one of my favorites, I love the film, that's what made me read it, and I couldn't believe that the manga could actually be so much more mind-blowingly better than it, even though I thought the film was amazing to start with.

The only other manga so far that I've had the same experience with is Nausicaa, that's a more recent read though, took me ages to discover there was a manga version of it!

Back