What series do you think should get a reboot?

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I feel the anime came off much better than the manga, maybe it's cos I saw the anime first, but after the manga got past the stuff that had been in the show I didn't really like the direction it went in. Some of the new characters were cool and the assassin's school but Wolfwood really being a child who's body had aged and being a supersoldier I think detracted from his character. I think he was better being a badass normal compared to Vash's plant. His death was also more affecting in the anime, in the manga he essentially just overdosed on super serum and burnt out (I know that's not exactly right but I can't be bothered to look it up), but in the anime Vash is indirectly responsible for his death by a) leaving him to go and take out the sniper, whom he would've returned from quicker if he'd killed him and not buried him and b) Wolfwood being influenced by Vash's no kill philosophy

While the backstories for the Gung Ho Guns was interesting, I think humanising ALL the villains was a bad move, sometimes bad guys should just be bad guys. Also Legato's telekinesis via Vash's arm, while kinda dumb was still less weird than the whole I have invisible threads to control people

Frankly I also liked the plants having ab it of mystery retained about them and the big war at the end I felt was less powerful than the brother vs brother dynamic in the show.

Obviously it's just how I personally feel and I probably gave up on the manga in terms of my tolerance half way because some panels were so hard to read and figure out just what the hell was going on =S.

I'm not saying the anime was perfect either, but I enjoyed the overall plot much more.

Sorry for the rant, like you I've thought about this before heh XP

Yep, I agree 100% with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnC said:
Jayme said:
What about Berserk? That ****'s good, right?
Yes, that. And it also reminded me that I'd like Gantz without the horrendous series-ruining pacing.

Oh yes, I frickin hated how so much seemed to be filler for a 13 ep series...

Glad you agree Vashdaman =3 I didn't want to be the crazy guy who no one agrees with heh.

JAKEMAN said:
Yes thats right Martian Successor Nadesico, it was one of my first series along with evangelion, burn up w and Dirty Pair flash that got me into anime. Robots, wars, girls, comedy it had the perfect combination and a great story tied to it.

What was even better was the fact that the movie Prince of Darkness totally shifted the themes to that of a more darker tone, while still holding some of the aspects of the series. The movie it self ended at a crossroads, I will not spoil but it really put it as WHATS GONNA HAPPEN NOW.

Ugh. I am a huge fan of Nadesico - it was the first Anime series I watched along with Blue Gender (alright) and Evangelion (Terrible, but an argument i've had before) but Prince of Darkness was HORRIBLE. I think there was a discussion here years ago where loads agreed with me on that one. The very worst aspects of a 'reunion' anime. I try to forget it as much as I can, but the presence of the DVD on my shelf doesn't help.

As for the topic at hand, I would have said Hellsing above all, but of course they are doing it. In that case I would say Dominion Tank Police - what there is (the two OVA series) is brilliant, one of my fave anime of all with great stories and characters, but there was much more to give on that one. A series could be great.

Warmaster said:
In that case I would say Dominion Tank Police - what there is (the two OVA series) is brilliant, one of my fave anime of all with great stories and characters, but there was much more to give on that one. A series could be great.

You can be my friend.

the original Dominion Tank Police is one of the most fun OVA series I've ever seen. I get a lot of fun out of repeat viewings. It ain't big, it ain't clever, but it's a GREAT laugh.

New Dominion Tank Police is less so, for my money, but still enjoyable.

And it grieves me that we live in a world where there was almost, nearly, but not quite an Appleseed TV show. Could have gone toe to toe with GITS:SAC, that one. :(

HdE said:
Warmaster said:
In that case I would say Dominion Tank Police - what there is (the two OVA series) is brilliant, one of my fave anime of all with great stories and characters, but there was much more to give on that one. A series could be great.

You can be my friend.

the original Dominion Tank Police is one of the most fun OVA series I've ever seen. I get a lot of fun out of repeat viewings. It ain't big, it ain't clever, but it's a GREAT laugh.

New Dominion Tank Police is less so, for my money, but still enjoyable.

And it grieves me that we live in a world where there was almost, nearly, but not quite an Appleseed TV show. Could have gone toe to toe with GITS:SAC, that one. :(

I probably prefer New Dominion Tank Police overall. I love them both, but I felt the more integrated story of the NDTP was better - the first episode of the original was probably the best single episode though.

Appleseed would have been great as well. I have got the original Anime OVA (I think it was an OVA right?) and it is quite good but a little lightweight (It is talking about the end of the world like, and it seems far too casual). I also have the CGI movies - the first one is pretty good, the second is average. Still a series would be good, I rather liked the Manga, though rather short.)

Rather like GITS:SAC, a nice mix of episodes. The second Gig however I felt was much less interesting. I can't explain why, it just didn't seem to work for me.

As for the topic at hand. I have also always liked Orguss 02, a nicely integrated story, a few weak bits, but it is a good story. I watched the original series, but I felt it was nowhere near as good as the OVA sequel. Some work on that series would be nice for me.

And finally, my views on Evangelion? Monster of the week naffness to start with, overblown faux 'cleverness' later on (otherwise known as chuck in some random pseudo-religious and psychological waffle to give impression of depth which really isn't there) Really unlikable cast, and catastrophically poor last two episodes. Oh, and horrendously overrated (after seeing it, when I eventually got on the net and saw it worshiped I was honestly shocked and horrified.)

Plus Nadesico never pretended to be anything it wasn't - a parody, and a very good one. Evangelion tried to go all high and mighty as a 'psychological' anime or whatever, but forgot what it really was - A monster of the week mecha show, and I simply felt it never worked. An shows which should be one thing and try to be another never really agree with me (FMA - An excellent dark story presented as a comedy = I was horribly disappointed at the first 'he's short' joke and am still disappointed with the failure to present the story as it should have been.)

*Phew, shall rest my weary fingers after that :p*

Warmaster said:
shows which should be one thing and try to be another never really agree with me
Whenever I hear this from people, I can't help but think that you're putting your own preferences and suppositions ahead of more "neutral" analysis.

Reaper gI said:
F/SN= 25*3=75 hours
CLANNAD= 300 hours (how the hell did they make an even longer game than that)= 49 ep - (recap/filler 2 eps)(+ Tomoyo+ Kyou)~52ep
therefore F/SN ~ 13 ep ~ 3 movies

Should work fine as 3 movies.
None of what you said makes any sense to me. Anyway, you can't adapt any of the F/SN routes into a single movie. You need time to delve into the past of Shirou and also the past of the accomanying hero/heroine. You then need this past in order to bring about believable, or at least effective, character development. You need time for character relationships to develop and this will make you care when something happens. Not to mention the action sequences mean a lot more when you take the previous points into consideration.

Sure you can cut away things but Clannad could get away with that because the routes were much shorter but there were much more of them, which allowed for joining them together into being part of one story. You can't do the same with F/SN because each route was a single story in their own right. You need to invest yourself in a story like UBW, and you cannot do so within such a small time frame for a story so big.

All things considered, despite the TV series for Fate having many shortcomings, it had the right idea of how to tell a story from F/SN.

Also, where did you get the idea that Clannad takes 300 hours to complete? It doesn't take anywhere near as long as that.

Professor Irony said:
Seeing as Yoshiaki Kawajiri has recently been let out of space prison to make some kind of net animation, I'd really like them to redo Cyber City Oedo.

Comedy dubbing aside, I still maintain that series had plenty of scope for further, faintly ridiculous future-detective shennanigans. Basically, I'm looking for Stand Alone Complex with more space vampires.

Heh yeah, I'd definitely have liked more. Ridiculous as they were (or perhaps because of it) the OVA's were a blast, it just felt a bit of a shame they only did the three episodes. They felt like introductions to something bigger, so much so indeed that I was surprised to find out there were no more :( That said, I think the mullets would have a heard time cutting it in this decade...

For me it's got to be Battle Angel Alita - like Cyber City the 90's OVA's were pretty good but again felt like they were cut short. Considering the sizable backlog of manga to work from there would be plenty to adapt, and they could have a sort of decent ending from the original series before Last Order.

Wildcard said:
For me it's got to be Battle Angel Alita - like Cyber City the 90's OVA's were pretty good but again felt like they were cut short. Considering the sizable backlog of manga to work from there would be plenty to adapt, and they could have a sort of decent ending from the original series before Last Order.

I agree. A reboot for Battle Angel Alita would be good (probably be better than the proposed live action version).

Maxon said:
Also, where did you get the idea that Clannad takes 300 hours to complete? It doesn't take anywhere near as long as that.
F/SN bad options tend to give a bad end immedialy so it ends up fairly linear and you don't need to rerun routes so much.
CLANNAD's true end conditions mean you have to replay a lot unless you got lucky and happened to run everything in the right order anyway. Also voiced and AVG format (only one line per texbox= lots of time used in transitions) means it takes longer than it would as an unvoiced NVL (full screen of text) like F/SN.

Stuart-says-yes said:
curiously, have you actually played the game?

Also how does making one bad choice, make F/SN linear, surely you could say the same thing about the good choices then. So you might as well the say the whole game is linear then.
You can have neutral, bad(instant death) or good (+affection point/flag) options. You can avoid the bad as they give you a game over straight away. Therefore only options where more than one choice doesn't give a game over can affect the ending. So you only need to try going through combinations of those if you don't get the true end. CLANNAD lacks the bad options, so there's no indictation if you picked wrong until you get a bad end at a flag check. This makes it harder to do by trial and error, when necesary (like the Fuko Master acheivement)
Re-iterating what maxon already said, F/SN arcs , long but few in number,
CLANNAD short but many stories, hence why clannad is more replayable, simply because it has more stories to be played, it doesn't necessarily make it better though.
Not talking about replay value, talking about the conditions to finish it once.

Reaper gI said:
Maxon said:
F/SN bad options tend to give a bad end immedialy so it ends up fairly linear and you don't need to rerun routes so much.
CLANNAD's true end conditions mean you have to replay a lot unless you got lucky and happened to run everything in the right order anyway. Also voiced and AVG format (only one line per texbox= lots of time used in transitions) means it takes longer than it would as an unvoiced NVL (full screen of text) like F/SN.
That's not your point though. Your point is that somehow F/SN has a "quantifiable" 75 hours of content vs Clannad's 300, hence only needing 13 episodes to tell the story properly. Which you seemed to base on playtime. Which you are now agreeing is irrelevant since they're in completely different sub-genres.

Stop copy/pasting stuff (figuratively, if not always literally) off the internet and actually think about what you're posting, as you could actually be a really good member of the community as you clearly have a large passion for what you talk about, but you ramble far too much and post purely for the purpose of picking people up on little details far too often. Post as if you were having a conversation with people (crazy, I know, but the few times you have done this your posts are far more pleasant to read, and hence more likely to garner replies outside of people just going "nnnngh, what are you talking about").

edit: btw, I neither wanted nor expected you to reply to this post, but I do sincerely hope you at least read it and thought about it.

ilmaestro said:
Warmaster said:
shows which should be one thing and try to be another never really agree with me
Whenever I hear this from people, I can't help but think that you're putting your own preferences and suppositions ahead of more "neutral" analysis.

Well I have yet to hear anyone but a rabid fan of the series call the last two episodes anything but horrible. And most people I have asked also call the cast extremely unlikable. Most of these people being more casual anime fans than me.

However I think it is a perfectly honest criticism of any series to try and change what it is mid season - it leaves the whole badly disconnected - just like Evangelion. The first half was simply monster of the week, the second half had the faux psychological thing or whatever. It is almost like Anno went 'Ah I'm bored with this, lets try something else' half way through.

As for the comment you made. Read the story of FMA on Wikipedia or something, then watch the Anime. The story is very dark and clever. The presentation of it however, I felt was far from it. (Possibly my fault for reading the story before watching it, but then again, Jokes about short people in a story like that have no place. Cf the (perfectly legitimate) critasism of the LOTR films in how they treated Gimli)

Perhaps I am being overcritical, but I don't think it is subjective in most parts. I don't like Evangelion, I consider it one of the worst 26 Episode anime series I have watched. But I don't just say 'Its crap, don't like it' I can give legit reasons why I consider it so. Plus it is not the Genre - I like the Patlabor films, Nadesico, Orguss etc, and equally I like 'dark' or 'psychological' Anime - Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei, Paranoia Agent, GITS etc. I have given my legitimate reasons why I think Evangelion is generally a pile of junk.

*end defense*

Wildcard said:

Forgot Alita! Read through all the Manga a few months back and think it is a brilliant series. A bit disconnected in parts (The last order reboot was a bit odd to start with, but picked up) but great fun, and nice to see a female protagonist in an action series not treated as a piece of Moe :p

I,d love to see Ushio and Tora made into a long running tv series,the ova is still one of my all time fave shows ever but for some reason the show is very underrated and is ignored by most people for some reason,the show deserves all the love it can get.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Warmaster said:
Read the story of FMA on Wikipedia or something, then watch the Anime. The story is very dark and clever.

Lul wut? surely your spoiling the story for your self by reading it on wikipedia first?

I'm finding out what a series is about before I stay up half the night watching it. I mean, I usually read a blurb about anything I watch before I do which I think most people would do. Even outlines suggest a dark story. The execution however, was very poor in my eyes.

Story and Synopsis aren't interchangeable terms. Not for me, anyway. Synopsis' don't contain plot points/twists and hardly focus on character. It sets the world and maybe the first episode or two. Story, imo, tells everything. Wikipedia's plot descriptions do anyway.

Back