What manga are you reading now?

Read the first two chapters of Kare Kano yesterday. I'm enjoying it, but I think I'm finding that shojo is much more suited to anime than manga. I loved Fruits Basket the anime, but I'm not so sure I'd like Fruits Basket the manga as much.

CitizenGeek said:
Read the first two chapters of Kare Kano yesterday. I'm enjoying it, but I think I'm finding that shojo is much more suited to anime than manga. I loved Fruits Basket the anime, but I'm not so sure I'd like Fruits Basket the manga as much.

I'm not sure it's so much which suits what better, rather you tend to be more aligned to the one that you saw/read first? I saw the Fushigi Yugi anime before reading the manga and remember it took a while to get into the reading of it. I love both the anime and manga of Fruits Baskets but it's true that after the happyly paced anime one might feel the meandering pace of the manga a bit err... (I don't though :wink: ) Would you feel it would lessen your appreciation of FB if you didn't enjoy it as much as the anime?

Reading Samurai Deeper Kyo 24

Trigunette said:
I'm not sure it's so much which suits what better, rather you tend to be more aligned to the one that you saw/read first?

That could very well be it. I haven't seen or read much shojo, so I'm not exactly sure of my opinion on this. But, I haven't seen the Kare Kano anime, I'm just assuming it would work better as anime, because Fruits Basket was such a fantastic shojo anime.

Would you feel it would lessen your appreciation of FB if you didn't enjoy it as much as the anime?

Yes, definitely. Plus, I kind of make it a point not to watch anime adaptations of manga I've already read - except on those rare occasions where the anime and manga are significantly different like with Fullmetal Alchemist or Evangelion). Manga just isn't as compelling when you've seen it all already, the reverse is true also although there are very few worthwhile TV-to-manga adaptations, no?

CitizenGeek said:
Would you feel it would lessen your appreciation of FB if you didn't enjoy it as much as the anime?

Yes, definitely. Plus, I kind of make it a point not to watch anime adaptations of manga I've already read - except on those rare occasions where the anime and manga are significantly different like with Fullmetal Alchemist or Evangelion). Manga just isn't as compelling when you've seen it all already, the reverse is true also although there are very few worthwhile TV-to-manga adaptations, no?

Hmm yeah the only one that comes to mind off bat is Samurai Champloo hehe.
I generally read the manga first, partly for that reason, and let a fair time pass before I watch the anime. I'd hate to be spoiled for plot or character developement or whatever in the manga, but there's other things going for the anime so I don't mind as much for knowing roughly what comes next.
One anime I'm already quite keen on despite only having read 2 volumes of is Mushishi, maybe I have enough of a two rail brain to be able to handle it :D

Reading Night Of The Beast volume 5 yaaaaay.

I just read the short story at the end of Kare Kano and it was great. I think I enjoyed it more than the Kare Kano content in that book, to be honest. It was about an extremely shy girl, whos' glasses get broken by the school hunk and said hunk vows to be her eyes for the week, while her glasses are fixed. Very sweet story, I'm glad it was short and not drawn out. Speaking of being drawn out, Kare Kano has about 22 volumes, right?

Also read the first chapter of vol. 9 of Case Closed. I adore Case Closed so much!

Just finish One Piece 14 & 15 Now waiting on the rest of my order, which includes Vol 16 of One Piece

Also reading Because I'm the Goddess, its funny and kinda enjoyable at the same time

I haven't posted in a while so I'll list the series I've started in the last few weeks.

Bleach 1-4,
Hunter X Hunter 1-4,
Gon 1,
Gyo 1,
Uzumaki 1,
Monster 1-6,
Hellsing 1-3,
Vagabond 1-4,
Barefoot Gen 1,
MPD Psycho 1-2,
Oldboy 1-2,
Zombie Powder 1-2,