What manga are you reading now?

I started listening to Sistersong by Lucy Holland as read by Robyn Holdaway and was really enjoying it then had some trouble with the Books app on my Macbook not remembering my place! I redownloaded it from Audible as one single file instead of in parts and for now at least that seems to have solved the problem thankfully :)

Fangs by Sarah Andersen - adorable light read in a lovely blood red clothbound hardcover edition with black text and images on it, I really enjoyed this romance between a vampire woman and a werewolf man, just little moments in their relationship, so cute! The creator is the one behind the popular webcomic Sarah's Scribbles and this has the same kind of vibe with its observations about relationships and people :)

Lore Olympus Volume 1 by Rachel Smythe - Partway through this first volume of the hardcover graphic novel editions of the highly regarded webtoon. I am utterly entranced, I love this and I have Volume 2 so I am planning to finish both currently available volumes today :)

Wicked Hero Hunter of Heroes 1
Violent

I'm the Hero, but the Demon Lord's Also Me 4
Sadly this is the final volume.
However the mother's if the 2 main female characters have arrived. Fanservice alert 😍

Booty Royale volume 3-4
I think it's autobiographical

Hi, I'm a Witch, and My Crush Wants Me to Make a Love Potion volume 1
Studio Apartment, Good Lighting, Angel Included volume 1 - Reviews of these two to follow.

A Witch's Printing Office volume 6 (complete) - A nice conclusion to this series and a good time to bid it goodbye I think.

Did I Seriously Just Get Reincarnated as My Gag Character?! volume 1 (LN) - A silly isekai series that looks cancelled at volume 2, so I doubt we'll get anywhere meaningful but it's an alright read for the price of nothing through my J-Novel Club subscription.

I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled In the Real World, Too volume 1 (LN) - Review to follow

Isekai Tensei: Recruited to Another World volume 1 (LN) - Following the tried and trusted isekai tropes of being reincarnated into a fantasy world as a child with impressive magic/abilities. That said, I grew very attached to the protagonist over the course of this first volume so it's a keeper even if not anything original.

The Greatest Magicmaster's Retirement Plan volume 14 (LN) - Almost caught up to the Japanese releases now!

A Serenade for Pretend Lovers volume 2 - Another series that leans into silly melodrama, but unlike Such a Treacherous Piano Sonata (similar genre and set-up), the drama in this one isn't quite as forced so I find myself more interested in seeing where it's going in the next few volumes.

Rebuild World volume 1 (LN, dropped) - No doubt if you're a sci-fi fan the futuristic setting may interest you, but I struggle with sci-fi myself unless I really like the characters or setting and in this case, I just did not care enough.

When a Cat Faces West volume 3 (complete) - It feels like this series never accomplished anything. We just drifted from chapter to chapter with the cast sometimes doing their job and sometimes not. There are some good chapters among the three volumes, but on the whole, it's all rather forgettable.

My Idol Sits The Next Desk Over volume 1 (dropped) - One of Bookwalker's current freebies. I liked the set-up more than I thought I would, but there is a secondary main character who bullies the protagonist and I just hate everything about how the author decided to deal with that situation, so won't be carrying on.

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 112

Hajimete no Gal ch 140 - 141

Houkago no Goumon Shoujo ch 131 - 133

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san Ch 162

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 234 - 236

Tales of Wedding Rings ch 70

Tsugumomo ch 150

K-On! vol 1
Fuwa-fuwa time.
Had a lot of time to kill on my route today so downloaded this to the Bookwalker app on my phone. The 4-koma nature and the fact I've seen the anime means I could read it without missing details. And it is pretty much exactly as I remember from the anime, apart from the part where they get a job to earn money for Yui's guitar, that might be later in the manga and shuffled to earlier in the anime I'll have to wait and see. My one complaint about the anime was the lack of them actually playing their instruments and if anything there's even less of it here! The anime showed the full song at the school festival.

Full Metal Panic 8 LN
In some ways the most fillery of the FMP novels so far but it's actually the perfect point in the story to focus a bit solely on Souske and his state of mind. Which this novel does brilliantly.

Shadows House vol 1
Really enjoyed this. Its fairly light and breezy but has a darker undercurrent that's fascinating. It's also a really cool and unique concept that I'm very intrigued by. The main characters are really likable too. Got it after reading the review here on the site. Definitely recommended.

Also listened to T.A.P 2: Breakup which was fun. A legless poker player who happens to be able to bring electronic devices to life gets into many life threatening scenarios. Alright with his pseudo harem of his car, his bike and a girl who can weave light.

Another audiobook was Columbus Day by Graig Alanson about humanity being drawn into a millenias old galactic war. Was all first person from the point of view of a soldier and was a great listen. Very original and different.

And read Sickness or Sorrow 1 (comic from kickstarter) about various people with powers that mostly use them to kill without being caught. Though it also hints at something bigger going on.

Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki volume 7 (LN) - Probably one of my favourite volumes in the series so far. This one really has a come way from when I dropped it back in Volume 1 and gave it a reluctant second chance.

Cooking with Wild Game volume 18 (LN)

Blue Sky Complex volume 7 - Going to be a painful wait for the next volume now that we're all caught up (luckily Volume 8 is out this month in Japan!). I really enjoyed the storyline the back-half of Vol 6 and this one told and I wouldn't have been too upset if that had been the overall end of the series, honestly.

Konosuba volume 17 (LN, complete) - Bit of an end of an era here with Konosuba finally concluding (not that there aren't still plenty of spin-offs to still be brought over!) and I'm glad that it had a solid ending after all this time, even if there are still some loose ends. I hope the anime manages to get all the way to the end eventually!

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody ch 89

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 113

Hajimete no Gal ch 142 - 144

Houkago no Goumon Shoujo Ch 134

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 237 - 239

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime ch 98

Wise Man's Granchild ch 70

Read new volumes of a few of my favourites over the weekend:

Vampire Knight Memories volume 7 - So much happens in this volume to volume and yet it feels like we get nowhere at all. Hopefully, Volume 8 will start to tie up more of the plot threads rather than leave us with even more questions.

Bungo Stray Dogs: Beast volume 3 - Only a volume to go until the end! I still very much enjoy this alt-universe storyline.

Call of the Night volume 8 - Still enjoying the direction this one has been taking as of late.

Toilet-bound Hanako-kun volume 14 - That cliffhanger :eek:

Glass Syndrome (complete) - This one didn't leave much of an impression, I think it wrapped the storyline up too quickly and would have been better with an extra chapter or two just to better develop the two main characters and their relationship to one another.

The Other World's Books Depend on the Bean Counter volume 1 - I enjoyed the first volume of this one a great deal. It's about a salaryman who ends up accidentally caught up in a hero summoning and winding up in another world, where he decides to work as an accountant. There's quite a lot happening in the background (not everyone is happy with him taking a job for the castle, nor that he wound up in this world at all!) and there's an interesting cast of characters. Definitely looking forward to seeing how it develops going forward. :)

The Girl in the Arcade vol 1
Fun ecchi manga. Your typical downtrodden MC suddenly gets his boring life interrupted by a busty beauty in the arcade he works at. Circumstances mean she gets him to help her win prizes of her favourite character. This leads to lots of compromising situations both IRL and imagined ie getting her top pulled off by a zombie when they play a House of the Dead like game.

The Other World's Books Depend on the Bean Counter Volume 1 by Kazuki Irodori Yen Press - review to follow.
Kowloon Generic Romance Volume 1 Review by Jun Mayuzuki Yen Press - At last! The first volume of the long-awaited (by me, anyway) Jun Mayuzuki (After the Rain) - review to follow!
Tales of the Kingdom Volume 1 by Asumiko Nakamura Yen Press - another favourite mangaka of mine and a review will also be following shortly!
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun #13 by Izumi Tsubaka Yen Press - hilarious as ever.

Also...but in French from Taifu because not yet available in English...
Daisy Jealousy by Tanaka Ogeretsu
Twittering Birds Never Fly #7 Kou Yoneda

The Other World's Books Depend on the Bean Counter Volume 1 by Kazuki Irodori Yen Press - review to follow.
Kowloon Generic Romance Volume 1 Review by Jun Mayuzuki Yen Press - At last! The first volume of the long-awaited (by me, anyway) Jun Mayuzuki (After the Rain) - review to follow!
Aha I was wondering if you'd be covering Bean Counter, looking forward to reading your thoughts on that! Ditto for Kowloon, that one has been a long time coming so I hope it has lived up to the anticipation. :)

Aha I was wondering if you'd be covering Bean Counter, looking forward to reading your thoughts on that! Ditto for Kowloon, that one has been a long time coming so I hope it has lived up to the anticipation. :)
I was glad (relieved!) to see that you'd liked Bean Counter because it's something of an unknown for me (and I'm still wary around isekai) - but I'm confident I'll be recommending Kowloon (although I'm surprised Yen have given it an M Mature rating and shrink-wrapped it!) :cool:

Did you read it digitally or physically?

I got vol 1 and the majority of chapter 1 and 2 pages of chapter 2 are washed out compared to normal.

Washed out
20220811_100322.jpg

Normal
20220811_100345.jpg

Back