What Music are you listening to? Discussions Welcome!

This is the song of the year...

I hope to hear much more from Mist in 2017.

Aside from that, been listening to 'Never Gonna Give You Up' by Rick Astley for some reason. I think George Michael's death has me listening to 80s bangers.

Found this pretty cool youtube mix of Hiyoruki Sawano x Aimer collaborations! Been listening to this among other Sawano works as of recent.

I've really started getting into these quite recently, they're a Mongolian Folk Metal band.
Might have something to do with the amount of Total War Attila I've been playing!

So ONE OK ROCK's Ambitions came out today. I haven't had a good chance to listen, and a few of the songs seem exactly like what I was dreading, but the 5 Seconds of Summer collaboration is fantastic. It's exactly what I wanted from the rest of the album, which is weird given 5 Seconds of Summer are generally way more poppy than this song and I thought it would pull in that direction when it was announced.

Nobody's properly uploaded it to YouTube yet, so here's a Spotify link.

Edit: The Avril Lavinge version of "Listen" from the Japanese version of the album is also fantastic. The more I hear, the more it sounds like they picked the worst songs as singles for this album. (Weridly, she isn't on the English version of the album. :()

Last edited:
Wiley's new 'Godfather' album is decent, especially for a grime album in 2017, it's the best we'll get. It's probably his most consistent grime album, but it's also kind of one of his least interesting for me in a way. It feels like for the first time he's actively trying to live up to his 'godfather of grime' reputation (as the title of the album would suggest) and looking backwards for the first time too, rather than just doing whatever crazy and experimental thing he wants and hitting or missing wildly. Still quite a few bangers on it though. But this is my favourite song, classic wiley:

Listening to the new Metallica Album as we speak. It's good, but suffers from the same problem as Death Magnetic, that every song is like 4 minutes too long as their solo's outstay their welcome something fierce. Probably worth a 7.5 though

Listening to the new Metallica Album as we speak. It's good, but suffers from the same problem as Death Magnetic, that every song is like 4 minutes too long as their solo's outstay their welcome something fierce. Probably worth a 7.5 though

There is no such thing as a solo that outstays its welcome.

Wiley's new 'Godfather' album is decent, especially for a grime album in 2017, it's the best we'll get. It's probably his most consistent grime album, but it's also kind of one of his least interesting for me in a way. It feels like for the first time he's actively trying to live up to his 'godfather of grime' reputation (as the title of the album would suggest) and looking backwards for the first time too, rather than just doing whatever crazy and experimental thing he wants and hitting or missing wildly. Still quite a few bangers on it though. But this is my favourite song, classic wiley:

Agreed. I like the album but it's no Playtime is Over, or album before that. My main issue is with the production side of things... I feel like Wiley should keep to himself or producers that have a really GRIMEY sound from his era. I understand he wants to compete with today's Grime stars which means kinda pandering to that kind of sound but since I usually dislike modern Grime instrumentals, that prevents me from enjoying some of the tracks. Saying that, Teeza did a very nice, modern-Eski sounding track for 'Birds n Bars'.

I agree about having preferred more of his own production. But I think the overall sound of the album is actually pretty grimey, it might actually be his most consistently "hard" album in terms of beat selection maybe, I don't know. His albums are usually completely all over the place sonically and thematically, going back to his first one, you never know what to expect. It makes them more interesting in my opinion. This may seem blasphemous but I genuinely prefer Treddin over Boy in the Corner hahaha. More fun and less dreary, not that I'm denying Dizzee's first two albums are classics, but I wouldn't go back and listen to them anymore I don't think, they're just for the aggy youts.

Godfather is pretty good though actually, I did enjoy it, plenty of bangers. I wouldn't want anything that tries to exactly recreate the sound of like 15 years ago, it would never work and would be boring. I actually want something more playful. And not enough pop tunes on there for my taste really, I'm a fan of grime pop. Like this is literally better than anything on Konnichiwa, better vid too:

and dj Ironik was great as well:

Last edited:
I have to disagree here - that Skepta tune is really wack, the production is terrible as well. I don't know why he thought he could use a standard FL Studio hit for the main riff of a pop song :L. I don't mind Ironik too much and Wiley sounds good on that kinda stuff - I do prefer stuff like 'Together' by Ruff Sqwad and Wiley or 'Fallin' by Sadie Ama which makes much better use of Wifey Riddim than Tinie Tempah.

I have to disagree here - that Skepta tune is really wack, the production is terrible as well. I don't know why he thought he could use a standard FL Studio hit for the main riff of a pop song :L.

ooof! How...how..that beat is an absolutely outrageous banger!!Knock your socks off ****! Fair play to not liking the singing or verses (though I'm partial to both haha) but that beat is flawless, Skepta at his best. Try drinking it in without the vocals: Skepta Ft. Preeya Kalidas - Cross My Heart (Instrumental Mix) **** hot man **** hot

His genuine grime-pop was always big

I'm even partial to Skeppy's more egregious pop anthems to be honest and would likewise take them over Konnichiwa, crazy right!

You know, that first Flying Colours album was pretty great. Kayla is probably one of the highlights, definitely much lighter than anything I normally listen to, but still I really enjoy it. Still need to give that second album a full listen, but what I've heard from it hasn't been great, if I'm honest. Doesn't have the same feel, it's kind of a bit darker, which I'm normally into, but I liked that first album because it's so different from what I normally like, yet still incorporating a lot of elements from harder rock and metal stuff.

Belters. That Lightnin one in particular, whoa, that would knock your brain out of your head played on a proper system. Man, it was sad the way this kind of head banging uk funky died out so quick. Last proper uk underground sound in my opinion. UK music is just horrid overall now, and I despise uk gangster rap (maybe with the exception of Giggs) with a burning passion. I'm actively pursuing an interest in J-pop (and I mean that seriously, not being sarcastic and snobbish or anything) as an alternative. Recommendations??

I'd say this song makes me want a Mercedes C Class, but the official video instead features a 1968 Alfa Spider 1300 Junior, which is undoubtedly the better car.

I love that feeling when you suddenly rediscover a band you hadn't listened to in 15 years at least. That happened over the weekend while sorting out my CDs to sell I found a copy of 'We Care' by Whale. They were a Swedish alternative rock band in the 90s (which is my jam) and that album is one of the most sexiest crazed pieces of music I've ever heard and I love it. Way too much fun.

Last edited:
Back