What manga are you reading now?

Over the last week or two I've read volumes 1-2 of XXXHolic and also made a start on catching up with 'sister series' Tsubasa (partway through volume 3 atm). Some story points seem to fit a bit better in the Tsubasa manga than they did in the anime and so far Sakura seems less annoying, but of course it lacks that excellent soundtrack. XXXHolic is shaping up to be the better of the two series, though; I'm now looking forward to the TV series (and seeing more of black Mokona) even more.

Aside from finishing up the second Death Note volume last night, I've been reading a charming little manga/manwha hybrid called, Zombie Hunter. It's a difficult series to pin down, imagine a cross between The Running Man, Battle Royale (the manga especially) and John Carpenter's The Thing and you have a vague idea. It's pure trash, but entertaining trash nonetheless, plus it has zombies, what's not to like? ;)

I finished the second book of Death note as well - it's proving to be an excellent series. I was a little surprised at how Light is behaving now though. He's getting very ruthless and a little more like the psychopathic Kira persona. In fact, L is such a great opponent I'm starting to root for him instead in places!

It's a real shame Penber's fiancee was killed off so early on - I think her character is good enough to warrant an apearance that lasts longer than one volume. Here's hoping she somehow survives the suicide that Light has written for her, eh? (plus the fact that she's damn cute) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just finished reading EtCetera vol 6 and I bought Blazin Barrels vol 1 and 2 at the weekend, ohh and Orphen vol 1 aswell but I'm saving them for when i go to America for the flight over there. I want vol 10 of DNAngel and vol 8 of Mahoromatic!! :cry: :cry: But they've been delayed.
Can someone tell me if XXX-aholic is any good? and whats it about?

DarkKaiser said:
I want vol 10 of DNAngel and vol 8 of Mahoromatic!! :cry: :cry: But they've been delayed.

Don't know about DNAngel 10, but Mahoromatic 8 (final) is out. Was posted out to me yesterday.

DarkKaiser said:
Can someone tell me if XXX-aholic is any good? and whats it about?

Yes its good. Better than its partner series Tsubasa. From the blurb:

"Watanuke Kimihiro is a man haunted by visions, until he is drawn to the mysterious witch Yuuko, who offers to help vanquish the spirits that torment him... for a price. Now, to pay off his debt, Watanuki must work for Yuuko in her mysterious shop... where wishes are granted to those in need.

But those who seek Yuuko's aid - like a woman with a strange creeping paralysis, and a housewife addicted to her computer - must also pay a price: the sacrifice of something precious. It's an odd and eerie business that only gets stranger when clients from other realms begin to arrive - including two unusual visitors, named Sakura and Syaoran, from a land called Clow... "

Its good, I like the artwork which is cleaner than the much rougher Tsubasa. In many ways its is similar to Clamps older series Tokyo Babylon (which is excellent, complete, and better than xxxHolic even). Most of the stories are short interesting pieces where Watanuke helps Yuuko in her efforts to cleanse people of their supernatural problems. It plays the comedy angle well and the characters are very good and likeable. The whole Tsubasa crossover thing is a pure gimmick, xxxHolic could have done without it (Tsubasa couldn't - its the main plot device) and it intrudes a little. Interestingly xxxHolic is doing its own brand of Clamp-allstars. Whereas Tsubasa has versions of the MKR, CHobits, RG Veda, School Detectives floating about, the cast of Tokyo Babylon & X are present in the xxxHolic world. I can't see them making an appearance - wouldn't work, xxxHolic is strong enough to not need that kind of stuff.

OK thanks for telling me. I buy my manga from Forbidden planet, and the recent shipment has been delayed, so I'll have to wait till Saturday.

I think a whole bunch of stuff has been delayed from December into January. It seems to be a channel/distributer issue as it is affecting the web shops as well as FP/comic shops.

And of course I am talking about the import stuff. I am not certain if the locally available stuff has been affected, but thats such a small subset of the total manga available that it doesn't seem to factor in....

Anyway, I have been starting through some of my recent arrivals. Ray volume 3 was great. Really liking this series (love the character design) and its great that it is one of the few series that ADV are still releasing. I kinda wished I re-read the older volumes to catch up, would have been easier to follow the growing conspiracy thing. They have announced an anime for this too ... one to watch indeed.

Read Nodame vol2 - the first volume was a lot of fun, but vol2 really hits its stride and is a complete riot! I love genuinely funny manga, and this is quickly becoming a favourite.

I've read both volumes of FLCL, and tbh I was actually a little disappointed.

I've started a separeate thread for this since I rambled on for longer than expected!

I got volume 1 of Antique Bakery last week as a bit of a late Christmas present, and after enjoying the first volume i bought the second.
For a Yaoi series i have to say it is distinctly lacking any Yaoi, though all the same i am enjoying the series so far. It reminds me a little of Yakitate Japan because it's alot about food that makes your mouth water, it's funny also, and it has some interesting characters. And the added bonus of cool scratch and sniff front covers, the first being Strawberry, and the second Chocolate :D

Just finished vol 10 of DNAngel. I love that series. Still saving books for when I'm going away, so resisting to read some of 'em.

Back