What manga are you reading now?

Dragon Half - Omnibus Volume 2

So this volume started not particularly strongly and seemed rather repetitive, to the point where I was starting to have reservations about whether I could really recommend it any more. Happily though, it then suddenly picked up again, and with Mink and pals (and their unwanted parents) now on an actual epic quest, albeit still a rather ridiculous one, it’s definitely giving me more Slayers-y vibes.

43297303-2483-467E-8B14-35EE4D9E9DE7.jpeg

From the additional material in the middle, it seems even the author wasn’t particularly happy with the chapters that I’d found lacking either, which certainly feels vindicating. Once you push through those though, Dragon Half is back to its strengths as ott fantasy fun that doesn’t take itself at all seriously, but this time with decidedly more of a plot. I think at this point, it probably needed that direction to stop it from becoming stale.

1253543C-0A2A-4011-BC23-58482290C37A.jpeg

With the story moving out into the wider world, our cast of heroes and villains (mainly villains) expands as on their way to challenge the demon lord Azetodeth, Mink & co are sidetracked by an unskippable side-quest to defeat Deadlai, lord of the undead and their... four generals with... elemental themes HANG ON. All of them are great. And Mink, Lufa and Pia aren’t the only ones with family issues either, as we find out little Dug, son of the demon lord, also has two older brothers to contend with who aren’t making his life any easier, especially when Vina manages to summon one of them in her own ongoing vendetta against Mink. I’m genuinely excited now to see how the story ends.

Last edited:
My Alcoholic Escape from Reality
Gosh I'd forgotten about this one after the news feeds regarding it's original publication ages ago. Glad it's here now and looking forward to delving into it. The first book was fantastic, brutal and honest, with the second in the same vein but the variations as you mentioned reflecting the author's circumstances.
Dragon Half - Omnibus Volume 2
I've now acquired the anime and it's on my list to watch, sooner rather than later hopefully, and will wait to hear your thoughts on volume 3 so see if I will risk further ballooning my watch/read list with the manga as well heh, though I suspect that will be the end result anyway..

Gosh I'd forgotten about this one after the news feeds regarding it's original publication ages ago. Glad it's here now and looking forward to delving into it. The first book was fantastic, brutal and honest, with the second in the same vein but the variations as you mentioned reflecting the author's circumstances.
The next one is coming out in March 2022. Hopefully that one won't be delayed. It's one thing worrying about the future of a fictional character, but it's another to be scared for the health and happiness of a real person.

Very true and it feels almost morbid and guilt-inducing reading her work. One can only hope & wish for the best for her and everyone in pain & suffering for what it's worth...

I worry a lot about developing pancreas stuff cuz of my diabetes... I really feel for her she must have gone through so much pain, I haven't read any of her books yet but have thought of getting them when I work through more of my backlog many times. I dunno if I could handle all that sadness but my heart goes out to her ;-; <3 I have almost finished Please Save My Earth now, read volume 20 earlier this week.

Triage X vol 7-12
Fast paced with lots of action and fan service.

Also read The Unbelievable Gwenpool, West Coast Avengers and Gwenpool Strikes Back. So much fun. An incredible character.

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 81

Houkago no Goumon ch 81

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord ch 67.2

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 183 - 184

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch 145

Miss Caretaker of Sunohara-sou ch 69, 70, 71

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou ch 73

Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World ch 48

The Princess Knight is a Classmate! ch 40

Tsugumomo ch 138

Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? ch 100

Wise Man's Granchild ch 58 - 59

Remina
Another great Junji Ito story. Very fast paced and more of a disaster story than a horror but it worked really well in his style.

Bakemonogatari part 1
Was intrigued to see what the monogatari books would be like and I'm very impressed. The first person relentless dialogue actual works very well in prose form. It's been ages since I watched the anime and this was a fun way to revisit it.

Remina
Another great Junji Ito story. Very fast paced and more of a disaster story than a horror but it worked really well in his style.

Bakemonogatari part 1
Was intrigued to see what the monogatari books would be like and I'm very impressed. The first person relentless dialogue actual works very well in prose form. It's been ages since I watched the anime and this was a fun way to revisit it.
Likewise, my first foray into light novels and found his rambling, to & fro banter style hilarious, especially with Senjougahara & Ararararararagi, oops, slip of the tongue. It almost reads like the script for a theatre play. Have started an impromptu re-watch of the anime alongside and it's proving a very satisfactory experience. This time I also tried pausing those fast paced cuts, only to see they contain a lot of the text from the book, so am happy to let them play for an uninterrupted viewing experience. Am now even more impressed with the anime adaptation with the unique animation style and score being ridiculously effective at bringing the story to life with pizzazz.

It almost reads like the script for a theatre play.
That's a really good way to describe it. It always amazed me how the show made itself so engaging and well paced when its 90% just people talking and reading this first book it's clear it's because the source material was written that way. Fast paced verbal action. Blending exposition and character amd story into one big dialogue with a big dose of humour.

That's a really good way to describe it. It always amazed me how the show made itself so engaging and well paced when its 90% just people talking and reading this first book it's clear it's because the source material was written that way. Fast paced verbal action. Blending exposition and character amd story into one big dialogue with a big dose of humour.
Exactly, I was always very impressed with how good a show, that is almost exclusively composed of conversations, could hold your attention. The main reason is clearly the source material, being such a fun read without any of the additional audiovisual support. Having said that, Shaft's adaptation really does the source material justice and more.

Exactly, I was always very impressed with how good a show, that is almost exclusively composed of conversations, could hold your attention. The main reason is clearly the source material, being such a fun read without any of the additional audiovisual support. Having said that, Shaft's adaptation really does the source material justice and more.
Indeed it does. I cant help but feel the anime is much better off because its adapting light novels rather than manga which would be much more visually beholden to the source. As the books are mostly dialogue the show has the licence to be visually more creative and try things out. Something Shaft has always been good at but Monogatari really let's them push that to its peak.

As the books are mostly dialogue the show has the licence to be visually more creative and try things out. Something Shaft has always been good at but Monogatari really let's them push that to its peak.
Very true and anime lovers are definitely better off as a result. I thought the manga came much later, after both the novels & anime, presumably taking cues from the anime and is it not still ongoing? Probably wrong heh.

Very true and anime lovers are definitely better off as a result. I thought the manga came much later, after both the novels & anime, presumably taking cues from the anime and is it not still ongoing? Probably wrong heh.
I didnt even realise there was a manga version of Monogatari. From the look of things it's very recent so yeah must be inspired by the anime.

Heh yeah as a fan the temptation was certainly there to check that out as well, but I think I shall be sticking to novel + anime combo for now. Good timing as well, given the final novel boxset & anime parts are coming to UK soon.

Thanks again to @SAHO for the heads up on the first novel boxset reissue, I've definitely confirmed my appreciation for the novels too!

Mushishi vol 10
I read the first chapter, but with difficulty as the missing page problem happened about 5 times. With my internet down I couldn't re-download so had to read them on my phone which was very difficult.

Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro vol 7
Zoo.

Back