What manga are you reading now?

Finished the unabridged audiobook of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell... that was one hecc of a journey! Dunno if I will find the time to listen to it again but it was a thoroughly enjoyable 32 and a half hours! I cried! I laughed! My favourite character was probably Aunt (Louisa) Greysteel. Also an excellent reading from Simon Prebble, though interestingly, according to Wikipedia, the author Susanna Clarke has declared the narrator to be female rather than male (as in in the novel itself as written, she wasn't commenting on Simon Prebble I don't think) :)

Ascendance of a Bookworm: Royal Academy Stories - First Year (LN, complete) - A nice collection of short stories following some of the new characters we've been meeting in this arc.

Daily Report About My Witch Senpai volume 2 (JP) - Since this one tied up so neatly, I'm surprised the author has decided to bring it back (even with the demand), so I'm certainly intrigued to find out where we're going.

Dungeon Busters volume 3 (LN)

Hell Mode: The Hardcore Gamer Dominates in Another World with Garbage Balancing volume 4 (LN)

My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer volume 5 (LN) All three of these continue to be interesting without anything of particular note has changed. Hell Mode is caught up with Japan with Volume 5, so that one will soon be put on the back burner while we wait out more volumes.

Full Metal Panic: Continuing On My Own vol 7
Another great read. The action reaches breaking point and the story heads in a new direction. Everyone gets pushed to their limit. The comedy is down in this one but the stakes and story get pushed to an all time high.

And a western comic.
Wendigo Wood 4 end
A satisfying end to this horror story about cultists delivering sacrifices to the Wendigo to keep them at bay.

Last edited:
Kuroneko to Heishi (JP, complete) - A fairly cute series about a soldier and the black cat that takes a shine to him on the battlefield. Wouldn't be surprised if Kodansha licensed it eventually.

Tesla Note volume 5 - Another interesting volume, but I found it much more difficult to follow the flow of the action scenes than usual. Hopefully, that won't be the case going forward since the battles are one of my favourite things about the series.

Koigakubo-kun Stole My First Time volume 2 - Still quite cute for what it is.

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End volume 4
Der Werwolf: The Annals of Veight volume 14 (LN)
That's My Atypical Girlfriend volume 5

Burn the House Down volume 1 - Not too dissimilar to Something's Wrong with Us in that it is a story of revenge (and no doubt, later love). Intrigued enough to follow it into Volume 2 at least.

86 volume 10 (LN) - Another excellent volume of the series.

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody ch 88

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 110 - 111

Houkago no Goumon Shoujo ch 127 - 130

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch 161

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 231 - 233

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou ch 75 - 76

Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World ch 59

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime ch 97

Syrup: A Yuri Anthology Vol 4
The theme for this volume was the first special night, so it's the most ecchi-est volume so far. Even so most of the stories were quite sweet as most of the couples were nervous about doing it.
My favourite was Kick in the Teeth by Nishio Yuhta about a dentist with a weird kink. Ito Hachi was back with their lovely art and age-gap kink. The art of the first chapter by Dr. Pepperco was really nice as well.

Noragami volume 24 - Can definitely tell that this one is approaching the end of the story now, I'd be surprised if we hit 30 volumes. I hope it ends well because I've enjoyed this series a lot over the years.

Hero Classroom volume 1 - Fairly stereotypical OP protagonist series in a school setting. This one is pretty popular so I'm assuming it continues to be fun all the way through to the latest chapters, but guess I'll find out...

A Couple of Cuckoos volume 8 - New character alert!

Magic Artisan Dahlia Wilts No More Volume 2 - Still a very cute adaptation of the light novel series.

An Archdemon's Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride volume 14 (LN) - Short story collection time, which I'm not going to complain about since they were ridiculously cute.

The Ideal Sponger Life volume 7 (LN)
The Great Cleric volume 9 (LN)

Go for It Again, Nakamura! by Syundei - Seven Seas - the long-awaited sequel to the wonderfully retro BL comedy
O.B. Volume 5 of Classmates by Asumiko Nakamura - Seven Seas
A Man and his Cat #6 by Umi Sakurai Square Enix - review to follow :)

Grimm Tales for Young and Old (unabridged) - retellings of the fairy tales of the Grimm brothers written by Philip Pullman and read by Samuel West (though Pullman himself reads the introduction). Very enjoyable overall, with a mix of stories I knew well from childhood and ones that were new to me, the narration was also of a high standard. I liked that Pullman put particular effort into longer retellings of some of the perhaps less well-known stories such as "The Shivers". 50 stories are included, one per chapter, plus a 51st chapter at the beginning for the introduction, which was pretty interesting and informative in its own right. Runs about 10 and a half hours total - I got it off Audible as a Daily Deal for £1 (99p actually but I always round up my outgoings to the nearest pound) but I would not have felt cheated or shortchanged, had I used a credit or paid the standard member price of £8 per audiobook for it :)

I have now started listening to Kizumonogatari: Wound Tale by NISIOISIN, as read by Keith Silverstein, Eric Kimerer and Cristina Vee :)

Dahlia in Bloom: Crafting a Fresh Start with Magical Tools volume 4 (LN) - Starting to move into a more politically driven storyline as Dahlia interacts with more nobles, which I don't hate but I am 100% more interested in the romance and the two dorks creating dangerous magic swords.

Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie volume 1 - The anime adaptation has done a lot of work to make this one as entertaining as it has been. The manga is made up of very short chapters with often off-model artwork. It's definitely something I'd prefer to have access to via a sub rather than paying per volume.

Life So Happy volume 2 (JP) - Continuing on with this sequel to Love, So life. Only one more volume to go before the end, but as this one proves the series is doing a good job of catching up with the cast and showing us some of the struggles the kids are going through now they're getting older.

Bungo Stray Dogs: Wan! volume 2 - More or less the same as Volume 1. Some great gags but your mileage will vary depending on who of the Bungo cast you care about. There are also a lot of jokes based on fairytale stories or rhymes which personally don't work for me.

Am I Actually the Strongest? volume 1 - A fairly by the books OP isekai adventure series, I only picked it up because it was one of the freebies in the current BookWalker promotion. I believe Kodansha have the LNs scheduled for a release later in the year, so I might pick up volume 1 of those before I buy more of the manga.

Have now finished the unabridged Kizumonogatari: Wound Tale audiobook, narration was excellent and I'll def be listening to the rest of the Monogatari books that are available in audiobook format (there are four other ones - the three parts of Bakemonogatari and Nekomonogatari (White): Cat Tale and I have all of them from audible already) :)

Reincarnated As The Last Of My Kind vol 2
LN audiobook
Starts out with more largly gentle escapades as Tina grows up. Although as it goes on there's more drama and some real decisions to make. Tina also starts to learn about what race she actually is and indeed why she is the last of her kind and a larger story is set up at the end which I wasn't expecting to happen in this series. Very intrigued to see where it goes.

Overlord vol 3 LN audiobook
The best arc from season1 of the anime as Ainz actually gets pushed a lot more and really has to think and prove himself. It's Overlord: it's fun and entertaining!

Also finished Rythm Of War audiobook by Brandon Sanderson. This series will go down as his magnum opus. It's extraordinary how good it is. At 57 hours long it's the longest audiobook I've listened to but the whole thing was gripping (the next 3 longest are books 1-3 of this series). By comparison the LN audiobooks are only 7-9 hours long!

Life So Happy volume 3 (JP) - Not the conclusion to the series I thought it would be and the author talks about a fourth and final volume in the afterward, although this has yet to materialise...

Hikaru in the Light volume 1 - A fairly inoffensive story about a girl who loves singing and gets roped into auditioning for an idol group alongside one of her good friends. There's news that it's finishing in Japan fairly soon and at only volume 4 or 5, so I worry it won't accomplish much by then.

Gushing Over Magical Girls volume 2 - Still very horny...

Reborn to Master the Blade: From Hero King to Extraordinary Squire volume 3 - Some excellent fight scenes this time around.

Slayers volume 15 (LN)
Ascendance of a Bookworm volume 20 (LN)

To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts volume 13 - Definitely feels like the story will wrap up in volume 14 or 15. I've been reading this one for such a long time that it's going to be difficult to let it go, but it certainly feels like the right time.

Fushi no Kami: Rebuilding Civilization Starts with a Village volume 2 - Still enjoy the manga for this more than I did the LNs, just cutting down on the MCs monologues has made a huge difference.

Magic Knights of the Old Ways volume 3 (LN) - Still waiting for this to go the way of Last Round Arthurs, but so far so good...

Those Not-So-Sweet Boys volume 7 (complete) -I've really enjoyed this one from start to end. Initially, I was worried there were too many characters and that the story would get a bit generic, but I think that's where having 7 volumes has really helped it because it's not too long but still long enough to flesh everyone out and deal with their backstories.

The Yagyu Ninja Scrolls: Revenge of the Hori Clan vol 1
Thought I'd check this out whilst it was still in the coin back event.
A revenge story set in the 17th century where the women from the titular clan go up against men with near supernatural fighting skills who wronged them.
The bad guys designs are all suitably grotesque/devilish and the action so far is pretty clear.
Think I'll continue.

Back