What manga are you reading now?

I Got Reincarnated in a (BL) World of Big (Man) Books volume 1 - Enjoyed this, pokes fun at the BL genre in all the right ways while teaching you quite a bit about it if you're unaware of the tropes.

Goodbye, Overtime! This Reincarnated Villainess is Living for Her Big Brother volume 1 (LN) - As the title suggests this is an isekai about an overworked office worker reborn in another world as the villainess. She's in a world she's familiar with from an otome game and knowing the story wants to have a quiet life by her brothers side (who in the story is long-suffering but she wants to give a better life now she can change the course of things). You're going to have to be okay with the idea of the sister eventually dating him, but I don't really mind since you do have that reincarnation element to take away some of the incest factor.

Witch Enforcer (complete, Manga Plus) - Not a bad short fantasy series by any means, had some lovely artwork as well.

The Masterful Cat is Depressed Again Today volume 1 (JP) - Picked this up for a book club having watched the anime previously. It was fun, but quite repetitive and lacks any real stakes or depth. Will probably pick up more of it, but it's not something to read back to back volumes of.

She Likes Gays, but Not Me volume 1 - The name doesn't really do this justice as it projects an image of a romance, which this really isn't! Quite a few interesting ideas but I'm not sure they will have enough time to play out properly. There's definitely moments that make you question why the situation is the way it is when it comes to the MC's feelings, but a lot of these can be explained away by being set in Japan where LGBT support and awareness is so much worse.

RVing My Way Into Exile With My Beloved Cat: This Villainess is Trippin' volume 2 (LN) - Now we're past the set-up stage this has ended up being pretty entertaining. The MC is still going around in her RV, keeping the title relevant when so many other isekai would soon forget.

Heavenly Swords of the Twin Stars volume 2 (LN) - Somewhat surprised I'm still on the hook for this as I really don't like one of the authors other series, but I'm a sucker for these reincarnations with past memories and no one has quite realised the other character is also reborn.

Continuing on more or less as they were:

Cooking with Wild Game volume 9
Rebuild World Volume 8
D-Gensis: Three Years Since the Dungeon Appearared volume 6 (LN)
An Introvert's Hookup Hiccups: This Gyaru is Head over Heels for Me! volume 7 (LN)
In the Name of the Mermaid Princess volume 2
Reborn to Master the Blade: From Hero-King to Extraordinary Squire volume 4

She Loves to Cook, And She Loves to Eat Volume 3 - At last, progress!

Earl and Fairy volume 6 (LN)

Seirei Gensouki: Spirit Chronicles volume 10

After We Gazed at the Starry Sky volume 2 - Really enjoyed this volume, was a good way to continue showing us the lives of these two characters. I appreciated seeing good supportive parents too.

Like a Butterfly volume 2 (JP) - Technically a reread since I've read vol 1-3 before, but wanted to finally dive into my physical copies.

My Quiet Blacksmith Life in Another World volume 1 - Another one where I've dropped the LN previously, but like the concept enough to read the manga.

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 160 - 161

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord ch 104.1 - 104.3

Hajimete no Gal ch 182

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 309 - 310

Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World ch 84 - 85

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime ch 118

The Rising of the Shield Hero ch 106

Bought some volume 1s of more yuri manga and thought I'd go through them to see if I should grab the rest during the Bookwalker coin back event.

I Can't Say No to the Lonely Girl vol 1
Pretty contrived way of getting the 2 together and due to the contrivance the motive of one is not fully clear and the other is doing the "is this love thing", but despite that they are pretty cute together. It also has some funny moments.
The art is very nice too.

Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl vol 1
A slight twist in that the MC starts out as a boy and then becomes a girl... Because an alien crashed into him and something went wrong with the repair job!
There's 2 (3 if you include the alien ship anthropomorphised as a cute girl!) love interests at the moment, the girl (Yasuna) who rejected him as a boy, but really fancies her now and the childhood friend (Tomari) who seems to have secretly loved him as a boy, but is struggling with her feelings now she's a girl.
As an older title it's using the gender bending to skirt what would be homosexual in nature if the MC of the story wasn't "really a boy". Also the nature of the reason Yasuna rejected him, but fancies her is that she has a condition where she can't see male faces, not even her fathers and she didn't want admit her feelings for the MC as a boy (the only male that she saw a bit more clearly) just in case he faded again, but now he is a she, Yasuna can see her fully!
The art is of its time too.

Yuri Espoir vol 1
A girl who's just started her last year of high school has just been informed that she is to be married in a years time due to her father's business needs. She then announces to her friend and fellow (only other) member of the Art Club that she wants to experience yuri stories. So whenever they're out together and she spots a couple of girls/women together she takes out a sketchbook and draws them secretly and makes up a yuri story about them. This part makes up the first half of a 2 part chapter, although each part is a normal chapters length. The second half tells the real story of what's happening between the couples our MC draws, which isn't quite what our MC imagines to varying degrees including one where the outcome isn't yuri at all! For example for one of the couples our MC sees a tall handsome woman dressed as a man with a cute petite woman and imagines it's some sort of paid date situation, but turns out that the tall one is a twin and her brother is a bit of a 2 timer and has double booked himself on 2 different dates, but instead of telling him to sort it himself she agrees to go on one of the dates for him. Just as she's about to reveal the truth after feeling a bit guilty about it the brother shows up and reveals it himself! He asks to switch in, but the girl picks the sister instead after having a much better time with her than with the brother! The first half of these chapters also starts developing a plot of its own rather than just being a framing devise for all the yuri. You see the other girl is in love with our MC and thus starts plotting to find a way of breaking off the engagement. This also starts involving their teacher and supervisor of the Art Club who turns out to be gay and loves the man our MC is engaged to!!
So yeah, pretty interesting format!

Yuri Espoir vol 1
A girl who's just started her last year of high school has just been informed that she is to be married in a years time due to her father's business needs. She then announces to her friend and fellow (only other) member of the Art Club that she wants to experience yuri stories. So whenever they're out together and she spots a couple of girls/women together she takes out a sketchbook and draws them secretly and makes up a yuri story about them. This part makes up the first half of a 2 part chapter, although each part is a normal chapters length. The second half tells the real story of what's happening between the couples our MC draws, which isn't quite what our MC imagines to varying degrees including one where the outcome isn't yuri at all! For example for one of the couples our MC sees a tall handsome woman dressed as a man with a cute petite woman and imagines it's some sort of paid date situation, but turns out that the tall one is a twin and her brother is a bit of a 2 timer and has double booked himself on 2 different dates, but instead of telling him to sort it himself she agrees to go on one of the dates for him. Just as she's about to reveal the truth after feeling a bit guilty about it the brother shows up and reveals it himself! He asks to switch in, but the girl picks the sister instead after having a much better time with her than with the brother! The first half of these chapters also starts developing a plot of its own rather than just being a framing devise for all the yuri. You see the other girl is in love with our MC and thus starts plotting to find a way of breaking off the engagement. This also starts involving their teacher and supervisor of the Art Club who turns out to be gay and loves the man our MC is engaged to!!
So yeah, pretty interesting format!

Your description had me riveted! :)

Number 4:
Even Though We're Adults vol 1
This one is full blown drama. A teacher (Ayano) goes to a bar on her way home after having meetings the parents of her students at school and strikes up a conversation with a woman (Akari) she's seated next to. Next thing she knows they're kissing and heading back to the women's apartment. However next time they meet at the bar, where Akari just happens to work at, Ayano is with her husband!
From the mangaka of Wondering Son and Sweet Blue Flowers.

No. 5
The Moon on a Rainy Night vol 1
One night on the way home from piano practice Saki bumps into a beautiful longhaired girl, but the interaction is bit weird. Lo and behold on the first day of high school guess who's next to her in class, none other than the girl from the other night. Her name is Kanon and she's hard of hearing, which explains the odd interaction between them. However, at school she acts a lot colder than that night and refuses any attempt at getting to know her, but Saki is determined to get to know her more.
Very pretty artwork.

Right of the 5 I'd say I'm most intrigued by the drama starting to unfold in ETWA and the mix of fun little vignettes and the more dramatic overarching plot of Yuri Espoir. Rainy Night seems like it'll be a very slow burn, and Kashimashi and Lonely Girl have different problems that don't put me off completely, but they'll be on the back burner.

I read Chainsaw Man 1 last night.

I have a really sweet one, The Girl from the Other Side which I liked a lot.

I wish the library by me stocked all the manga so I could just sit and read all day!

I have a really sweet one, The Girl from the Other Side which I liked a lot.

I wish the library by me stocked all the manga so I could just sit and read all day!

I have the deluxe hardcovers of TGftOS! I loved that manga so much :) Do you mostly go to the library for manga or do you mean you would if they did stock it? :)

I’ve found most library groups have it somewhere in their system even if it’s not in your local one. I’ve read a bunch of stuff this way, it definitely saved me a bunch of cash in the past.
Definitely, although when i win the lottery I shall have a library and a comfy seating arrangement and all the Manga I wish for 🤣 you can come and visit!

Back