What series do you think should get a reboot?

Jayme said:
Story and Synopsis aren't interchangeable terms. Not for me, anyway. Synopsis' don't contain plot points/twists and hardly focus on character. It sets the world and maybe the first episode or two. Story, imo, tells everything. Wikipedia's plot descriptions do anyway.

*shrug* doesn't matter to me. I'm a person who if I like something, I will watch it repeatedly for a while and pick up nuances and all that. I watched Serial Experiements Lain 3 times through the first week I got it for example. Didn't matter that I knew the story in general terms.

Warmaster said:
Forgot Alita! Read through all the Manga a few months back and think it is a brilliant series. A bit disconnected in parts (The last order reboot was a bit odd to start with, but picked up) but great fun, and nice to see a female antagonist in an action series not treated as a piece of Moe :p

Yeah, I finished the original run just recently and there seemed to be loads of potential for an anime. As you say, the plot was slightly disconnected here and there but it certainly never became predictable or dull. The whole non-moe thing also struck me as quite refreshing. Since Alita is practically a robot apart from her brain it sort of locked-out most fan service or sexualisation, a break I definitely needed after Highschool of the Dead's panty-a-minute stylings...

Warmaster and Hde said:
Dominion Tank Police

Much as I do agree, I think the problem is the Tank SWAT oav. It's a disaster on every level and probably put paid to any further Dominion anime for the forseeable future.

More Alita would be great as well though. The original oav is just enough to whet your appetite :(

Warmaster said:
Read the story of FMA on Wikipedia or something
I'm all good, thanks.

I won't respond to the rest out of respect for your original decision not to want to enter into an Eva argument after all this time, something I think we all probably got out of our system some time ago. ^^;

Professor Irony said:
Warmaster and Hde said:
Dominion Tank Police

Much as I do agree, I think the problem is the Tank SWAT oav. It's a disaster on every level and probably put paid to any further Dominion anime for the forseeable future.

Oy! [rolls eyes]

When I found out about that OVA I was so excited. Then I saw bits of it online and... well, it looks dreadful, doesn't it?

I'd like to think that there'll be renewed interest in Shirow's stuff if that US GITS movie gets off the ground.

HdE said:
Oy! [rolls eyes]

When I found out about that OVA I was so excited. Then I saw bits of it online and... well, it looks dreadful, doesn't it?

I'd like to think that there'll be renewed interest in Shirow's stuff if that US GITS movie gets off the ground.

Yeah, I've watched a fansub of the whole thing and it's pretty dire.

Even setting aside the horrible CGI, it feels more like a badly written doujinshi than a professional production. The bulk of the characters from Conflict One are there (visibly absent; Captain Brenten - what the hell?), but most have so little to do that it just feels like a series of cameo appearances loosely tied together by an uninvolving story.

I hope you're right and the live action GitS (if it happens) might bring Shirow back to the fore, he seems to have done so little in recent years beyond those erotic illustration books.

Professor Irony said:
I hope you're right and the live action GitS (if it happens) might bring Shirow back to the fore, he seems to have done so little in recent years beyond those erotic illustration books.

Possibly one of the most shocking wastes of artistic talent I've ever seen. Seems like around the time of Man-machine interface he got bored of doing cyberpunk stories and succumbed to doing dirty illustrations instead. A pity given how much I enjoyed his earlier stuff.

Wait, I'm sorry, you guys aren't seriously calling ero drawings a categoric waste of artistic talent? Sure, it's a shame if you don't approve (or whatever term you want to use), but the quality of the art shines through regardless of content imo.

ilmaestro said:
Wait, I'm sorry, you guys aren't seriously calling ero drawings a categoric waste of artistic talent? Sure, it's a shame if you don't approve (or whatever term you want to use), but the quality of the art shines through regardless of content imo.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some of his recent work and at least from a technical standpoint it's impressive, and yeah the definition of 'wasted talent' will largely depend on whether or not your an ero fan. I'm likely being overly opinionated here (one persons trash is anothers treasure etc etc), it just irritates me mainly because I miss the sort of work he used to do such as Appleseed and the first Ghost in the Shell.

Hopefully without sounding like too much of a hypocrite I can say I don't actually mind most ero stuff/fanservice, just that in this instance it seems to me like a huge step backwards. The art itself isn't an issue and I can't criticise too heavily given his sizable backlog, the disappointment arises from him leaving behind his cyberpunk efforts in favour of this stuff. Still thinking back on it, his older work did have it's dirty moments so it can hardly be said to have appeared from nowhere...

Yeah, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing pin-up work per se, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think Shirow going from manga like GitS and Appleseed to drawing girlie calendars was a bit disappointing.

I'm not entirely certain if he's even still doing the ero work - I haven't seen the man credited with anything at all since 2008...

Back