What manga are you reading now?

If someone made a thread to discuss audiobooks of LN I would join in. Having only discovered them recently I have enjoyed the few I've listened to. Overlord 1 and 2 and Reincarnated as the Last of my Kind 1.
Just wondering...did these also have FX, music and an extended voice cast as well as a narrator? (Intrigued that some LNs are getting a 'big budget' release.) 🤔

Just wondering...did these also have FX, music and an extended voice cast as well as a narrator? (Intrigued that some LNs are getting a 'big budget' release.) 🤔
They were just narrated if i remember correctly. Overlord is by the Chris Gurrero who voices Aniz in the English dubs so it sounds nice and authentic as a dub watcher myself.

Reincarnated had 2 narrators Casandra Lee Morris for the girl protagonist point of view chapters and a guy (can't remember who) for the fathers point of view chapters. It's a trick I've seen a view times in audiobooks with multiple pov characters which makes it easier to follow along and know where you are in the story.

Both were well acted and I'll be continuing both series alongside other audiobooks I listen to. (Currently on Rythm of War by Brandon Sanderson which is 57 hours long so will be a while before I listen to Reincarnated 2)

They were just narrated if i remember correctly. Overlord is by the Chris Gurrero who voices Aniz in the English dubs so it sounds nice and authentic as a dub watcher myself.

Reincarnated had 2 narrators Casandra Lee Morris for the girl protagonist point of view chapters and a guy (can't remember who) for the fathers point of view chapters. It's a trick I've seen a view times in audiobooks with multiple pov characters which makes it easier to follow along and know where you are in the story.

Both were well acted and I'll be continuing both series alongside other audiobooks I listen to. (Currently on Rythm of War by Brandon Sanderson which is 57 hours long so will be a while before I listen to Reincarnated 2)
Brandon Sanderson?! As you say, that's not going to be over anytime soon! 😅

But thank you for the information about the LN narrators; that's really helpful - and good that they used VAs connected with the original dub (well, in the case of Overlord, anyway). :)

Brandon Sanderson?! As you say, that's not going to be over anytime soon! 😅
A touch off topic but I must say that the audiobooks for Sandersons novels are brilliantly narrated. The Stormlight Archive books are read by Michael Kramer (male pov sections) and Kate Reading (female pov sections) and they are 2 of the best narrators I've ever heard. I've even listened to some novels just because they were reading it.

Hanamonogatari LN
Really enjoyed this one. Kanbaru is my favourite character is the series so to have a story told from her point of view is great for me.
Goodness, I am reminded that I need to get back into the light novels which I left off whilst waiting to source the second season boxset! Ah man, just not enough hours in the day...

Even If The Sword Saint is Boring He's Still the Strongest ch 70 - 71

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 109

Hajimete no Gal ch 138 - 139

In Another World With My Smartphone ch 67 - 68

Houkago no Goumon Shoujo ch 125 - 126

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord ch 85.1 - 85.2

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 228 - 230

Tales of Wedding Rings ch 69

The Princess Knight is a Classmate! ch 48

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime ch 96

The Rising of the Shield Hero ch 88

Tsugumomo ch 149

Fullmetal Alchemist: Fullmetal Edition volume 16 - Must be getting to the end of these soon, still love the series and have been enjoying the excuse to reread it.

The Transcendent One-Sided Love of Yoshida the Catch volume 2 - Still very funny!

D-Genesis: Three Years After the Dungeon Appeared volume 1 (LN) - I think this is a better take on what would happen if dungeons suddenly appeared in modern-day Japan. Definitely better than Dungeon Busters which is the same concept but boiled down to being a bit too politically charged for me.

Joy volume 1 - Somewhat surprised Kodansha didn't shove this into an omnibus as they often do and I think that might have been better for it. I'm not entirely convinced it needs another volume, but I guess we'll see.

Durarara!! SH volume 3 (LN) - I keep forgetting this series ran for 4 volumes and not 3. I was thinking the whole time "this actually seems like a good stopping point" and then remembered there is more to come. Hopefully, that also proves a good stopping point. 😅 Regardless, this one proved another good entry in the series and I'm quite endeared to the new cast at this point.

The unabridged audiobook of Circe by Madeline Miller, as read by Perdita Weeks - a lush, beautifully crafted retelling of Greek mythology, I've got just over 8 hours left to go, been meaning to finish this for quite a while and I've finally got the peace and quiet that I need to do so :)

Finished Circe and it was so beautiful and lyrical, I absolutely loved it, now I'm listening to Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke, as read by Simon Prebble, I had previously listened to a significant chunk of it, about a third, and am starting back up where I left off - it's very enjoyable I love the witty comedy of manners style of description of all the characters and it's such a magical book as well, the audiobook is 32 and a half hours long so there's plenty to get stuck into :)

Monologue Woven for You volume 2 - Getting to the bottom of the character's history now, which is good and rewarding!

The Vexations of a Shut-In Princess volume 1 (LN) - Review to follow...

This Vampire Won't Give Up! volume 2 - Still hilarious artwork and the introduction of a werewolf into the plot is proving a lot of fun.

Fantasy Inbound Volume 3 (LN) - Another interesting volume, but seeing as how there hasn't been a Volume 4 since this came out a year ago I do wonder if there will be any more of it... There was a year gap between Volume 2 and 3, so it's still a little too early to write it off coming back.

Citrus Volume 2 (JP, complete) - An interesting and fairly grounded read. It's a shame that the rest of the cast is way more interesting than the main character was though. 😅

Hakumei and Mikochi vol 9
Pretty varied bunch of stories from the lives of our tiny friends including origins of their living arrangement, various jobs of those around them and a little bit of romance.
Took 2 sittings as it's fairly long at 200+ pages and I had to stop and admire the artwork on many occasion.

Wotakoi volume 6 (complete) - Technically I'd already read this in Japanese, but it was nice to finally have my hands on an English copy to complete the set! This series has been a true joy from beginning to end and I can't wait to see what the author gets up to next (perhaps back to BL?).

Zense de Koroshita Aite no Tantou Henshuu ni Narimashita (complete, JP) - Was sad to see this one come to an end after only 12 chapters, but it was a fun story about an editor and novelist who shared an interesting history in their past lives.

Kimi wa Haru ni Me wo Samasu volumes 6-7 (JP) - Finally continuing on with this series as the drama escalates to new heights as we approach the end.

The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting volume 4 - This one has an anime starting for the Summer season which should be fun if they manage to get the comedy right.

Bungo Stray Dogs volume 21 - I really do wonder if this will end up being the final arc in the series, it would be hard to escalate the stakes as high as this again afterwards and be satisfying. The English releases are only a volume behind Japan now, so I don't think this arc has concluded there yet either.

Call of the Night volume 7

Finished reading The Thursday Murder Club Book 1, one of the most gosh-darn warmhearted and funny crime novels I have had the pleasure to experience :) 👍

Still listening to Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, about 9hr40min left to go, and I've been reading more of my Pocket Book of Romantic Poetry :)

Koi ni Mudaguchi volume 8 (JP) - Probably going to see this series wrap up soon given where all the cast are now, which will be a shame...

Kimi wa Haru ni Me wo Samasu volumes 8-10 (JP, complete) - Finally finished this series after many years. A true joy from start to finish and I hope it gets licensed someday so others can enjoy it too. Definitely a shoujo I've been incredibly invested in since it started, even despite my language skills being pretty poor when I first picked it up.

A Side Character's Love Story volume 11 - This one continues to tackle relatable problems as the cast take their first steps into the working world after college/uni.

Piano Duo for the Left Hand volume 4 - This one continues to be very unrealistic and silly, but I still like the MC so I'm struggling to find the motivation to let it go. Maybe the next time it does something ridiculous that will be my cutting-off point...

I'll Be with Them Again Today volume 3 - Next volume is the last one, which I think feels about right for the direction the story has gone.

When a Cat Faces West volume 2 - Some fairly disjointed storytelling in this one, not as charming as its first outing was.

Bibliophile Princess volume 6
The Executioner and Her Way of Love Volume 4 (LN)
A Serenade for Pretend Lovers volume 1 - This one moved really fast and I think we may have sacrificed character development for it... Will probably pick up Volume 2, but might not last the whole six volumes if it doesn't halt the sexy times to actually develop the two main characters.

Karneval #13 (much delayed) by Touya Mikanagi Yen Press but worth waiting for as the long-running story is reaching its climax! 'M' rated again like #12 (a little to my surprise - but the SF side of this story has risen to the surface and it's dark) this volume contains #25 and #26 of the original Japanese volumes, so only one more 2-in-1 to go as the series concludes at #28. Beautiful colour art, as always, from this mangaka.
Blue Period #7 Tsubasa Yamaguchi Kodansha - review to follow
The Witch and the Beast #8 by Kousuke Satake Kodansha - review to follow

Digital BL
Lala's Married Life #1 and #2 by Tamekou (Animate International Co. Ltd) Very beautiful art, as always, from this artist - Mature rating well earned(!) : fantasy-ish setting - although the names are not very consistent which is something of a distraction. For me, anyways! 😅
Lullaby of the Dawn #1 by Ichika Yuno ShuCream via BookWalker. Highly recommended fantasy romance with believable characters and a well constructed, intriguing plot.

Back