What manga are you reading now?

Behind the Scenes volume 6

A Side Character's Love Story volumes 1-3

Ran the Peerless Beauty volume 2

Cooking with Wild Game volume 7 (light novel)

Ascendance of a Bookworm volume 5

After Hours volumes 1-2
Read volume 1 again since it's been months since I started this series and somehow forgot to read the other volumes. Also turns out Aphex Twin makes for fitting background noise when reading.

Tokyo Ghoul chs 59-65
Raid!
There's only 7 chapters available at any one time and it's not enough to cover the whole arc, so I'll have to wait until the next chapters become available. It does mean though that I'm nearing the end of the first season of the anime.

The only thing I’ve been reading lately is watamote and now I’m up to volume 10. @Takei Daloui told me that things get better beyond what the series adapts, @Takei Daloui lied.

it gets worse, oh so much worse. There’s a lot more interaction with other characters later on but virtually all of those interactions are a cringe fest. One girl, I can only describe as someone who thinks tomoko is after her “lucky charms” when tomoko only turns up now

The New Gate Volume 1

Loner Life in Another World Volume 1

xxxHolic volume 1 - Jumping down a CLAMP rabbit hole with some friends, so reading this and started Tsubasa atm...

Dragon Goes House-hunting volume 3

Witch Craft Works volume 1

Waiting for Spring volume 1

Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei volume 1

Imperfect girl volume 1

No Longer Human by Junji Ito (original novel by Osamu Dazai)
First of all I should say reading this during a global pandemic when we are in lockdown and unable to be with friends and family is a really bad idea. As well told as this is, it's so bleak and cynical about humanity and relationships that's it's been pretty bad for my state of mind.

Overall the art is great as to be expected from JI and the story is well paced and well told but if you've looking for one of his horror works looks elsewhere. This is a sad look at life through a lens that can only see the very worst of life, humanity, others and themselves. This is easily the bleakest thing I've ever read. The main character is both abused and abuser, terrified of others but so charismatic people are just drawn to him. Every decisions he makes ruins his or someone else's life. The book is unrelenting in its misery.

Also women get a pretty weird deal in this book. On the one hand there are many women characters in this story and they are distinct with different personalities but in the other hand most of their stories can be reduced to - lays on on him. Consumed by need to be in his pants.

I think if I'd read this with my life in a normal place I would have enjoyed it a lot more. As is if you're thinking about reading it wait until the lockdown is over. It's one of those books that seems like everyone should read it, just not right now.

It's long or short story? All stories from Ito are cool, but for me the longer ones are definitely better. More developed and interesting (like Uzumaki or Gyo).

It's long or short story? All stories from Ito are cool, but for me the longer ones are definitely better. More developed and interesting (like Uzumaki or Gyo).
Long. It's over 600 pages. Although it's his trademark art style it's a very different type of story than he usually does as hes adapting another writers novel.

Knight of the Ice #1 (review to follow) by Yayoi Igawa (Kimi wa Pet)
Witch Hat Atelier #5 (also review to follow) by Kamome Shirahama
Secret XXX by Meguru Hinohara (SuBLime)

The only thing I’ve been reading lately is watamote and now I’m up to volume 10. @Takei Daloui told me that things get better beyond what the series adapts, @Takei Daloui lied.

it gets worse, oh so much worse. There’s a lot more interaction with other characters later on but virtually all of those interactions are a cringe fest. One girl, I can only describe as someone who thinks tomoko is after her “lucky charms” when tomoko only turns up now

Eh, I thought it got a bit better, but then I read some stuff that is nearer the latest stuff, where Tomoko has friends and some more normal moments. I figured it had gotten less cringy over time because of that and from the parts I've seen, and from rereading parts in the middle of the series it did appear that way to me. But then that might be because the very early stuff was really cringe worthy to read.

Back