What manga are you reading now?

My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong, As I Expected volume 11 (LN)
How are the light novels for this compared to the anime in your opinion? I don't generally read LNs (not enough time!), but I loved the anime for these.
Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction volume 12 (complete) - Extremely disappointed in the conclusion to this one.
Likewise, it definitely lost steam near the end despite wanting to introduce new ideas but then the conclusion just felt like the plug was pulled or Asano just couldn't be bothered anymore. Still a fun ride though and maybe the anime will improve the ending?
Horimiya volume 15 - Almost at the end :( Will definitely finish up the series before the anime comes back, mostly to dull the pain of letting go of a cast of characters I have grown extremely attached to.
I feel exactly the same, great characters that you just don't want to let go off. Can't remember where I stopped but partly down to wanting to have something left to be able to come back to heh. Reminds of Tsuredure children, where the characters were all really likeable despite such a massive cast.
Blood on the Tracks Volume 7 - 😱o_O🫠
Heheh, we've learnt to expect the unexpected with this chap eh

'Ayaka is in Love with Hiroko' ch1-10 - This series takes the "useless lesbian" trope to its absolute extreme. This woman is displaying absolutely unforeseen levels of density when it comes to recognising when she's being hit on. And yet I can't stop reading, I love them so. As of chapter 10, Ayaka has told Hiroko to her face that she likes women, after both of them encountered each other in a lesbian bar, and declared her love for Hiroko quite directly at least three times. I am watching on in horror wondering just how the author will have her mentally contort herself into denial this time, it will be a sight to behold. God it's so good, just hook it to my veins!

Last edited:
'Ayaka is in Love with Hiroko' ch1-10 - This series takes the "useless lesbian" trope to its absolute extreme. This woman is displaying absolutely unforeseen levels of density when it comes to recognising when she's being hit on. And yet I can't stop reading, I love them so. As of chapter 10, Ayaka has told Hiroko to her face that she likes women, after both of them encountered each other in a lesbian bar, and declared her love for Hiroko quite directly at least three times. I am watching on in horror wondering just how the author will have her mentally contort herself into denial this time, it willl be a sight to behold. God it's so good, just hook it to my veins!

As a lowkey bisexual disaster I find this kinda stuff so relatable like I am so awkward w dating and sex and stuff (even though I have a lot of experience w both now!) 😭

Did School-Live have yuri vibes or am I just imagining/misremembering that? It totally seemed like at least some of them were gay for each other but I didn't pay close attention to every second. On the topic of zombies I wonder if anyone has done a queer variation on Warm Bodies (by Isaac Marion) yet? (I've just realised this is the general manga thread not the yuri thread but ah well I'll post anyway) XP :)

As a lowkey bisexual disaster I find this kinda stuff so relatable like I am so awkward w dating and sex and stuff (even though I have a lot of experience w both now!) 😭
It's so funny because the coming out chapter doesn't even seem to have tangibly changed the cluelessness of Hiroko. She goes from "that straight girl Ayaka definitely likes her male senpai, why else would she say she loves senpai when drunk?" to "huh she doesn't seem close to any other female senpai at the office, I wonder who she likes?". IT'S YOU DUMMY! 😭

Did School-Live have yuri vibes or am I just imagining/misremembering that? It totally seemed like at least some of them were gay for each other but I didn't pay close attention to every second. On the topic of zombies I wonder if anyone has done a queer variation on Warm Bodies (by Isaac Marion) yet? (I've just realised this is the general manga thread not the yuri thread but ah well I'll post anyway) XP :)
I am entirely unfamiliar with School-Live and am not aware of a queer 'Warm Bodies', although that is something I would love to see.

It's so funny because the coming out chapter doesn't even seem to have tangibly changed the cluelessness of Hiroko. She goes from "that straight girl Ayaka definitely likes her male senpai, why else would she say she loves senpai when drunk?" to "huh she doesn't seem close to any other female senpai at the office, I wonder who she likes?". IT'S YOU DUMMY! 😭

I am entirely unfamiliar with School-Live and am not aware of a queer 'Warm Bodies', although that is something I would love to see.

Rooting for our girl Hiroko to become less clueless :) <3

School-Live is worth a watch IMO, the anime is a satisfying complete story, I haven't read the manga but I would like to. It's about four girls getting trapped in their school when there is a zombie outbreak and I def remember some yuri vibes between some of the characters I just kinda... IDK wondered if anyone else wanted to talk about the series or had read the manga and had an opinion on it or possibly had a different take than I did :)

How are the light novels for this compared to the anime in your opinion? I don't generally read LNs (not enough time!), but I loved the anime for these.

About the same honestly, the anime was a fairly straight forward adaptation of them. I think if you liked the anime you would enjoy the books and there's definitely some stuff the anime cut out just because of time restraints, but at the same time I wouldn't say you've had a lesser experience. :)
Likewise, it definitely lost steam near the end despite wanting to introduce new ideas but then the conclusion just felt like the plug was pulled or Asano just couldn't be bothered anymore. Still a fun ride though and maybe the anime will improve the ending?
I really hope so. It's just such a shame because Asano normally nails the endings even for longer series, so it's even more disappointing that this one fell apart.

About the same honestly, the anime was a fairly straight forward adaptation of them.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Good to know that I haven't missed much and the completionist in me can chill and hope to read the light novels whenever possible some day in the future.
I really hope so. It's just such a shame because Asano normally nails the endings even for longer series, so it's even more disappointing that this one fell apart.
Yeah it was unexpected and a bit floundering. Yet it had potential, but felt like the start of a different manga altogether and not the end of one. Hoping the ending can be improved in the anime if they can manage to make and complete it.

My Coworker Has a Secret (vol 1)
It's fine, but does nothing to stand out from the josei romance crowd. Like an increasing number of stories, this one seemingly just exists to validate the lifestyles of the people reading it. The protagonist is a trainwreck of an otaku who falls into the lap of Mr Perfect through a string of unconvincing coincidences. This guy thinks she's wonderful because she spends every waking moment talking about the actor she idolises, never criticises her, and ends up pretty much taking care of her like a pet. Meanwhile she constantly gets into misunderstandings where she thinks he's up to something shady, despite that obviously not being the case.

It's reasonably funny in places, and the characters are likeable enough, but I had a persistent feeling of deja vu throughout. There's no unique selling point to the story and everything it tries has been done better elsewhere.

5/10

'My Sister's Best Friend, My Lover' c1-14 - I'll admit I took a slight gamble on this one because it could very easily have been an incest series (it sort of is but not in the usual sense), but the synopsis and the title suggested something slightly different to me so I rolled those dice. To put it simply, the first two volumes of this are pretty much pure drama.

The main character Sena is a novelist who is full of self loathing because she is in love with her older sister, and since her sister went abroad for work she has purposely cut off contact out of fear that she won't be able to keep it secret. Meanwhile, her sister's ex-girlfriend Kiku has been checking in on her every day and generally making sure she doesn't die. After a while of this dynamic, Kiku reveals she is in love with Sena and asks to date her and they become lovers.

I was so happy with the direction this series decided to go in. Earlyish in the story Sena meets her sister again and while not revealing everything to her, lets some of her feelings out and decides to move on with her life with Kiku. Sena developing that relationship appears to be the actual conceit of the manga (as the title suggested). In my opinion this series handles an incredibly heavy topic that is often leveraged for fetishism with a great deal of maturity. I am very intrigued to see where this ends up going, it's quite a fascinating series.

Last edited:
'Death's Daughter and the Ebony Blade' vol 1-2 (light novel) - I've not got much to say about this series other than the fact that I love my sweet brainless murder child.

Reread of 'Citrus' vol 1-10, and 'Citrus+' vol 1-5 - I actually rate this even higher than on my first read now. Yuzu and Mei's relationship is absolutely adorable, Yuzu is like a ray of sunshine that lights up Mei's life and slowly causes her to open up and start valuing herself. The original series is quite dramatic in a way I really liked, and most of Citrus+ is a sweet SoL style affair which focuses on the committed couple deepening their bond with each other after having overcome huge obstacles to be together, along with other chapters focusing on the lives of their friends.

I know this series gets a lot of hate especially in yuri spaces, but if you've only ever encountered it through the anime, I would highly recommend giving the manga a look. The anime was a very bad, flawed adaptation that did a lot of damage to the series' reputation. Plus Saburouta's god-like art is a big draw for this manga that the anime didn't even come close to replicating.

Horimiya volume 16 (complete) - I feel like this started to lose steam in the last few volumes. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed spending time with the cast, but it definitely feels like it fizzles out. I was hoping we'd get to see a flash to the future and the two dorks getting married, so I was disappointed that wasn't in there. Maybe it'll be in the new bonus volume coming out in Japan next month...

Yakuza Fiancé: Raise wa Tanin ga Ii volume 3 - Happier than I should be that the series finally confirmed our MC did not actually lose her kidney as that had been bugging me. More interested in seeing where it's going now!

Sasaki and Miyano volume 8 - A fairly plot light volume, which is fine since it did have the two share a proposal like moment, but I think I'm hoping that it will tackle some of the troubles a couple split between two different times in their life face. We've not really see anything creep up now Sasaki is attending college, but ordinarily the new distance and inability to see each other as often would cause a minor rift imo. I know this series isn't the most realistic nor drama-filled, but still now that they're going into adulthood I think a storyline like that would make more sense.

March Comes in Like a Lion volume 1 - It's no secret that I have been unhappy about the release of March Comes in Like a Lion, having missed its release date several times and then having a delay on the UK stock even when it did make it out in the US. This has been a nightmare to get a hold of and there's been more than once where I considered cancelling it. However, now that I have the finished product in my hands I'm really glad I waited it out. This is an attractive paperback complete with a foldout colour page and high quality paper. A real reminder of why I still buy so many physical books and certainly makes me more interested in continuing on with this series even if it will be a nightmare to collect should the problems persist.

I watched the March anime so in terms of the content I already knew what I was getting. I don't play / care much for Shogi, but the character storylines are more than enough to keep me interested. I love the cast. There's some really funny panels featuring the cats too, who I had forgotten where such a big part of the series.

Continuing on as they were:
Ascendance of a Bookworm volume 26 (LN)
Hell Mode: The Hardcore Gamer Dominates in Another World with Garbage Balancing volume 6 (LN)
A Couple of Cuckoos volume 11

March Comes in Like a Lion volume 1 - It's no secret that I have been unhappy about the release of March Comes in Like a Lion, having missed its release date several times and then having a delay on the UK stock even when it did make it out in the US. This has been a nightmare to get a hold of and there's been more than once where I considered cancelling it. However, now that I have the finished product in my hands I'm really glad I waited it out. This is an attractive paperback complete with a foldout colour page and high quality paper. A real reminder of why I still buy so many physical books and certainly makes me more interested in continuing on with this series even if it will be a nightmare to collect should the problems persist.
I'm so glad that your copy has eventually been delivered and that it was well worth the wait! (It sounds to me as if the US edition is rather nicer - and bigger than the French which was the one I was reading but neglected after a while - Denpa/KUMA produce some really lovely editions but boy, do we have to wait a long time for them!)

I do worry they’ll slow down dramatically with March should it not sell well either. There’s a lot of it and it has been no secret that the whole project has been very difficult for them.

I’ve only got a couple of other releases from Denpa (nothing from Kuma yet but plenty of attractive series over there…) but they’re both single volume works so this will be my first time collecting something longer. Hopefully getting the rest of March won’t be quite is frustrating as Vol 1 😅

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody ch 96

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 134 - 135

Hajimete no Gal ch 160

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord ch 96.1 - 97.3

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch 173

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 280 - 282

Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World ch 74

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime ch 108

The Honor Student's Secret Job ch 37

The Rising of the Shield Hero ch 97

Back