What manga are you reading now?

My Hero Academia: School Briefs volume 5 (LN)
With a Dog and a Cat, Every Day is Fun! volumes 4-5
Blue Sky Complex volume 1
Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun volume 10
A Sister's All You Need volume 11 (LN)
Rent-A-Girlfriend volume 8
The Ancient Magus Bride volume 15 - Still I remain perplexed as to why I keep buying and reading this series since it hasn't really hit any significant turning point in getting away from the current setting.

Kakafukaka volume 4
The Hunters Guild: Red Hood (Shounen Jump, complete)
One Room of Happiness volume 9 - feels like this series is near a stopping point so I really hope Crunchyroll doesn't get folded into Funimation or whatever they do with it before it ends, since they're the only English license for it. :(

@Demelza: I, too, am sadly underwhelmed by Volume 15 of The Ancient Magus' Bride - and remain convinced that, after the anime version, it lost its magic (at some deep level) for the mangaka. Her other series Frau Faust only lasted 5 volumes (although I felt that she was obliged to end it before she wanted to, maybe because of Magus' Bride? A pity, because it had some strong storylines and characters. mostly unresolved). And now she's started another new series? The love affair with Europe continues... (not that it's a bad thing but...)

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 94

Houkago no Goumon ch 102

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord ch 75.1

In Another World With My Smartphone ch 59 - 60

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 203

Seitokai Yakuindomo ch 635 - 639

Tsugumomo ch 143

@Demelza: I, too, am sadly underwhelmed by Volume 15 of The Ancient Magus' Bride - and remain convinced that, after the anime version, it lost its magic (at some deep level) for the mangaka. Her other series Frau Faust only lasted 5 volumes (although I felt that she was obliged to end it before she wanted to, maybe because of Magus' Bride? A pity, because it had some strong storylines and characters. mostly unresolved). And now she's started another new series? The love affair with Europe continues... (not that it's a bad thing but...)

@Sarah I'm glad I'm not the only one who continues to be underwhelmed by The Ancient Magus' Bride, but it is such a shame that we can both see the point where it lost the special something it had. I've never read Frau Faust before, but I might have to give it a go even despite knowing it ended prematurely.

That new series looks really interesting too! Certainly, the synopsis makes it sound like it would better capture the elements we've lost and enjoyed from The Ancient Magus' Bride. I'll have to keep an eye out for its first volume being released in Japanese and then maybe I will finally bring myself to just stop buying Magus' Bride unless I hear of improvements. 😅

@Demelza: I think you'd enjoy Frau Faust as it's different enough from Ancient Magus to be quite distinctive and it does have an ending, even if it's not the one it seemed originally to be building up to.:)

Also I wonder if this new OAD for Ancient Magus has been distracting sensei for a while (I guess we have to hope that Crunchy will pick it up). There seems to be a preview planned for tomorrow of the 2nd part/book so I think it will pop up more on Twitter?

But I can only agree (shakes head sadly) that this whole arc is flat and not going anywhere fast. (Also, is it me or has the art suffered too?) Time for Chise to leave Hogwarts the Magic Academy asap!

Seraph of the End #22 VIZ Media
Sasake and Miyano #4 Shou Harusono (review to follow) Yen Press
Skip and Loafer #2 Misaki Takamatsu Seven Seas (digital) - I now have #1 in print; review (hopefully) to follow
Given #6 SuBLime in print at long last from Natsuki Kizu - best option still with SuBLime (and Kodansha) is to buy digital if you want to read the actual manga sometime soon as the print copies for the UK are being released much later.
Twittering Birds Never Fly #5 Kou Yoneda June (honestly thought this would never appear in print, given June's track record, but here it is at very long last - and they're now offering #6 as a pre-order!!)

Slasher Maidens vol 1
Has quite a barmy hook to the plot. The titular Slasher Maidens are girls that wear the "Momentos" from serial killers (the 3 main girls use items from a thinly veiled rip offs of Freddie, Jason and Leatherface) so that they can become powerful enough to kill kaijin (humans that go mad from unfulfilled desires and general bad thoughts, Thanatos, and turn into monsters), but it's a dangerous thing to use these items as the spirit of the serial killers live on in them and the girls can succumb and turn on their colleagues. All this is kept under wraps under the guise of the girls being at a high end all girls school. This is where our "hero" comes in. Asuma is a super horndog who's been obsessed with girls and sex from an early age. He can stop the girls by using the power of Eros to suppress the power of Thanatos so they can remove the Momentos. He is transferred into the all girls school and on his first mission he's told he can do anything sexual to achieve his mission which could be super creepy, but so far has only used a kiss and blow in the ear. Of course the girls accept it rather than the alternative of killing a friend!
The action is quite bloody and the ecchi has been fairly minimal so far and despite the silly set up has some poignant moments along with some humorous moments. Think I'll continue it.

Call of the Night volume 4 - The plot is beginning to heat up!
Snow White with the Red Hair volume 14
The Detective is Already Dead volume 2 (LN) - An emotional tale that makes me madder about how bad the anime was...
Sex Ed 120% volume 2

Read Sweat and Soap volume 1 and oh boy I have so many thoughts!

To start off, this is a series I was heavily on the fence about because of the name and theme. I heard so many good things about it and had it recommended to me multiple times, but... how could a story focused around sweat possibly be appealing? Especially for a clean freak with a sensitivity to smells like myself. I did see it in a store nearby where I work and dwelled on it for a few weeks, one day I decided that I'll buy it before work if it's still there and it was!

As soon as I started reading it, all of my reservations washed away. It's a surprisingly pleasant story. I realised that the underlying theme is that someone will love you for your biggest insecurity and suddenly it actually became really sweet instead of weird or gross.

Not that I don't have some slight dislikes about the series (namely some of the fanservice-ish scenes like the bonus chapter about her breast size seem unnecessary and make the guy seem a bit more of a pervert than the gentleman with unusual tastes that he usually comes across as, but it is to be expected from seinen) but they are easy to look over.

Their relationship seems realistic, mature and healthy despite being in the early stages and them having a few misunderstandings/not yet fully trusting eachother. Of course, this too is natural, and I look forward to how their relationship will grow.
I'm definitely looking forward to getting more volumes of this and I'm glad as I did worry that I'd not get into it. I can see now why this series is so heavily beloved and hyped! I even see people with mostly shonen collections make an exception for this series, not just romance lovers like me.

Last edited:
Read Sweat and Soap volume 1 and oh boy I have so many thoughts!

To start off, this is a series I was heavily on the fence about because of the name and theme. I heard so many good things about it and had it recommended to me multiple times, but... how could a story focused around sweat possibly be appealing? Especially for a clean freak with a sensitivity to smells like myself. I did see it in a store nearby where I work and dwelled on it for a few weeks, one day I decided that I'll buy it before work if it's still there and it was!

As soon as I started reading it, all of my reservations washed away. It's a surprisingly pleasant story. I realised that the underlying theme is that someone will love you for your biggest insecurity and suddenly it actually became really sweet instead of weird or gross.

Not that I don't have some slight dislikes about the series (namely some of the fanservice-ish scenes like the bonus chapter about her breast size seem unnecessary and make the guy seem a bit more of a pervert than the gentleman with unusual tastes that he usually comes across as, but it is to be expected from seinen) but they are easy to look over.

Their relationship seems realistic, mature and healthy despite being in the early stages and them having a few misunderstandings/not yet fully trusting eachother. Of course, this too is natural, and I look forward to how their relationship will grow.
I'm definitely looking forward to getting more volumes of this and I'm glad as I did worry that I'd not get into it. I can see now why this series is so heavily beloved and hyped! I even see people with mostly shonen collections make an exception for this series, not just romance lovers like me.

Happy to hear you enjoyed it so much! I remember when we got it in to review here at AUKN and I was a bit hesitant about taking it on because, frankly, that cover for Volume 1 is very misleading. But these days it's probably one of my favourite romance series, it's just so wholesome and realistic when it comes to what it means to be in a long term relationship. There is no needless drama to distract from the story it's trying to tell. :)

Happy to hear you enjoyed it so much! I remember when we got it in to review here at AUKN and I was a bit hesitant about taking it on because, frankly, that cover for Volume 1 is very misleading. But these days it's probably one of my favourite romance series, it's just so wholesome and realistic when it comes to what it means to be in a long term relationship. There is no needless drama to distract from the story it's trying to tell. :)
It certainly is pretty misleading, but I guess you should never judge a book by its cover (or title) afterall! I'm really looking forward to read more.

I read the first volume of JK Haru is a Sex Worker in Another World and... I'm hooked! I want to re-read it all over again.

To be honest, I didn't know what to expect from this one, but what I did know is that I loved the art and found the premise very interesting and appealing. I'm no isekai fan, normally I avoid the genre (no hate but it's just not for me!), but rarely some of the more unique/subversive ones appeal to me and this was one of those.
I actually expected it to be kind of depressing and focus much more on her suffering but it wasn't, really. I'm thankful for that as it's not what I wanted to read. The first page had me smiling instantly at her reaction and there were multiple parts where I laughed. I guess with the subject matter you might call it dark humour but I enjoyed it.
It is certainly not all doom and gloom, although occasionally she laments the situation she is making the best of it with what she's got.

It's basically everything I hoped it would be but wasn't sure if it would. Despite the themes, some of the 18+ scenes are... actually not unappealing (perhaps that's in part to my unusual tastes though, in the reviews I saw some people couldn't stomach them), some are just ridiculously silly (like the bard guy who's scene was just hilarious), it made sense to me when I read in the afterword that this was first published on a female orientated site as a web novel. They could have taken the ugly bastard approach and made the scenes really disgusting to drive home her suffering but they didn't.

Overall I loved everything about it. The great characters, Haru's positive attitude and witty humour, the wholesome and funny moments, the mature themes and seeing genre tropes from a different angle. It's not for everyone but I rate this one very highly and may even pick up the light novel to go with it! As someone who doesn't read light novels... that's a big compliment.

It's not for everyone but I rate this one very highly and may even pick up the light novel to go with it! As someone who doesn't read light novels... that's a big compliment.
If you are interested in the light novel then the positive is that its only a single volume and then a sequel/side story volume which actually doesn't talk about Haru's job at all, it fleshes the characters out more instead which I found interesting even if a fairly different point of view to the original book which is obviously focused on how Haru makes the best of the job and path in life she's chosen.

If you are interested in the light novel then the positive is that its only a single volume and then a sequel/side story volume which actually doesn't talk about Haru's job at all, it fleshes the characters out more instead which I found interesting even if a fairly different point of view to the original book which is obviously focused on how Haru makes the best of the job and path in life she's chosen.
Interesting, thank you for sharing the information as I wasn't really sure what to expect! I wasn't completely sold on the concept of reading a re-hashing of what I'd read in the manga but with text only, so exploring more of the world/characters seems much more interesting. Since it's only a volume and pretty cheap to pick up (my favourite online retailer of choice has it for under £9) I guess I'll go for it! Though I do kind of want to save it as material for after the manga finishes... but if I do then that'll probably be a long time from now haha.

I'm honestly surprised by how much I loved it so I want to get my hands on anything I can.

Hi! Sorry to double reply, but I just wanted to confirm with you that the Summer volume is also a light novel, I guess the one you are talking about? I'll purchase that and the regular one, but I'll save them until I'm done with the manga, I just really want to see what the manga has first hehe :D Also do you know if the manga is complete at 3 volumes? I only see up to 3 for pre-order.

Back